Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Quick question.

I am getting a male puppy from a breeder in December. Just 5.5 weeks to go! When we visited the breeder (a requirement before being put on the reservation list) we stated when we would prefer to get a puppy in December and the sex doesn't matter. We didn't care about sex, so she said our best bet would be a male since the past litters have had a lot of males so she is almost through her male list. But she cannot guarantee us a puppy from the next litter before they are born because it depends on how many males are in that litter.

A couple of days after they were born, we got an email saying that the litter has been born and there's a male puppy available for us! There were five males in that litter. This is great news. However, my anxiety then kicks into overdrive (I have bad anxiety, so of course I find something to worry about).

She sent me a form that explains their weekly schedule until the puppies are 8 weeks old and their process. They choose the puppy for you (which I know is very common amongst breeders). They do a temperament test at 7 weeks old to match the pup to the family. They say they try their best to give families their first or second choice of sex and color. But if that doesn't work out, they can wait for the next litter that fits with their choice of sex and color. Now, all of the dogs are the same shade in my litter (which we don't care about anyways) and we do not care about sex (although she said we would get a male... good with us!). So we don't really have a "choice". We will be good with whatever puppy from that litter.

I did ask her about this process when she originally said she had a male puppy for us. I asked her if, based on the temperament testing, we may not get a puppy from that litter. She said "Since there are 5 males, I am sure there will be a puppy in that litter with a matching temperament for you!".

She sends out a bunch of information before doing the temperament testing. She sends out a request for CKC registration information as well as a puppy package at 6 weeks.

Maybe I am looking way too much into it. But if you don't have a preference at all, is it common for breeders to "cancel" on you a few days before you're set to take the puppy home because none of them have a good temperament for you?

Just a note: This breeder does NOT breed for show, so there won't be any show homes the dogs are going to. The vast majority of puppies will be going to companion homes, with some going to service homes.

·
Kristy
10,430 Posts
No, it would not be common for a breeder to just cancel. Sadly, there are times when all the puppies do not make it and occasionally there is illness or an accident and this is why breeders are super careful with them. Once the puppies are safely born and have made it through the first couple of weeks of life, the risk of a puppy dying goes way down and you can start feeling more and more confident as each day passes. At this point I'd say you are safe to start buying puppy toys and training books, baby gates and looking into a place to sign up for obedience classes etc. Use this time to do as much reading as you can so you're all set to bring your little boy home. You will be too busy after that to do as much learning and it helps to pass the time now :) Hope you'll share photos when he comes home!

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
I'm sure she'll ask you to further describe your life. The more honest response will get you a better fit. She has no desire for pup not to work out and it sounds like you have made her life super easy by not getting set on a particular gender or puppy. Things DO happen, though- sometimes puppies die. Sometimes other things happen that make go-home not likely. I lost a 4 week old this last litter. It was devastating. Other things that might cause a pup not to go home with you- don't lie. Don't neglect to mention the multiple sets of twins who are out of control (that just shows a breeder puppy will also be out of control ). Don't make it hard for her to like you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it would not be common for a breeder to just cancel. Sadly, there are times when all the puppies do not make it and occasionally there is illness or an accident and this is why breeders are super careful with them. Once the puppies are safely born and have made it through the first couple of weeks of life, the risk of a puppy dying goes way down and you can start feeling more and more confident as each day passes. At this point I'd say you are safe to start buying puppy toys and training books, baby gates and looking into a place to sign up for obedience classes etc. Use this time to do as much reading as you can so you're all set to bring your little boy home. You will be too busy after that to do as much learning and it helps to pass the time now :) Hope you'll share photos when he comes home!
Thanks for the comment! The puppies are now 17 days old :) My partner and I have just begun buying things. We have someone who will give us their crate with a divider, we just bought a playpen, a kong toy, a snuggle puppy (hopefully will help with crate training!), food/water bowls, and a collar. We are a bit too enthusiastic haha. We have also been watching hours of YouTube videos (big fans of Zak George) over the past month or so. And are just beginning to read some books on training. We even recently bought a nice chest to put his toys in. I have a countdown on my phone until he comes home! We can't wait, so hence my anxiety. But it is good to know it's not common for a breeder to just cancel :)

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Just thought of another one- don't ask on pickup day 'What breed is this puppy?'.... ya'll laugh. It happened. True lack of reading comprehension. Plus a little 'what the heck is a non-English cream called'....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure she'll ask you to further describe your life. The more honest response will get you a better fit. She has no desire for pup not to work out and it sounds like you have made her life super easy by not getting set on a particular gender or puppy. Things DO happen, though- sometimes puppies die. Sometimes other things happen that make go-home not likely. I lost a 4 week old this last litter. It was devastating. Other things that might cause a pup not to go home with you- don't lie. Don't neglect to mention the multiple sets of twins who are out of control (that just shows a breeder puppy will also be out of control ). Don't make it hard for her to like you.
Yes, I forgot to mention that she does send out questionnaires to get a better sense of your lifestyle. Fortunately, we have a very chill lifestyle and I have experience raising 2 other labs from 8 weeks old (they do not live with us). Our lifestyle is not hectic at all, so we have A LOT of time to devote to a puppy. We do live in an apartment; however, I already talked about this with the breeder and she has absolutely no issue with it and says labs can do very well in an apartment assuming they get appropriate exercise (at which point I mentioned that we live in a residential area with a lot of parks and dog parks down the street).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we are getting a lab but I came across this forum, so thought I would post here.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Had it happen once. I suspect a friend had asked her if the puppy was an EC. Which made her not know what a non-EC is called.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Your post reminds me of what happened to us with our very first golden. I had my heart set on a female and I was given much the same spiel as you. The breeder chose your puppy based on temperament assessment and the sex you requested. We were thrilled to find out there was only one girl born with multiple males but were quickly saddened when she notified us a week later to let us know that she did not make it. We were heartbroken but she said she felt she already had a male that would fit our family. She let us know we were welcome to wait for the next litter but she would continue to assess this male and we could have him if she felt he was what we were looking for. She was so right! Riley was my best golden ever! He was a therapy dog, so easy going. Best dog ever!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Thanks for the comment! The puppies are now 17 days old :) My partner and I have just begun buying things. We have someone who will give us their crate with a divider, we just bought a playpen, a kong toy, a snuggle puppy (hopefully will help with crate training!), food/water bowls, and a collar. We are a bit too enthusiastic haha. We have also been watching hours of YouTube videos (big fans of Zak George) over the past month or so. And are just beginning to read some books on training. We even recently bought a nice chest to put his toys in. I have a countdown on my phone until he comes home! We can't wait, so hence my anxiety. But it is good to know it's not common for a breeder to just cancel :)
Congrats!!! So exciting! And, yes somewhat anxiety provoking. We also have a pup coming home in a few weeks, and just like you we have quite the collection of everything she'll need (we're getting a little girl) and probably a lot of stuff she won't, lol. - I too worry, that something will go wrong and we won't be bringing her home. But, I also think that a lot of my worry is due to the fact that 2020 has been a year of so much uncertainty. - Best of luck to you and your little guy!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
My first golden puppy was supposed to be a female...and he was a male. ;) Only 2 pups were born - one male and one female. By the time they were born, I REALLY had my heart set on a pup from this litter! The breeder contacted me and said she was keeping the female for breeding, so did I want the male? I said YES. So glad that I did! I now LOVE the boys! Had I not been flexible, I would have missed 14.5 years with a wonderful dog. I selecting the litter is even more important than the gender. The second time I was waiting for a golden puppy from the litter, I WANTED a male, as they'd won me over.

Hopefully, you've selected a breeder who you like and trust. If so, I'd advise letting him or her pick the pup for you. I have not been disappointed by letting the breeder do this, as they watch those pups for weeks before you come to pick up the pup. The second time, the breeder knew that I wanted a serious obedience prospect, that I might play in conformation with. I think she steered me towards the right pup. She explained to me why the pup I have was the best choice after watching them. Assuming you are dealing with a reputable breeder, they really do want the home the place in the pup in to be a great fit. Best of luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your post reminds me of what happened to us with our very first golden. I had my heart set on a female and I was given much the same spiel as you. The breeder chose your puppy based on temperament assessment and the sex you requested. We were thrilled to find out there was only one girl born with multiple males but were quickly saddened when she notified us a week later to let us know that she did not make it. We were heartbroken but she said she felt she already had a male that would fit our family. She let us know we were welcome to wait for the next litter but she would continue to assess this male and we could have him if she felt he was what we were looking for. She was so right! Riley was my best golden ever! He was a therapy dog, so easy going. Best dog ever!
I LOVE the name Riley!! That was actually a top 3 name for us! But my partner liked another name a bit better and I caved in haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts