Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Henry is a healthy 8 month old puppy but a very light eater. I feed him Purina Pro Plan puppy food - and have since we got him at 9 weeks. He is does not seem to be underweight for his height but he is on the small side. Like I said, he is a light eater. He has never been a scarfer! We have tried adding Nutrical to his food, and he likes it but it gets very expensive. Any suggestions to adding extra calories to Henry's diet?

Terri

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have no clue, as I have never had this problem. Belles is wayyyy happy to eat all of her food...and anyone else's that happens to be around.

Could your vet possibly make a recommendation? Maybe another food/brand might be more tempting? Could you go 1/2 and 1/2 on the Nutrical and Puppy Pro?

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
If he's not underweight, but simply on the slim side, I don't think you've got anything to worry about. Puppies go through growth spurts and then ease off, so his lack of appetite could be a phase or he could just be a light eater. In the overall scheme of things, this is a positive. Keeping dogs on the slim side is much better for their bones and joints, and a slim dog has less chance of developing some diseases.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would switch foods personally but I know lots of members love pro plan. JMHO though.

I wouldn't worry too much about him being 'small' or anything as long as he's not horribly thin. How big are his parents? If he's not bred to be a big dog he's not going to be one no matter how much you feed him.

Storee was very thin for the longest time, when she was just about 3 she finally started to put some weight on but she's still not a big/fat dog at all. If the meat I get isn't fatty or I don't cook up some grains of some sort she looses it fairly quickly, and she still eats about the same amount as the other two dogs combined (one older golden and a slightly smaller border collie who is very active as well).

Lana

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Flip gulps down everything in sight and he's still small. He's also eight months and only 43 pounds. I wouldn't worry about it unless he seems to be really underweight, which you said he's not.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
How much does he eat a day? Do you leave it down or have the bowl down for a certain time? They do slow down on their eating about 6 months on, so it might not be anything wrong. You could switch him over to adult food. Maybe add alittle bit of canned to it or put a little low sodium broth on it and heat it in the microwave for about 10 seconds. They use their nose more for liking food than taste buds so heating it up helps to bring the smell out.
Also if your vet does not seem concerned with his weight, then I would also not worry. It is better to have a slimmer golden to help the joints. My Bama was a slow eater and just could take it or leave it at food time. So I had to do tough love and put it down for 10 minutes then take it up. He then started learning to eat right away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not free feed. It is not really that he has slowed down on his eating, he has always been a light eater. When we first got him, we thought he was never going to eat! As a result we tried a lot of foods and finally it was the pro plan and nutrical that did the trick. However, if the cat happens to be hungry when I put his food down, it is fine with him - she can have it. If I could find peanut butter flavored food, that might do the trick!! Lol! I certainly do not mind him being on the small side, I am not very big myself! I assume that if he is hungry, he will eat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts