Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's smarter a male or female?

My limited experience has been the female. She just seemed to pick things up more quickly, my male so far is just a loving goofball.

What's your experience been?

Pete

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I don't see a difference. I think it's all in the drive of the dog. And even then, I am not sure it's a measure of intelligence.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I don't think intelligence is gender related at all. Selka has been my most intelligent golden but that doesn't mean he is more obedient! Gunner my goofy guy is the one who lives to please me. Selka is too smart, he picks and chooses.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
My male is a lot smarter than my female. Or... at least, he picks up on things quicker. (Maxie will be so mad if she sees this. lol)

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you're probably right - in dogs intelligence isn't gender related - but sometimes I wonder...

We all know men are smarter than women - that's a given isn't it?

I'M JUST KIDDING!!!!! (I'm looking for somewhere to hide as the bullets start flying.)

It seems to me there is some sort of intelligence test you can give your dog - I'll have to try and Google it.

Meanwhile I'm very happy with Woody even if he can't do my books.

Pete

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Hmm, I think girls tend to look smarter because of their independent natures and boys less smart because of their general goofiness. A lot of times Max seems dumb as a rock but I know better - there are moments of pure genius. For example, he was all amused and enjoying chasing my laser pointer. It only took a few times of passing by me to finally put the peices together. He sat down. Looked that the pointer in my hand, down to the red light, and back up to me. Every time I bring the light past me he does that now. That blows my mind because my cats never put that together or the bfs black lab. You can also see Max trying to figure me out when I want him to do something new - he'll figure out my body and facial cues to know what I'm trying to get across to him. That's also a first for me for any pet I've ever had.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that Max is one smart kid!!

I think you're safe Jennifer - just keep Maxie away from the computer. ;)

Pete

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Females and either gender in more independent breeds (Salukis, Whippets, Alaskan Malamutes, etc) APPEAR smarter because they do what they want. Male Goldens are big, goofy, and willing.

That said, I have NO doubt Holiday is the smartest of my three Goldens. I think she's about even with the GSD and the Whippet in reasoning ability/brains. Brooklyn is average, clever in ways. Starlite is a complete moron, but I love him! And he's very obedient.

I think the more obedient a dog is has nothing to do with intelligence, but more what motivates him. I also think that dogs who are motivated by less appear dumb to non-dog people, but to the dog savvy, they seem more intelligent because they are discerning.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Hmm, I think girls tend to look smarter because of their independent natures and boys less smart because of their general goofiness. A lot of times Max seems dumb as a rock but I know better - there are moments of pure genius. For example, he was all amused and enjoying chasing my laser pointer. It only took a few times of passing by me to finally put the peices together. He sat down. Looked that the pointer in my hand, down to the red light, and back up to me. Every time I bring the light past me he does that now. That blows my mind because my cats never put that together or the bfs black lab. You can also see Max trying to figure me out when I want him to do something new - he'll figure out my body and facial cues to know what I'm trying to get across to him. That's also a first for me for any pet I've ever had.

LOL, both my girls figured out the laser point comes from the pen pretty quickly. Lucy will try to grab it and use it herself. Lucy's so smart though that she's pretty much my father-in-law's favorite animal. He even lets her sleep with him when we visit.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Now my dogs would crying at the door if I was visiting somewhere and they were in someone's room other than mine! (not that that has anything to do with intelligence, though)

·
Registered
5,649 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I personally think Russell is just a silly, big ole bear.LOL. I don't think he thinks a lot about what he is doing, otherwise when we throw his snake toy down the hall he would know that he has to stop before he hits the wall. I mean we have been throwing down there for a good year now:) He still runs right into the wall..LOL LOL LOL.

Attachments

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That was great Moverking...I tired the towel with Woody and he got it right off - 5 points!!

Thanks Jennifer...we ran through the whole test...once Woody explained it to me...

Now anything which involved food & Woody - the food didn't stand a chance. Old Woody's got an appetite that seems to be un-ending. He went right through the towel over the treat and mowed over the can covered treat.

The treat under the low table was a bit of a problem only because he went right after it with his paws but kept knocking it furher back on the wood floor where he couldn't reach it. He couldn't get around to the other side as it was against the wall so he just looked to me for help - I gave him a four.

Now he only got a 3 on the name calling but I think that's unfair because they choose the wrong first word "refrigerator" - Woody knows all the good food is kept in the refrigerator so of course he was right there when I called him refrigerator.

And after all those treats came right to me when smiling at him.

So oh my god I must have a genus on my hands or perhaps better stated one very food motivated dog...good boy Woody.

Pete

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm not terribly sure I want a very intelligent dog. I need to be a step or so ahead of them and it sure isn't going to be physically!

The extremely intelligent (and wonderful) breeds ACC mentioned were bred to think independently for their jobs in life. Do I really want a malamute to concede to me when I want him to pull the sled onto thin ice?

·
Registered
140 Posts
in our case I would have to say cali our female is smarter. She learned to ask to go out wayyy before Jack did, her distructive days were MUCH shorter, she uses her nose to find things where as Jack doesnt seem to do that..but i love them equally and they both have totally different personalities!!!:) Jack is a shy submissive wuss lol but he steals the hearts of anyone that meets him!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts