Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3 goldens
12,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back on Dec. 21 my Great Pyrenees, Princess Jewel spent 8 days in ICU with hepatitis and a sudden paralysis in her rear legs. I brought her home and she was on comforter pallet between the sofa and recliner. I had gotten washabel pee pads and daipers for her. She could nto stand much less walk. I gave her her antibiotics but stopped the Gabapentin. I worked hard every day massaging her legs and back, exercising her legs, using heating pad on her. She finally got to where she could sit up. Then eventually stand for a couple of minutes, then take a few steps. I slept on the sofa for a month and half to be near her. She progressed on to where she walks everywhere. Her rear is still wak and she sometimes needs help getting up from a squatting position when she pees.

Well, about a month ago she went downhill and couldn't' use her back legs. But the next day she was fine. I started her back on her pain pills (have a pill a day). Then last week one day she was a limping a little and the next morning I gave her her pain pill and then her Gabapentin, which she had not had in a while. Gave them to her at like 8:00 and 8:30. By 2:00 she had not gotten up to eat and w got he up and her legs twist and her right rear foot knuckled under. She could nto walk at all. We had to hold her rear up and take her to go potty.

I block off the wy into the dining/kitchen at night as she has trouble walking on the tile. Well, the net morning I was woke up by her barking. I went into the livingroom and there she stood in front of the stool blocking the way into the dining. I set it up and she went to where her food dish sits and looked at me. she was ready for breakfast. She was perfectly normal the rest of the day and every since. The first time it happened, a month ago, we considered Gabapentin causing but decied she had been on it about 3 weeks befroe that deal back in Dec., had been on it when I first brought her home, but I didn't like giving to many meds, so had stopped. I gave it to her to start back up a month ago and her back end wouldn't work--for just the day. No more Gabby until last week--and then it happened again. I will never give her another one.

Now, since in my life I have owned 7 English Setters and 2 Irish Setters, I belong to a large setter group on FB. And becaue I have owned 6 goldens, I belong to 3 golden groups on FB, and since I have owned 3 Great Pyrenees, I belong to 4 Pyrenees groups on FB. I told this story on each and was shocked at the number of posters who said ready my story about Jewels lgs was like ready the story of thier dog. Some said their dogs completely stopped working like her's did, othrs said thier dogs just staggered and would fall over. Of course many had no problem at all, but I as so shocked at the number who had. AND the number that said a about humans. The first guy to post about that said it gave him "brain fog" and he himself cut the dosage in half and that helped. One lady said it messed with her husband's brain so bad he didn't remembr how to pump gas into the car. On lady said it stiffened her back so bad she couldn't bend over. One lady is a health care worker (in home) and the guy she was tending to almost died.
I have taken it for years. I am suppose to take 600 MG three times a day, but only take it twice. No problem at all for me. For some reason I had never thought about it being dangerous to humans or animals. One other thing we wondered about. She had been taking it about 3 weeks before she went totally paralyzed in her real legs las Dec. My vet could find no reason for it and he didn't think she would ever walk again. We are now wondering if maybe it was the gabby that cause it back then!

I do think most dogs can take it with no problem, tho it dos appear many have problems, especially larger dogs. I wanted to post just in case your dog is on Gabapentin and starts going weak in rear end, off balance and staggering, acting a little lost (that was another thing mentioned), then contact your vet and discuss with him/her what is going on and is it could possibily be the Gabapentin This is my Princess Jewel.
100_5011.JPG

Reactions: cwag and tikiandme

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was prescribed gabapentin after a car accident with a serious neck and shoulder injury. I took one dose and never took it again. I had brain fog so bad I literally sat and stared at my computer and couldn't type my password. I knew my password but had to really concentrate to be able to type it in. It apparently works well for some people. I've had several surgeries over the years and have found I'm very sensitive to some of the drugs they prescribe. I tend to not take pain meds.

Duke, my oldest golden, was prescribed it about a year ago. I didn't even want to try it, but after lengthy discussions with the vet I did. It made no noticeable difference so I stopped giving it. I did have to taper him off of it. Sometimes I feel like meds can do as much harm as good. Having an aging dog that you love feels a lot like walking a balance beam. You want to do everything you can to help, while making sure your doing no harm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What dose of gabapentin was she on? Our vet prescribed it for our dog, but we found that he did better on a lower dose. The prescribed dose left him lethargic and not wanting to go on walks. A lower dose worked much better.

·
3 goldens
12,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She was on 600 mgs twice a day, but I was only giving it once a day after what happened to her last Dec. 21 because she was on other meds and I didnt' want to over do. And she did start to use her legs and walk. One thing some on my Pyr groups said was often doctors prescribe higher doses becaue the dogs are so big, but they actually should have lower doses becaue their metabolism is so much slower. My 115 pound Pyr only ate 2 cups of food a day, my 75 pound golden would eat 2 1/2 to 3 a day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the info. For reference, my vet prescribed 300mg, three times a day. He seems to do better on 300mg twice a day. Our dog weighs about 88 lbs.

·
3 goldens
12,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the guys said he had grain fog until his dosage was cut in half.. It must affect humans and dogs. A couple said it made their dogs aggressive. They stopped using it. You just never know do you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts