Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do know what a Kong is. I've seen many different variations of them. I know to put treats inside(and/or cheese, peanut butter and such). But I'm curious about freezing the Kong. How long does it take to freeze? You freeze it with it stuffed with yummies right? Is it something that soothes the teething process and gums? Just trying to learn something new today in the world of Kong. Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i normally freeze it because it takes them longer to dissolve the goodies out.

depends on the substance. peanut butter take forever to freeze. yogurt doesn't take too long.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I put my kongs in the freezer in the morning before I leave for work and they're nice and frozen by the time I give them to the dogs around 8:30 p.m...after their walk. One of their favorities is mashed sweet potato with a tablespoon or so of cheeze whiz or cheese mixed in and they also like pumpkin.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I'd recommend a L or XL Black Extreme Kong. Casey is quite the chewer and this has held up to his strong jaws. So has another large one made by Nylabone.

Casey is rather adept at getting the goodies out at record speed if it isn't frozen. However, Bea, my parent's other golden will take hours with a non-frozen one.

Vanilla yogurt is pretty popular with them, but peanut butter is a favorite. We cut up any veggies or fruits (no grapes!!) in the fridge for variety. I also wet the dry dog food and pack it in with the PB and fruits. It then freezes pretty well.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I got some recipes from the internet, haven't used them yet:

Foods You Can Stuff Inside Kongs
In addition to your pet's regular dry dog food and dog biscuits, as well as canned versions of dog food, following are some human foods that you might consider stuffing inside your dog's Kong toy. (Each of these food items appears in one or more of the Kong Recipes which follow.)
Apples
Applesauce
Apricots
Baby Food (bananas, carrots)
Bananas
Beef (cooked)
Beef Jerky
Black Olives
Bouillon
Bran Cereal
Bread
Broccoli (raw)
Carrots
Cashews
Cauliflower (raw)
Celery
Cheerios
Cheese (American, Cheddar)
Cheese Whiz
Chicken Broth
Cream Cheese
Croutons (plain)
Dried Fruit (bananas, apricots, apples)
Eggs (cooked)
Honey
Liver (Freeze dried)
Macaroni & Cheese (leftovers)
Nectarines
Nut Butter
Oatmeal
Orange Slices
Pasta Noodles (cooked)
Peaches
Peanut Butter
Potatoes (instant mashed, no skins)
Pumpkin (canned)
Ravioli
Rice
Rice Cakes
Steak (scraps)
Tomatoes (no greens or stems)
Tortellini
Tuna
Turkey (leftovers)
Velveeta
Wheat Germ
Yogurt (plain, lowfat, unsweetened, unflavored)
Kong Fillings: My Personal Favorites
· Smear some peanut butter on a slice of bread. Fold up the bread and cram it into the Kong. Freeze & serve.
· Use your finger to line the inside of the Kong with something sticky (like peanut butter or honey) then toss medium-sized dog treats inside -- the kind that barely fit inside the hole and are hard to get out.
· http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/salivating-for-kong-toys.jpghttp://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/salivating-for-kong-toys.jpgTry microwaving the peanut butter or cheese first -- this makes it runny and easy to pour into the KONG and leaves very little to waste. Then layer with another food item. Then freeze. The microwaved peanut butter & cheese fills every crack and crevice inside the Kong acting as a glue around the other ingredients making it much more challenging for your dog.
· For the simplest Kong treat of all, just smear a little peanut butter or honey around the inside of the Kong. You'd be surprised how long your dog will work at this simple little treat.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I have to freeze Ranger's kongs or else he's cleaned them out in 15 minutes or less. It took him awhile but now he has definitely mastered it. I have an XL red one and here's my guaranteed, 45 - 60 mins of kong happy dog recipe:
a little bit of kibble in the bottom, soft, stinky cookie(s) wedged on top, 1 tsp plain/vanilla yogurt, 2 big peanut butter dog cookies that are great for wedging in cause they're hard to get out, then I plug up the little hole with peanut butter, gently add water to the kong through the big hole, plug up the big hole with more peanut butter (close to 1 tbsp) and stick a milk bone half in/half out. Rest little-hole-down on a paper towel in the freezer for at least a day.

I have 2 kongs so there's always one freezing. I've got one in there that's been freezing for 3 days and the peanut butter is hard as a rock. I also put some mushed banana in the second one to freeze today...i bet it will be like a pb and banana sandwhich! Seriously though, I find the harder you wedge the cookies and goodies in, the harder it is for the dog to get out. Sometimes my fingers hurt after trying to wedge in the peanut butter cookies.

*My brother used to put 2 cookies in his dog's kong and his dog would try to get them for 5 minutes then get bored and leave. Brother thought the kong was a waste of money so I stuffed his pup's kong the way I stuff Ranger's and the pup tried to get everything out for more than 90 minutes! You start thinking of more ideas what to put in it the longer you have it (and the more desperate you are to get some peace!)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I shake out any loose filling, rinse then put through the dish washer.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I was at the pet store and they were selling something like a toothbrush to scrub out the kongs. I just use a regular toothbrush that's been designated to kong cleaning, since I don't have a dishwasher.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts