Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as I expected, Gabby is not liking Mom going back to work. She is crated, she has bones in her crate, but this week she has started chewing on her leg. So far it is mild. However yesterday and today I did put her in her crate with a cone on her. :(

I have Bitter Apple I have not used. I believe it is older than dirt so I need to toss it. Someone recommended Bitter Yuck, and I heard of a product named "Phooey" or "Fooey". I was wondering if anyone here has any personal experience and can tell me how any of these products worked for them. I HATE using the cone. It is cut down, but she can't turn around in her crate and she spills her water. She never did this before I was laid off at work so I just need to find a way to stop her until she gets the routine going again. She is bored and mad she is crated.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to keep her from chewing herself? I am might check with a neighbor and see is she is willing (for money) to walk Gabby a couple times a week just to see if that helps but then again that can get expensive. I do get Gabby out pretty much every night when we get home. She gets out more than any other dog I own. She is just the busiest of my dogs, and is not too happy sitting still.

Just so you know I do NOT do doggy day care. That is out of the question financially or in my gut. To me they are like dog parks and I would NEVER leave my dog at one. Especially Gabby, they probably wouldn't want her anyway. She does not play too nice.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have given her frozen peanut butter kongs, but I suspect she is done with that 10 minutes after I give it to her. She is a CHOW HOUND!!! Gets frenzied for food. I also think she licked her leg more after because now she had peanut butter residue on it. I did that for a couple days, and it did not improve her leg. I worry too, about too much peanut butter over the course of time.

I also have to be very careful what I put in with her, because she is a toy destroyer and eater. I use the big kong, and real bones. Nothing she can get pieces off of. I have had enough obstruction scares with her.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I hate to say it, but sounds like a good long walk in the morning is in order. I honestly think the morning walks are the most imperative to dogs, especially when they're crated during the day. Dogs sleep all night then are asked to go into a crate for 8 hours? Or, asked to be calm and not wreck anything in the house all day? I think they need a release for their energy before they can be expected to be happy and quiet again for another 8 hours (or longer) until their people come home.

When Ranger was crated and i worked full time, I woke up 90 minutes earlier than I had to so I could take him for a 30-45 minute walk before putting him in the crate. Usually I put his backpack on him to better burn off the energy, whether it was empty or filled with a soup can on each side. Got home, he went outside while I got ready for work, then had his breakfast, and got put into the crate with a frozen kong. Like you, I never left anything in the crate that could be ingested or destroyed. Super hard nylabones smeared with peanut butter and a frozen kong was all that was in there (besides a think blanket).

Ranger needed that morning walk to be calm and happy in his crate, though. I don't think I could have put him in it without that long walk. With the walk, he went in happily and calmly. Without it, he resisted and gave me sad eyes. The sad eyes killed me.

I'd also look into breaking down your evening walk into two shorter ones if you can. I'd walk Ranger right when I got home and let him out from the crate, then we'd chill for a few hours and then I'd walk him after supper, too. That worked better than just one long walk for tiring him out.

Also, if you want a good frozen kong recipe: check out my blog. Instead of kibble, use cookies that you can barely wedge into the hole of the kong. Ranger can de-stuff any kong in a matter of 10 minutes or less, but these keep him going for about an hour (longer, if there are two big cookies in them). It's a fine line between making it hard enough to keep them occupied for longer than ten minutes but not hard enough they give up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just wanted to let you know Bitter Yuck is terrible! Even holding my breath and spraying it I would taste it for hours! I would use the bitter apple over it any day! Good luck I hope you find something that works!

·
Kate
21,676 Posts
I was thinking morning walk or morning romp outside... except I remembered you leave in the wee hours of the morning as it is. I have coworkers who get up at 4AM to get the dogs out for a walk before they leave for work, but I wouldn't want to do that. :yuck:

Do you have any family members or friends who might not charge or would charge less if they visit and hang out while the dogs run around the back yard for a half hour?

At least until she adapts to your schedule.

The other option is see if there is somebody in the area where you work who would be open to providing daycare during the day. I'm not sure if your new job is in Ann Arbor, but I think there are a few trusted dog training people who live in that area. Even if you just need a place to park her crate during the day where you can go over on your lunchbreaks to get her out for walks or playtime.

I wouldn't really want somebody else handling or walking my dog. But if they are just letting her out to get fresh air a couple times a day, it might be all that she needs.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Bonnie wasn't exactly happy about being in her crate for a period of time as well. She chewed off chunks of her tail feathers.:( Instead for her I set up an xpen with a top on it and put she and her half brother Butch in there together. When she had someone to pester all day long the self-destructive behaviour stopped. Now that she is big enough that she has a lot more loose time at night she is able to settle into her crate during the day.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
When Nugget was a puppy we tried Phoooey. He thought that it was a condiment.

I agree with Ranger - Tire out Gabby before you go to work and she will be glad to have the peace and quiet.

I think that giving her the Kong when you first leave the house is her cue that she is going to be alone for a long time. As a result she probably eats if quickly because she is nervous. If you could get someone to come by and deliver the frozen Kong a couple of hours before you normally return it may work out better.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I wonder if a session with Jessica's exercise ball in the morning would help. I know with Winter I need to mentally wear her out as well as physically. I think Gabby would have to really think about staying on that ball, at least at first.
Hope you can find a solution, or combo of solutions that work soon.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem with morning walks is I already get up at 5AM to leave for work 6ish. Not sure I can get up earlier when 4 out of 5 weeknights I am out late with Gabby's classes. I know she would enjoy the walks, but they would not tire her in the least or shorten her crate time. I am contemplating it, but I am useless if I don't get enough sleep.

I do hope to get an exercise ball, and plan to do that on miserable weather nights and just while watching TV to occupy her. I am asking for one for Christmas.

Gabby INHALES all things edible. She eats the kong fast because as a pup in her litter of 2 he who ate the fastest got the most. She downs food so fast it's scary. She does have a slow feeder bowl too. She sees no reason to slow down. Part of the reason we get so worried about obstructions when she goes off her food.

I don't see this as a permanent issue. Gabby is having a very hard time re-adjusting to my being back at work. She doesn't get to "do" all day and she misses me. I just want a solution other than a cone to keep her from chewing while she settles back into a routine. We don't have space for our bigger crate or an xpen. Quinn is crated too. Our house is not that big. I could not crate Quinn and Gabby together that would be seriously bad. Gabby cant go in the backyard with other dogs unless supervised. She can get carried away.

So that is why I need potions to stop chewing in that spot. Bitter Yuck sounds like it might do the trick. Need to remember, apply outside. What if you paint it on instead of spray?? Get a craft paint brush? Think that would make less yucky for us?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts