Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm a college kid and I'm planning to adopt a new puppy this January. My friends' purebred golden retriever (female) got accidentally impregnated by a black elkhound. Much drama:(. She had four puppies (3 golden, 1 black) but killed one (we don't know why, I guess that's normal?) so it's down to three. They're all pudgy and adorable but I was just wondering if anyone had ever owned this particular mix (golden/elkhound) whether they could tell me anything about them? If my little guy is golden now, is it very likely he'll stay that way? Are they nice/mean/big shedders/overly-rambunctious/sickly etc.? Any info that anyone has would be really appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
I don't know anything about elk hounds, but I bet it will be a shedder, no matter what! :)

Welcome to the GRF. We'd love to see pictures of your doggie.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
There's no such thing as a black elkhound, so I am guessing the sire was probably a mixed breed? The actual breed is the Norwegian Elkhound, and they are always a wolfy silvery gray color. They're a medium sized, intelligent, free spirited Northern type breed. They do shed. Your puppy will shed no matter which coat type he inherited. Send some pics! :) If your puppy is blonde he will stay blonde most likely. Purebred Norwegian Elkhounds are born dark (black tips on the silver hair) and lighten as they mature. If your pup did not inherit the sable (black tipping) gene than he is not sable, so should stay Golden. Of course all this is hard to guess without knowing what the sire really is. If the sire is black, then he is not an Elkhound. The only exception would be if you actually live in Norway, where there are a number of native rare dogs, including a black and more working style variety of Elkhound.

This is an elkhound

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My grandfather had two Norwegian Elk hounds when I was a small kid. The were very even tempered dogs and always were by his side. They had a VERT thick wooly undercoat and long stiff guard hairs. I think the mix with a golden would be fine. Good luck with your puppy.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Hello and Welcome,
It sounds like it is a cute puppy. I cant wait to see pictures of him/her. They both are good breeds so they should be alot of fun.
Good luck and we like pictures here, so get busy. LOL

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hi,
I don't know whether the following is true but I think your question of the mother killing one of the pups deserves mention. Someone once told me that the mother will end the life of a pup that is defective, so perhaps this is what happened. Again, this is just what I heard, but it does make sense to me.
Good luck with yours! Do you have adequate funds, as well as the time required?
Regards,
Helaine

·
3 goldens
11,786 Posts
I hve also read and heard that a mother will kill a pup that has problems..not always, but ,many times. They hve to focus on the ones they know can survive. I would love to see pictures of this puppy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all. I'm a college kid and I'm planning to adopt a new puppy this January. My friends' purebred golden retriever (female) got accidentally impregnated by a black elkhound. Much drama:(. She had four puppies (3 golden, 1 black) but killed one (we don't know why, I guess that's normal?) so it's down to three. They're all pudgy and adorable but I was just wondering if anyone had ever owned this particular mix (golden/elkhound) whether they could tell me anything about them? If my little guy is golden now, is it very likely he'll stay that way? Are they nice/mean/big shedders/overly-rambunctious/sickly etc.? Any info that anyone has would be really appreciated! Thanks!
I used to have an elkhound/golden retriever mix. This is an excellent watch/hunting dog. They have a very strong nose and you can hear them bark for miles if they tree a racoon or something. Mine would take opossums and racoons straight to the creek and drown them. She would walk around me in circles in the woods to protect me. If anything got in that circle especially a snake, it died. She killed Rats, Moles,Snakes and whatever you wanted her to hunt. She even chased a deer once lol. Oh yes She was a very good watchdog and very protective. A kid came up behind my little brother and grabbed him just playing and my dog ripped the kids pocket off because she hadn't seen the kid before. Yes he will also stay golden colored. Should also have a copper nose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joining this a little late but am hoping to help people looking for information on this particular mix breed since I couldn’t find anything!! We have a 10 month old female golden x Norwegian elkhound mix. Happy farm accident. Mom was elkhound and dad was golden retriever, red. Our girl is completely white with golden tipped ears and tail with slight golden tinge down the spine. She weighs about 55 pounds (mom was small) and hasn’t grown for months now. Half of her litter was darker (black/brown/silver) and half were white. She has a copper nose as someone mentioned. She has a powerful bark and is protective. However loves everyone and all dogs. She plays so well but she is an excited dog. Main thing we are working on. She doesn’t shed as much as we soft and has a very soft coat. She has the face of a golden but her ears are almost halfway floppy like a golden but you can tell they want to stand up a bit. And a curly tail like the elkhound! Everything about her was a surprise but it’s nice to know things before hand.

·
Puddles
3,824 Posts
Yes, it's a very old thread but will offer what I can. First I would have them both fixed! to prevent any more unexpected puppies. As far as a mix, knowing each breed might be insightful but honestly with a mix, you get what you get. There is absolutely no way to predict which traits the pups may have. Sort of like yourself... you have some input from mom and dad but you are an individual, same for a puppy. Just gotta love what you get and move on :) Enjoy your puppy and enjoy the surprises you might get.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts