Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hubby has to renew his CDL license with endorsments by his birthday in March. He went over Friday to the license place to renew and was told they needed to see his birth certificate. Why?, he asked. Well, to prove he was AN AMERICAN CITIZEN.!

Now, let's see. He war born in West Virginia in '44. he served 4 years in the navy. he has had a driver's licnse for 50 years. Got his first Texas license in "65. Has had a Texas CDL license since "72. He draws social security, and now he has to prove he is an American citizen to get his license renewed for the umpteeth time!

And as the woman told him, that isn't it. He has to pay $89 for a back ground check. HUH? a background check. He had to pay $60 odd for one done about 1 1/2 years ago for the Homeland secirity to get his TWIK card to get into most plants. (By the way, he has only ever been asked for it ONE time. Has pulled it out a number of times to show and the don't even look at it.) So why does he need another one?

Well, says the lady, this one is for the state of Texas. Hubby replies "I hae the one from Homeland security, isn't that good enough for the state." No. state requires all getting CDL to have a seperate background check.

So depsite having been born here, served in the naby, had a drivers' licesne for 50 years, a CDL for 40 years, drawing social security, having a Homeland Security backgrown check with TWIK card to prove it, he still has to produce a birth certificate in order to prove he is an american citizen, and pay for a state back ground check in order to get his CDL renewed.

oh, one other thing. the governement has set up a "points system" where each CDL is given so many points and if you get stopped with a tail light out, you lose a point, anything thing that the DOT finds wrong--if it is the mechanics fault--you lost points and after losing so many points, you lose your license. It don't know if this is en effect now or not, but drivers were up in arms over it.

We are wondering how many trucks coming in from Mexico (many are rattletraps) are driving by drivers with no real knowledge of American rules, they certainally do not have a homeland security or Texas background check, no way of knowing if their driver's license is really covereing what it should or not. Hubby has seen some of the rigs down in border towns and he said he wouldn't even get in one much less drive it, and many of the drivers do not even speak English.

We think this Texas back ground check is just a way for Texas to take in a little more money. Cleared by Homeland security should be enough. The governments on all levels is making it harder and harder on truckers.

Perhaps they should all shu6 down ande when folks piled up at service stations with no gas, at grocery stores with no food on shelves, at schools, resturants, etc with no food, at stores with no goods, massive lay offs at plants becuase they get get materials or products----perhaps they would put up an outcry to cut back on the stupid rules and regs and fees for truckers..keep the important ones, the ones for safety, etc, but these stupid ones have to go.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I went to get my son a new social secutiry card I misplaced his when we moved. I was told a birth ceftcate wasnt proof he was born here. I had a hard time as they accepted dr.records, school records an article from a news paper?? Well my son has not been to a dr since he was 10yrs old ( will be 20 in april). I homeschooled him and no newspaper articles since he was 6yrs old. He came with the second time around and we took in his gun safety certificate and his records from Tae kwon Do. He got his new card.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry your poor husband needs to go through that. I suspect you are correct--it's a revenue generator. Many of us with licenses through the state are paying even higher fees to add to the coffers, even if we are on "inactive" status.

I can tell which trucks on the highways are from Mexico even before looking at the license plates because they look unsafe!

Oh, and just getting a regular drivers license renewed at a license office is a long and time consuming experience. I got lucky last time and was offered the option to renew online. They don't ask for birth certificates that way. I think the last time I renewed in an office I had to bring my social security card and my passport. A federal military ID (dependent) didn't work. At that time they had separate lines based on the language you spoke and I breezed through the English language line. :)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I have nothing but problems with the DMV here in CA too. They are just nuts. When I went there to change my name after I got married, I had my new Social Security card in hand with new name, and they told me that due to a line being left blank on the marriage license, I could not get a drivers license with my new name. I said, Uh... Social Security had no problem with that line being left blank? And they said Sorry, you'll need to go through the court system to get your name legally changed. So my married name had no drivers license, my maiden name had no social security card. It was just a big cluster F!

Eventually sorted it all out by getting my military ID updated with my new name (they had no problem with my SS card as proof of legal name change :rolleyes:) and finally the DMV decided that since the federal government gave me a social security card AND a military id with my new name that they'd allow me to update my license.

Can we say pain in the butt!?!?

Sorry your husband is having problems with them... they are seriously all crazy!!!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I have nothing but problems with the DMV here in CA too. They are just nuts. When I went there to change my name after I got married, I had my new Social Security card in hand with new name, and they told me that due to a line being left blank on the marriage license, I could not get a drivers license with my new name. I said, Uh... Social Security had no problem with that line being left blank? And they said Sorry, you'll need to go through the court system to get your name legally changed. So my married name had no drivers license, my maiden name had no social security card. It was just a big cluster F!

Eventually sorted it all out by getting my military ID updated with my new name (they had no problem with my SS card as proof of legal name change :rolleyes:) and finally the DMV decided that since the federal government gave me a social security card AND a military id with my new name that they'd allow me to update my license.

Can we say pain in the butt!?!?

Sorry your husband is having problems with them... they are seriously all crazy!!!
We found out last year the importance of having the name spelled consistently in all those different documents. My FIL had a massive stroke and I prepared a financial power of attorney naming my hubby and his sister as designees--all was well until the bank asked for my SIL's passport, in addition to her DL, and she had her maiden name as her middle name on her DL, but not on her passport--BIG problem for the bank. I asked my SIL her legal name and she gave me what was on the DL, never realizing her passport was different.

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I posted 2 years ago about my trouble getting my social security. I was born in Australia way back in '45--Mom Aussie, Dad an American sailor (Texan) stationed there during WWII. Mom and I joined him in '46. Due to Mom bein gAussie and me born there, I had that citizenship. Duye to Daddy being American, I had tht citizenship as well.

in late 50"s I gave up my Aussie citizenship. All I knew aqs myt American kin, no intent6ion of every going to Australia. Mom had also become American citizen. My citizenship papers are identical to hers.

When I went to in to sign up for SS, i took my original birth certificate, original citizenship paper, marriage license, ss card, drivers license, everything. well, two months went by, hubby was getting his check, I wasn't. Come to find out Homeland security couldn't decide if I was an American citizen or not, and were askingfor my ORIGINAL Citizenship paper. The lady at SS told them NO WAZY would i EVER send it to Alabana or Georgia (can't remember which state.) Then everything was given to immigration to determine if I was an American citizen or not.

well, I had never been asked to [rove I was American when I paid in SS or taxes, got driver's licesne, voted, served on jury duty, etc. The lady at the SS office had verified that all my papers were original and sent in copies of them all. But still took the government 2 months to decide I was an American citizen....even tho I had legally been one since the day I was born June 4, l945.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts