Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My golden retriever, Roxanne, started gagging uncontrollably. I took her to an emergency vet and they thought she got a bitter poison in her mouth. She hasn't been around it at all and they said her gagging should stop. The gagging did not stop and her frantically eating grass was worrisome so we took her to a different vet. She had surgery 1 week later to remove stomach blockage. All they found were items that she should have been able to pass (grass, leaves, and other small things). She has been healing very well. However, she is still straining to go to the bathroom and when she does, its small and watery. She is acting like something is stuck still. I'm worried because she hasn't been able to go to the bathroom for two days now and the vet does not know what is wrong with her. Has anyone encountered this problem or have any idea what it could be? Could they have missed something that may be in her intestines?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Sounds more like an intestinal blockage to me. Perhaps x-rays or s sonogram may reveal an additional problem. I am not a vet however.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
My golden Brady had a blockage in his stomach and intestines removed. They did not let him go home until he had a bowel movement to prove everything was working.

Sometimes even without a blockage or after a blockage, the intestines just stop working and need to be restarted or massaged if I remember correctly to start moving again. Had never heard of this until I went through this.

I am assuming all X-rays and ultrasounds show everything is clear.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
This is absolutely heartbreaking. It must be awful to see your best buddy like this, she has been through so much already!
Sending prayers for a super speedy healing so that things can get back to normal asap!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Gagging can be a sign of an abdominal tumor. It was the first signal we had that my Charlie had a tumor on his spleen. Lucky for my Charlie, an ultrasound revealed the tumor and we got it out before his spleen ruptured. "Benign" is my favorite word.

Good luck with Roxanne and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I would say, if the vet does not know what is wrong with her - I take it this is all over the phone right now - take her back in for x-rays, if that does not show anything, have an ultrasound done. I would rather be safe than sorry.
If that does not come up with anything, maybe try some kind of fiber in her diet to get things moving.

You never mentioned how long ago the surgery was - if it was just a few days ago - she would still be sore and painful and anesthesia can delay bowl movements as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Sam had an intestinal blockage and surgery to remove it. His stool was watery for quite some time after surgery. He wasnt his usual self for about 4 weeks after surgery.
However after his first surgery he was very unusual, so much in fact that we took him back to the vet and they did a second surgery at no cost to us. Im assuming that they did something wrong or missed something on the first surgery.
I know how frustrating it can be and scary! Hope you get some answers soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts