Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out a list of possible names for my puppy. If it's a girl, her name will for sure be Abigail (Abby).

However, I'm stuck on boy names (boy puppy is my first pick). The only ones I can think of so far that I like are Boaz (nickname Beau) or Forrest. Just to give you an idea, I lean more towards people names for dogs. I'm not against nature-y names or less common people names, though. Our previous dog was named Frank (loved that dog; may use Frank as a middle name for the new pup) and our old man permanent foster dog is named Ernie (we didn't name him, but we do like his name).

Any ideas? Puppy is almost a year away, but it'd be nice to have a list to see which fits the puppy best!

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awww, how about Barry? Riley? Sam? I've never met a dog named Frank, but wow it is a cute name!
He was a dachshund; first name Frank middle name Furter (Frankfurter). Sadly, I can't take credit for that naming genius. I was young; just old enough to have a say that I didn't want his name to be Oscar. :)

I do like Sam!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Assuming a GR, what about "Midas" (as in "King Midas with the golden touch")?
It will be a golden for sure! I like Midas, but it's not really my style for a dog name. It would be a good name if I ever get another gecko, though! I could see a male yellow leopard gecko names Midas. :)

Right now my list is:
Beau
Samuel (Sam)
Franklin
Forrest
Archie

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mario! It has personality, is fun/mischievous (to me), has lots of nicknames, and isn't a common dog name.
That's cute!

Jake
Jack
Henry
Luke
Maybe look at the names of the characters in your favorite movies, books, and TV shows for inspiration.
I like Henry and Jack!

There are so many good names to choose from. Maybe I should just get the whole litter of puppies so I can use them all. 😂

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a giant list of names on my phone haha! Some of my favorites are old man names like George, Winston, Franklin, Henry, etc. Our boys are Gus and Ben. We almost named Ben one of those names, but he looked so much like a Ben when we picked him up (he’s a Newfie puppy).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a giant list of names on my phone haha! Some of my favorites are old man names like George, Winston, Franklin, Henry, etc. Our boys are Gus and Ben. We almost named Ben one of those names, but he looked so much like a Ben when we picked him up (he’s a Newfie puppy).
Those are great names! Franklin and Henry are on my list! Winston is cute too!

I do like Franklin for a more personal reason as our family dog was named Frank and he was such an amazing dog. I have a feeling the name will be obvious when I see the puppy. For now, I will just have my mile long list. 😂

·
Registered
126 Posts
Those are great names! Franklin and Henry are on my list! Winston is cute too!

I do like Franklin for a more personal reason as our family dog was named Frank and he was such an amazing dog. I have a feeling the name will be obvious when I see the puppy. For now, I will just have my mile long list. 😂
Once you meet him, you’ll definitely be able to see what name fits best. Good luck, and I can’t wait to see your new pup in the future!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am trying to figure out a list of possible names for my puppy. If it's a girl, her name will for sure be Abigail (Abby).

However, I'm stuck on boy names (boy puppy is my first pick). The only ones I can think of so far that I like are Boaz (nickname Beau) or Forrest. Just to give you an idea, I lean more towards people names for dogs. I'm not against nature-y names or less common people names, though. Our previous dog was named Frank (loved that dog; may use Frank as a middle name for the new pup) and our old man permanent foster dog is named Ernie (we didn't name him, but we do like his name).

Any ideas? Puppy is almost a year away, but it'd be nice to have a list to see which fits the puppy best!

Thanks!
WE have used Ginger, Maggie, Clancy, and Grady. I think Grady was my favorite name. We are thinking of Riley for our next Golden.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I saw a golden at work a few days ago; he was so sweet and smart! He knew sit, paw, and 'hold your leash' and loved being praised and petted for giving his paw. I was rammed into a few times in his excitement, but I was in golden retriever heaven, so I didn't mind one bit. :love: Made my day. Only around 303 more days until I get my puppy...;)

Sadly, there was also a sick old golden at work as well; cancer is suspected but not confirmed yet. She was sweet too; I was restraining her back end while she was getting her ultrasound and she kept trying to wag her tail throughout it. Poor sweet girl. I feel bad for the owners.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts