Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the weirdest person I know. :doh:

I love the cold and snow. This happens everytime I've been outside.

Today the temp is under 20. I spent 2 hours in the barn cleaning and putzing around. I wasn't cold. My fingers a little but not the rest of me. But I never felt like it was too cold.

So, I come in and an hour or two LATER I'm freezing and shivering. This will go on for several hours unless I take a hot, steamy shower or run on the treadmill. And even the hot shower doesn't always work.

So do you have any ideas why I'm toasty warm outside but cold after I've been inside for a couple of hours? It's very annoying. :(

·
Registered
233 Posts
One idea is that when you are outside you are doing some kind of work/activity that might make your body generate heat. Plus, if you are focused on a task I think that can help take your mind off of the fact that you might be cold...maybe you just don't really notice how cold it is? Heck...I went on an 12+ hour programming spree during college once for an assignment that I was having trouble with (was like noon to 2 or 3am) and I was so focused that I never felt hungry when normally I would be starving around 5. I think I finally ate dinner around 9 when I decided it was time to take a break. Concentration can do wonders:).

I'm assuming you are wearing the same clothes outside as you are inside otherwise I'd just say that your outside clothes keep you warm and maybe your inside clothes coupled with not actively working on something makes you feel cold inside.

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Exercise and work generate body heat. :D

I do envy you though... I'm heading out to the barn tonight and actually dreading it because what will usually happen is I'll be fumbling around with the buckles on my saddle. Cringing while I hold the bit in my bare hands for ten minutes or so trying to warm it up (if I'm there during a lesson day, I just hold the bit in front of the arena heaters for a couple minutes). I ride and usually build up enough bodyheat to strip down to a sweater instead of my winter coat (my hat always stays on). And then when I'm handwalking my horse, the coat goes back on and I'm COLDER than ever. And nose dribbling because of the cold. :yuck:

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Yup, you are active while in the barn. I am the same way, I can take the dogs for an hour's hike in the coldest of weather and be just fine. If I sit down on the couch in my 70 degree house, and hour later I am totally freezing.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Yep definitely active outside. It's just funny to me that I never get this way in the house unless I've been outside first. It seems funny for it to be so delayed. Oh well, like I said...I'm weird! lol

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
My feet are my problem. I can dress for the cold with layers, but when my feet get cold it travels up and I am soon freezing. I have muck boots, wool socks, but toes are soon like ice cubes. If I could figure this out, would probably stay outside longer!

How do you keep your feet warm in your so very cold temps??

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Do you change your clothes as soon as you get in? That's important, especially if you've been sweating in them. Don't let yourself cool down and let the sweat make you chilly. Get them off and get in the shower while you are still warm. For me, the key is not allowing myself to get cold when I come in.

It's funny - I was thinking about this just this week, because both I and a colleague of mine went running outdoors (seperately) on a very cold morning this week. When I got into work, he was saying, he was still chilled (despite a shower, change of clothes, and hours gone by). I wasn't chilled at all. I wear clothing that wicks the sweat away from me, and I never feel that I'm sweating until I get home and realize that under my hat, my hair is soaked, and that under my wind breaking layer, the layer against my skin is also wet, even though I haven't felt it at all while outside in the cold. It was minus 15 Celcius that morning.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
My feet are my problem. I can dress for the cold with layers, but when my feet get cold it travels up and I am soon freezing. I have muck boots, wool socks, but toes are soon like ice cubes. If I could figure this out, would probably stay outside longer!

How do you keep your feet warm in your so very cold temps??
Key for me is making sure my feet are warm when I head out. If my feet are at all cold, even with thermal socks and good boots, they will not warm up. But if I put warm feet into warm, thermal socks and good boots, they'll stay warm as long as I'm moving around. Make sure your boots are big enough, too, to allow your feet to not be squeezed. If they are squeezed at all, the circualation will be compromised, and your feet will be more likely to get cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts