Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:doh: last night.. or early morning whatever you wanna call it i woke up to moose pasing back and forth.. and to an ungodly smell.. the whole bedroom smelled.. i can't quite describe the smell.. but here i go.. really stinkey with a hint of copper.. lol.. it was soo bad.. so we left him out and when i came back he was just laying on the step.. he came back in and went right to sleep.. now.. i knew i smelled this before.. when he was a few weeks old we were in bed and i woke up to the same smell.. it was coming from his bum area.. as a puppy though he just slept and the smell was on the blanket.. i smelled his blankets lastnight and they don't smell.. just his bum.. but since he was outside it went away and now its just a hint of smell.. he could use a bath but its soo cold out so i might just wipe his bum (reason i never wanted kids was having to change them.. lol but i've already had to wipe poop off his bum once lol).. but what could it be ? i was thinking maybe anal glands.. but he doesn't seem to be having trouble.. and he wasn't in any sort of pain.. maybe just bad gas? sometimes i get a wif of the smell but sometimes i think its coming from his mouth.. the vet said she couldn't figure out what would cause it.. right now he's fine.. back to his 100%.. shoving all his christmas toys in my face.. lol

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Definitely sounds like anal glands. Beamer sometimes just releases his on his own... nothing to worry about unless he starts scooting or excessively licking back there.

Reactions: MikaTallulah

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya he's not scooting.. he will lick after the smell but other then that he's not doing it.. and when he comes in the house after he used the washroom he cleans himself.. lol so no worries then ? he seems ok now.. he's being lazy (afternoon nap time) and playing

·
Registered
163 Posts
It is probably his anal glands. However, if his mouth too smells constantly then you might want to rule out chances of a infection. Buddy had the same stinky smell coming from the bum area and his mouth and it was due to his penis infection. Just observe Moose closely for the next couple of days and if anything else crops up then you can consult his vet. Excessive licking is something that you should look out for and if possible stop him from licking his privates too much. That was how Buddy got the infection in his stomach and made himself so ill. It is probably nothing, but better to be safe, I guess. Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts