Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I go calling my vet, I just wanted to see what some of you guys with dysplasic dogs had to say...

Iorek is a 7 month old golden retriever/siberian husky (body type much more resembles husky than golden) and has a pretty pronounced "sway walk". His joints have also audibly cracked every so often for the last few months. He's got a super sketchy background and I think the time is here for some x-rays, if only for the peace of mind. Admittedly though, my heart jumps into my throat and I feel pretty sick to my stomach at the idea of him already having hip dysplasia.. which is why I'm asking here before calling my vet because I might burst into tears the second I get on the phone and acknowledge it out loud for the first time.

Generally speaking (and I know none of you can say for sure), what do diagnostic x-rays with sedation tend to run? I want to be able to move the process along as swiftly as possible once I book an appointment so it'd be nice to go ahead and get a chunk of the money budgeted.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
When I was looking last year -- with sedation was running around $300 - without sedation around 200...(this was for Hips and Elbows)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow, really? I was thinking it would run upwards of $800... I may be able to get this done within a week if it's only around $300. Is it normal to want to know and not want to know at the same time?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
heck yes!
One thought...do you have pet insurance? If not...you may want to consider it before getting xrays.. as I dont think any plan will cover preexisting conditions.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I know generally vet care has gone up in the past year...and of course there are regional differences too...but your not looking at an $800.00 bill...

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
We've been though several rounds of x-rays over the last two years. I think the most has been $350.

No matter the outcome, take a deep breath and remember you can always get a second opinion.

Two years ago vet #1 told a friend that her pup needed to have some sort of preventative surgery for hip dysplasia, then vet #2 said they "might" consider the surgery, finally the orthopedic surgeon said she'd likely be fine without it and there was no sense in pursuing surgery right now.

and YES to strongly considering pet insurance! if I ever have the pleasure of another one, we'll have insurance immediately.

:crossfing

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We do have pet insurance...100% reimbursement with a $100 deductible. I'm so nervous about all of this. Some of what he does makes me think that something is wrong (like the sway walk), but then in other ways he doesn't have the "classic" signs at all. His feet point nice and straight, he has never ever done the "frog sit", he doesn't tweak his legs when he lays down, most of the time he runs in beautiful long strides with no bunny hops. He jumps around like a frisbee dog outside. And I've heard mix breeds are less prone than purebreds? That may be a load of BS, but I don't know for sure. I think it would be worth spending the money though... just to know. Although I will probably fall apart if he does have something wrong.

Guh. Sorry for unloading. I don't know why I'm so stressed out about this. It's not even about the money for diagnosis/treatment (although in this economy, any money is a lot of money)... I'll pull that together in a heartbeat for his wellbeing. It's just very emotionally stressful.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
From what you describe I'm not sure he really has a problem. At 7 months old he would have to have severe HD for you to see visible signs like dragging a foot or limping. He has so much growing to do I don't really think xrays at 7 months would help you, even if they showed a problem it's very possible as he grows it could improve. Or if it shows nothing it's still possible it could develop as he gets older.

Honestly, unless he is limping, dragging a foot or showing reall signs of pain or discomfort, or not wanting to be active, I don't think it's necessary to have xrays done at 7 months. I'm not a vet or anyone even very knowledgeable in structure or hip displaysia, so this is just my opinion.

Maybe ask your vet if he thinks it's warranted. (You can't even get final OFA certification until the dogs are 2 years old.)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe ask your vet if he thinks it's warranted. (You can even get final OFA certification until the dogs are 2 years old.)
So is it possible that the super gangly sway walk/waddle is just adolescent puppy awkward growth? It's mostly the sway walk that has me concerned.

Talking to the vet and seeing if it's even necessary is definitely my first step, but I wanted to be ready to have everything move as fast as possible if she does say it'd be wise to get it checked out.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
So is it possible that the super gangly sway walk/waddle is just adolescent puppy awkward growth? It's mostly the sway walk that has me concerned.

Talking to the vet and seeing if it's even necessary is definitely my first step, but I wanted to be ready to have everything move as fast as possible if she does say it'd be wise to get it checked out.
That was supposed to say "can't get OFA until 2 years old."

The sway is most likely just awkward growth stage, again just my opinion but I've seen a lot of gawky, awkward puppies between 6 and 9 months old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts