Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea on what to do to get blood stains out of fur? My young guy has developed a very Irish Setter looking red spot on his chest from retrieving ducks. Regular baths don't get it out. My wife would like for it to be gone by Christmas if possible

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
It's something I never had to do, but I would assume the steps would kind of be like clothes??

Cold water, scrub scrub, if its really stain maybe try damping a cloth in peroxide and scrubbing?

I'm sure someone else has a way better answer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tell her "sorry honey, there is no quick fix".
Even if I knew how to clean it up I would never tell. Take lots of pictures, those stains will fade, good hunts stay with both of you for years. Badge of courage.
Jim

·
the party's crashing us
4,285 Posts
I don't think blood can stain fur :)
My guess if you're not joking is that it's a saliva stain from drooling or obsessive licking.

Reactions: HiTideGoldens

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I have the same thought as k9design.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have the same thought as k9design.
Me, too. FWIW I feed raw and butcher my own chickens. My dogs "help" with the chicken butchering and are often covered in blood. I don't rinse them and they've never gotten stained from it (it dries and flakes off).

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
When Win had his encounter with the muskrat last year he was covered in blood and ended up with some stains on his feet. I think I used the All-Systems whitening shampoo to fade them out.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Take it from and old nurse, that's how we got it out of our scrubs. It is very effective in breaking the bonds between the blood cells, which dislodges them from fabric and hair.

Rinse with cold water.

EvanG

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. I tried a little shampoo and seltzer water. That helped but I then added the hydrogen peroxide (had to sneak the bottle out so he didn't think I was getting ready to induce vomiting) and that pretty much took care of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts