Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it did not take me long to get back on the golden retriever wagon. After losing Esther the house was so empty and sad. I brought Gertie home on Nov. 15th and she is adjusting wonderfully. She is fetching her dummy, sitting, laying down, shaking, coming when called, kenneling and goes to the door and sits when she needs to go potty outside. We love her so much however we still miss Esther sooooooo much! I am trying to make a conscious effort not to compare Gertie to Esther but I find myself doing it often. Gertie looks alot different than Esther as a pup. Esther was really furry and fluffy while Gertie already has her long adult coarse hair coming in and feathers on her legs. I assume this is due to her being born in the fall instead of winter as Esther. She is really a sweetheart and a sponge for learning. Below is a photo of Esther and Gertie @ about the same age.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Welcome to Gertie! How adorable. We didn't wait as long as I expected either. My husband has a REALLY hard time not comparing Ozzy with our last Golden. He has conveniently forgotten all the craziness when our first Golden was young and mostly remembers the sweet old lady she became.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Good luck to you! It's hard not to compare. My sister lost her dog (a lab mix) about a year ago and is finally thinking about getting another. But she admitted she wants another just like Charlie. She realizes she can't have him back, but it's hard not to want the perfect dog you used to have. Welcome Gertie. She looks like a charmer!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Congratulations, Gertie is a doll (love her name). It is very hard not to compare at first, but as time goes along, new memories are made to fill out and complete the old ones. At first everything ours did, I compared to our old RB boy, but Kye was a female and different as night to day, then we got little Cooper and though a male, we were already learning not to compare and Coop is so different than Kye and old Fred. He is his own little guy.

Love your new girl and hope we get to see many more pictures of her and hear her stories. Welcome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts