Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Justin S
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month old is on Blue Lomgevity for puppies right now. He LOVES the food, has solid stools, but is very gassy during the day. These are the silent but can clear a room type! So my question is should I switch foods or rather would it help or are some Retrievers just gassy? The next question would be what should I switch him to without losing quality. It's also important that I can get it at my local petsmart to save on hassle. Thanks for any feedback and Merry X-mas!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
How long has he been on BB? If the gas is really bad I would consider switching, but if he's only been on it for a couple of weeks I maybe would suggest giving it a little more time for his tummy to adjust.

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
My nephew has a 4 month old rottweiler and he is fed Blue. I took the dog out over the weekend and the poop was the worst smelling thing I have ever experienced. Maybe that's just a puppy thing as I haven't had one that young in years so not sure. I have been feeding my 2 year old lab eukanuba and I don't smell a thing. No gas either.

So not sure what to tell you. If he hasn't been on it long, I would give it some time before changing.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I was wondering too how long as he been on the food? There have been alot of people here that had puppies that couldnt handle the Blue puppy food, it was too rich for their systems. You are lucky that he has had solid poops, most havent had that either. Mine are all on the ProPlan food and love it. He came from the breeder eating it.

·
Justin S
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Baxter has been on Blue Longevity for Puppies since the week I brought him home. The breeder I got him from was feeding him with food that they special ordered so I knew I would have to switch him. I transitioned him off that to Blue over the course of his first week home. So he has been on it for about 2 months now. He has always had solid, albeit smelly, stools. I only noticed the gassiness recently. I'm not sure if it's new or if I just never noticed before.

As far as Pro Plan goes I know a lot of people here use it and I know a lot of champion Golden's are on it. It honestly just seems to be a lesser quality food when you look at the ingredients side by side. I'm sure I'm just being stupid about that but every time I go to the store with the intent of buying a different food I come back with Blue. If it has resolved gassy problems for others here maybe it's time I bite the bullet and just do it.

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
As far as Pro Plan goes I know a lot of people here use it and I know a lot of champion Golden's are on it. It honestly just seems to be a lesser quality food when you look at the ingredients side by side.
I think you're right about that. The website www.dogfoodanalysis.com has reviews of dog foods that may be helpful. We've been feeding BB for almost 3 years now, and it was the first food to STOP the gas, loose stools, and allergies, but of course every dog is different. We fed BB large breed adult food for a year, then switched to the fish and oatmeal recipie, and are now feeding the wilderness salmon food. We didn't switch for any particular reason other than that we could afford the better, more expensive blends. You may want to try another high quality food for sensitive stomachs?!?

Best of luck to you and your pup!

·
Premium Member
18,562 Posts
dogfoodanalysis.com is not a very reliable source, the reviewers have no nutritional backgrounds, and if you notice about the only thing they base their best ratings on is meat content.

A lot of people have had trouble with Blue Buff, either gas or outright diarrhea. I know it looks like a good food but I've heard way too many dogs have trouble with it, and what the heck is in those life source bits?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts