Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
and now Chance too!
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We want to get another golden for Angie to play with for several other reasons and are weighing two options. They are;

1. Wait until she is a certain age and get an older rescue (older than her)
2. Wait until a certain age and get another puppy
3. Get one the same age approximately (we're not leaning towards this one for several reasons)

What's the various opinions here on either option and how old should she be for each? She 5 months now.

Thanks

·
Rufus' Mom aka Linda
1,357 Posts
We have started having the same conversation around here. Our breeder and our trainer both told us it was best to wait until Rufus was 2 years old to get another puppy or adult. The reasoning was we could spend lots of time with Rufus training him etc. I'll be interested to see what advice you get from others.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would wait till she is at least one year old. So the hard training is out of the way. Get a pup that is older or younger just make sure they meet ahead of time to make sure they get along. That is the biggest thing. I dont think it really matters older or younger.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Buzz was 11 months when he and I went to pick up Clover. He always got sick on car rides and did on the way down. But the 4 1/2 hr trip home, he was fine. When Clover cried in her crate he would go to the end of his near her and lay there trying to comfort her. His car sickness has improved greatly! He's the big brother!:p:

Here's my kids sleeping when Clover was 2 months.

Attachments

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would take the next year or more and do classes with Angie, get her well trained, mature and under control. You'll also learn lots about training and so on for the next dog. Then, look for either an older rescue that's 4-5 years old, or a younger pup. That way you don't have two dogs the same age. Not that it would happen but it's harder to deal with loosing two dogs, and if they're the same age....

Plus, a lot of breeders won't sell a pup to a home with a young dog - if they do it's questionable (to me anyway) what their ethics are. In the first 2 years dogs go through a lot of changes, they'll challenge you, act up and so on before settling down. And it's good to have control and a good solid training base on each dog, and making sure to not allow them to bond to each other.

Lana

·
and now Chance too!
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that it would happen but it's harder to deal with loosing two dogs, and if they're the same age....
That is one of our fears with getting another the same age. Losing Katie practically killed us and to lose two at the same time... Couldn't even begin to contemplate it.

We'd like there to be an age difference for training and behavior reasons. My guess is that about the time she's a year or so we'll pull the trigger on getting another one based on a) Angie's behavior and personality and b) what ends up walking into our lives (much like the way we got Angie).

Thanks all for the responses and if anyone else has anything to add please feel free to do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts