Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cara is three and since we are still having a tough time with pulling have decided to try the Gentle Leader again. The first time we attempted it she was a pup and I don't think it was correctly fastened. At any rate, she hated it and managed to free herself quickly. When I attempted it the other day Cara didn't show much resistance at all, especially since I had a hand full of treats at the ready.

I would like to take her out with it today but still have one misgiving. I remain concerned that she could slip out of it if she were so inclined; she tends to be fearful of strange dogs. Is it possible, safe, advisable, to connect the Gentle Leader onto her collar clasp as well, so she couldn't run, even if she did get out of the Leader? Is this even possible? Would it still work?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Is it a gentle leader or a Halti I only ask as the Halti has an extra piece that can attach to the collar.
I use a gentle leader and would not be without it, we were unable to walk Honey until she was 13 months and she was like a train on a flat collar (fine around the garden)but out was and still is a nightmare (ask Tanyac lol) Honey not keen on the gentle leader at first and tried everything to get out of it but if fitted correctly that should not happen.
As for conecting it to the collar for extra safety I cant see a problem as long as it does not interfere with how the GL works but others may be able to give you a more experienced opinion. Good luck

·
Murphy's mom
1,063 Posts
I use a gentle leader...it does not have anything to attach to another collar. Anyway. Make sure it is fastened tight up behind the ears.(I was instructed that only one finger should fit under it when it is on right) The nose loop can be a little loose. When you are walking her, praise her and treat whenever she is behaving and not bothering with the gentle leader (ie not rubbing her nose trying to get it off.) She will get the hang of it. I also keep the regular buckle collar on during a walk....just for backup or emergency since it does have their ID on it. Never leave the gentle leader on when you are not supervising your dog.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Sherrie. I was having trouble visualizing whether I could hook the Leader onto her regular collar as well. Guess not!

·
Murphy's mom
1,063 Posts
I believe I heard a trainer in one of the classes I attended say halti collars have something to attach to a buckle collar. But the two trainers I have worked with, prefered the gentle leader to the halti. Not exactly sure why....never used the halti though.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Hooking the GL to the collar will interfere with the GL's ability to work properly. However, if you're concerned, get a slip collar (like what they use in conformation, the "show dog" ring) and put that on your dog as well. Then clip your leash to the GL and the long ring of the slip collar.

A choke chain will work in a pinch, since it's not going to be tightening on the dog's neck -- unless of course the dog somehow breaks free of the GL. When a GL is properly fitted, it's extremely difficult for a dog to get out of one. Neck strap is tight (1 finger) and worn high on the back of the skull, at the base of the ears - not low around the neck like a collar. The nose strap should comfortably move to where the nose leather is, but shouldn't be easy to loop off the end of the snout.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I always fasten the gentle leader to another collar purely for my own peace of mind, and have found that it doesn't interfere - however, it does help if you can get Cara used to it being on before "going public".

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
If you don't think this would be too much to deal with: Attach the GL with leash as it is supposed to be attached. Also, have your dog wearing her regular collar to which you attach yet another leash. So, you are holding two leashes in your hand. If she were, somehow, to slip out of the GL (and my Brooks can only get it off if he lies down and rubs it off his nose with his paw), you would still have your dog on a leash. I actually walk Brooks this way sometimes--I start out using the GL because we are in a situation where I absolutely need him to walk right by my side. Then, after that situation is past (or also if we have walked long enough that I have got him clear on the fact that I want him to walk properly), I will unsnap it and let him walk with his regular collar and leash. If he misbehaves, I snap back on the GL and its leash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts