Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are mourning the loss of your much loved golden and don't know if or when you'll be ready for a new family member, I have been there. Several times actually. But losing Selka a year ago in Sept. was excruciating to me. He was my soul dog, always by my side and near perfect. I knew I would some day want another golden (we already had Gunner) but figured we'd wait till spring.

Out of the blue came Bogey's Mom whose dog's sire's owner was looking for a loving golden home when they ended up with more pups than homes. She recommended us! We were in contact with the breeder and the sire's owner. My husband was gung ho but I was hesitant. I was so grief stricken over Selka , I didn't know if I was up to a puppy.

Well we did it.. two weeks after Selka went to the Bridge we drove eight hours to pick out our pup from three males.

There were some crazy times, worrying if Gunner would like him (he does) worrying if I would (I DO!!) and what kind of dog he would be since I am disabled.

Sasha has become my little love bug. We cuddle together in the recliner, we work on obedience (He's going for his CD this year!) and we do retrieves like crazy. He is both a mommy and daddy's boy and we couldn't be happier.
I believe Selka with some help sent him to us. We are so very grateful for our darling Sasha!!!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I AGREE WITH HER, after spencer died, it hurt so much, he was my heart boy, just by chance, the breeder of spencer,was going to have a litter, spirit is spencers ,grand nephew, while not like spencer, he was truley the very best, there are some things in spirit, that remind me of spencer, i think spencer,sent me spirit, i beleive this with all my heart.

·
Kate
21,676 Posts
This is awesome - he's such a beautiful boy<:

Good luck with the training and hopefully trialing this year - from what I remember reading of your earlier threads with his training, he's a smart cookie<:

*** To add, after we lost one of our old men we adopted an adult dog less than a month later, this while we bought a puppy and went into waiting mode for him. It helped us heal and yes, we would do it again.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
When we lost Savanah, I was totally devastated. Very, very depressed. It took everything in me to even go to work, take care of my daughter and our house. Chance was sad, also. Wouldn't play, would only eat if I sat with him. Not an easy time...

When we got Lucy, I definitely wasn't ready, but Chance was. He took to her immediatly but I didn't. It took months for me to really bond with her. I think if I was ready, I would have bonded sooner. I can't imagine my family complete without her now, but at that time I wasn't sure if I would ever feel that way towards her. First time that ever happened to me.

I don't know if I would do it that way again, (too soon for me), but Chance really needed another dog in the home and I gave in to him. I couldn't bare to see him hurting. :(

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We've been there three times and each of them has been a tribute to the one at the bridge. When Brewer passed about a year and a half ago we took about a month to adjust and then we contacted a local breeder. As luck would have it she had a litter that was just born and all but one had been spoken for.

We couldn't be happier with Nugget. Each GR that we have raised, loved, and lost has been different but always loving and becoming that missing piece to complete our home.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Ditto on what everyone else said about their loss. I couldn't stand the quiet house. Even though my Cody never even barked lol! It just seemed so empty without him:( I waited a whole month......then came Wyatt! Although I still miss Cody boy and always will! ( I call Wyatt "Cody" all the time lol!) Wyatt keeps us so busy that it makes it just a little bit easier. I am in love all over again:)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I too love hearing these stories! I have always felt the right dog ( or cat!) finds you when the time is right. Even though I miss our kitty Tess, I look forward to when that next cat or dog comes into our lives.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've been there too. I was so grief stricken when I was shocked with the news that my heart dog Eli who was just shy of 8 years old had cancer. We didn't know where, just that it had already spread to his lungs and there was no hope for him and he probably only had about 2 weeks to live.
He was the reason I left full time work and went part time because I couldn't bear to leave him home alone all day. As I babied and loved him during those few weeks I remember telling my husband "never again" I could not go through that again, my heart was crushed. I would sit in the yard on a blanket with him and he'd walk around and literally come sit on my lap and I would just break down and cry my heart out thinking "he doesn't even know".
A week after he left us I started looking. I felt guilty as though I was forgetting him and looking to replace him, but I couldn't help it, it was so lonesome without him and my other 7 year old golden was pining with grief.

As it turned out I put a deposit on a new male pup and just before he was due to come home I came across a little female that was my Eli's niece and I couldn't resist getting her in hopes there would be some similarity. There actually is in many ways. So I ended up with a very happy 7 year old that got to play momma, a 12 week old and now it was time to bring home the 8 week old!!
Hasn't been a quiet day in my house since. One year later we added Ty and lost 8 year old Sammi.

It is so so heartbreaking to lose them but I tried to look at it as they have x amount of time on this earth as we do and I gave them the best life anyone could, they were never hungry, lonely, or mistreated. They had short but great lives and were spoiled rotten.

I think after this round I may just consider adopting seniors to live out their lives with love and happiness. I just can't fathom how someone could throw away an older dog, or any for that matter.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Deb... you have me completely dissolved in tears. I remember that time like it was yesterday. I was so concerned about you all and yet I had this feeling that Sasha was a most special, special gift. Hugs to you my friend and lots of love to all you guys!

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
I always love hearing stories like these. I'm so glad you brought Sasha into your lives. He is just so sweet looking and I can imagine that he brings lots of joy into your life. :)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. I feel very blessed. Like right now as I am throwing the ball over and over and over!!

In the pics, Sash doesn't look very thrilled. He always looks like that when the camera comes out. He is leery of it!

Selka saved me after Max died. I was so depressed. And now Sasha has saved me after losing my beloved Selka. And I just try to live in the moment and treasure every one.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Thanks everyone. I feel very blessed. Like right now as I am throwing the ball over and over and over!!

In the pics, Sash doesn't look very thrilled. He always looks like that when the camera comes out. He is leery of it!

Selka saved me after Max died. I was so depressed. And now Sasha has saved me after losing my beloved Selka. And I just try to live in the moment and treasure every one.
I know just how you feel! (((HUGS)))

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Sasha and Gunner are such special boys!

We got Toby 3 weeks after losing our Beau- in hindsight it was much too soon for us, but we cannot imagine our life without him now. He's turned from a living, breathing, destructive and challenging tornado into a love bug.

We intentionally waited after losing Barkley--our hearts needed time to heal and then life took over with some major challenges to our emotions, finances and time. It was right to wait this time around. We are still in the waiting mode, but hope it changes sometime in 2012 or early 2013. The future puppy is definitely in our minds though!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Sasha is beautiful and so proud of your family for getting him. When we lost our last golden boy over 14+ yrs ago, just couldn't think of a golden again. Too much pain. We applied for foster status and have had many over the years but no goldens were among them. Our last rescue (birddog mix) passed away in fall of 2010 and we have been lost without a big dog in our family. After many talks and tears we decided we needed Gold in our family once again. Though puppyhood has lots of failures, we see more good every day and our hearts have healed with the love they give.

I am so proud you got this boy and know Gunner likes having a brother to love. Your post brought such a huge smile to my face! Can't wait to hear more stories of him.

Deb may you and your Husband have the most Wonderful of New Years and hope that 2012 opens many fantastic paths to follow. Just so darn happy for you!!!

Hugs coming your way.
Deb

Reactions: Debles and Karen519

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I can relate to this so much.
I was absolutely devastated when I lost Cassie. I mourned that dog more than I've mourned humans....I'm almost ashamed to admit....and I went months breaking down at random moments. But only four months after losing Cassie we brought Max home, and he is incredible. I adore that dog.
Max helped me heal from the horrible loss of losing my Cassie girl, and then just a year later helped me recover from losing my Dru.
I will have a new golden in 2013. Billy will be close to 11 and I must have someone home for Max when Billy leaves me. So, a new golden girl will help us all when Billy goes.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
hugs to you Deb. Im so glad you brought Sasha in your life! xxoo

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Debles

Debles

I just love what you wrote and i remember like it was yesterday when you lost Selka. I also remember thinking that Selka sent you Sasha to help you.
Ken and I can totally relate to your story. When we lost our Gizmo we got Snobear, when we lost Munchkin we adopted Smooch, when we lost Smooch, we adopted our Golden Boy, Tucker, the next day and when we lost Snobear, we got our Samoyed Pup, Tonka. I am convinced that all of our dogs at the Rainbow Bridge have their paws and hearts in helping us!!

Reactions: mayapaya and Debles
1 - 20 of 33 Posts