Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 year old female spayed golden.
I am going to get another pup and am considering wether to get a male or female. Just wondering if anybody here that has 2 goldens could make suggestions.

thanks

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We have two boys (just added our second golden this month). I personally prefer males. They are much goofier and more affectionate. Females can be affectionate as well, but they tend to be a bit more independent and want your affection on their terms. Males are more like velcro dogs. Our boys always have to be as close as they can possibly get to us at all times and follow us from room to room. They even sit right outside the bathroom door waiting for us to come out. :doh: Tucker always sleeps right in between us in our bed. I don't know how we'll have any room when Tyson is old enough to be out of his crate at night. I will always have boys.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
our female lab has never like other girls, heard the same about certain other females (I think it's the individual). Get a male!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
We have 3 Goldens....all males. I've only had 1 female dog in my life and that was when I was younger and don't remember much about her. Since then, all of my dogs have been males. I've heard that two females can be more difficult than two males or one of each. Having said that, I know there are members on this forum that have 2 females and don't have any issues.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Since you have a female already, I'd get a male. I like female dogs (of course I've only had females), my current female golden is a huge lovey-dovey goofball and I wouldn't trade her in for anything, but I think my next dog will be a boy just to even things out. ;)

Good luck with your decision!

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
I love my two boys!! I have only ever had one female dog and she wasn't friendly towards any other dog...male or female. Get a male :)

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I would suggest a male. Female on female aggression is not pretty. They hold grudges! I have always had females and just added my first male in 2005 and the second in 2007. I will always have males and no more than one female. My female now is the alpha and the boys are happy to let her rule the roost.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
We have a female Australian cattle dog (13 years) so when I got my golden (18 months) I got a male and it has worked out very well for us.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
i'll go for a male since you already have a female. I too prefer my male dogs over females. But i wouldn't trade any of my dogs they match eachother great.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
My parents have always had our male, Casey, and a female. They get along great.

Mike and I will hopefully be getting a male puppy. It's just a personal preference because Casey is a male- and has been a complete joy. I also just like that males tend to be slightly bigger than females.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I would suggest a male. Female on female aggression is not pretty. They hold grudges! I have always had females and just added my first male in 2005 and the second in 2007. I will always have males and no more than one female. My female now is the alpha and the boys are happy to let her rule the roost.
Ditto.. I have 2 females and 2 males.. the females like to be in charge and only one can be..the fights can be NASTY!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would go with a male since you already have a female.

I love the female dogs and my prev. trio was one male and two female. The two females were gotten as puppies at the same time (non littermates) and they always got along.
Now I have one female and two males. My female now is the boss. I knew when I wanted to add a third dog when I had just her and her brother that I had to get a male.

It really depends on the personality of your female but it may just be easier in the long run to get a male and not have to worry about it.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I have read that opposite sexes do better living together. Therefore, Max. However, my next dog will be another boy but I do think Max being a boy helped her remain on top. He doesn't push her alpha status and is happy to be where he is on the totem pole.

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
I have two girls, and they get along great.. Ive only ever had female anything, dogs cats. etc.. same with my fiance.. but now that I look back, I wish I had have tried a Boy for our second dog. Just to try it out. Ive heard so many good things about boys.. So my next one will be a boy..

Id say get a boy just to try it out.. but whatever you get, you will fall in love with no matter what!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts