Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few posts/threads that reference some sort of "impending doom" of the AKC and/or the Golden Retriever breed. People make statements like "...if the AKC is even around in 5 or 10 years..."

I guess I understand the argument, in terms of the Golden Retriever breed, and problems associated with a glut of unscrupulous breeders (although I'm not sure I agree with an assertion that this is going to cause a weakening of the breed).

But I really have no idea what people are talking about, in terms of the AKC. Is there some backstory that I'm missing?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
AKC is a register of dogs. That is what they do.
AKC registrations continue to decline - DVM

Numbers of American Kennel Club (AKC) registrations have posted sharp decreases since 1992 levels, and the numbers for all purebred animals are thought to be on the decline as well.

As Animal Rights Activist continuely have pointed the finger at all breeders (not just bad ones) it has given the impression to many pet people that there is no value in registering their dogs. Many of the newer laws/regulations put in across the country don't just hurt "bad breeders" but quality ones also. The above is very generalized and I want to be clear that there is definately a difference between animal welfare which I believe all of us on the forum support vs animal rights which is in the end trying to end pet ownership.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the concise response. Definitely an eye opener.

I'd imagine there'd be a floor for this trend, though. I mean, there's always going to be enthusiasts and people committed to continuing the quality of breeds, right? And It is a true statement that a consumer will likely get a healthier dog (on average) going through a reputable breeder, than getting a dog with a totally unknown background at the pound.

Obviously, it is a noble thing to rescue an animal that's in a bad place, but if that good deed likely results in $15K+ in vet bills, won't people reconsider buying from a breeder?

I tried to adopt a dog from an animal shelter about 8 months ago, but had to bring the dog back because I wasn't able to overcome a lot of temperament and aggression issues with kids, even after several obedience courses and 100+ hours of pretty intensive training. That experience prompted me to go with a breeder and a breed I trusted more.

AKC is a register of dogs. That is what they do.
AKC registrations continue to decline - DVM

Numbers of American Kennel Club (AKC) registrations have posted sharp decreases since 1992 levels, and the numbers for all purebred animals are thought to be on the decline as well.

As Animal Rights Activist continuely have pointed the finger at all breeders (not just bad ones) it has given the impression to many pet people that there is no value in registering their dogs. Many of the newer laws/regulations put in across the country don't just hurt "bad breeders" but quality ones also. The above is very generalized and I want to be clear that there is definately a difference between animal welfare which I believe all of us on the forum support vs animal rights which is in the end trying to end pet ownership.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
On the subject of will there be purebreds for the akc to register.
Look at this bill they are trying to put into law in Hawaii

American Kennel Club - Hawaii SB2504 Would Outlaw Sale of Any Unsterilized Dog

A bill has been introduced in Hawaii that would prohibit selling or giving away an unsterilized cat or dog. The Senate Commerce and Consumer Protection Committee and Economic Development and Technology Committee (CPN/EDT) have scheduled a public hearing on Senate Bill 2504 on Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 9:00 a.m.
Importation of dogs to the Hawaiian Islands is limited and strictly regulated. If all cats and dogs sold or given away must be sterilized, it calls into question where citizens of Hawaii will obtain future generations of pets. Every Hawaii resident who wishes to have the choice to own a dog or cat in the future should contact the committee members and respectfully state opposition to SB2504.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Yes it is. We as pet owners need to be very aware of the implications of mandatory spay/neuter laws and laws that would 'permit' intact dogs but carry extreme licensing fees and/or regulations.

We also need to get involved in protecting our right to share our lives with dogs & cats.

That certainly is some pretty heavy handed legislation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be just as easy to craft legislation that says something like:

Any person, corporation, or entity that breeds an animal for the purpose of selling shall make reasonable attempts to verify health within the animal's genetic lineage. Reasonable attempts shall be defined as...

I read the Hawaiian Senate bill in its entirety (it's only few hundred words). It seems clumsy and unthoughtful. I would be pretty annoyed if I were a Hawaiian resident...

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Activist have pushed it to the point where I live that I can't take Jack to the beach & let him go chase a ball because he might stumble on a piping plover nest although there are more nesting on roofs than the beach. I will not get political. Sorry for changing the point

·
gone
1,443 Posts
There are some and I stress 'some' irresponsible dog owners who allow their dogs to chase the pipers and destroy their nests, the few who ruin it for the rest.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I think that part of the reason that AKC registrations are down is because of the uptick in "designer" breeds that can be registered with the CKC. Most uneducated owners think a registry is a registry and have no clue that registering their doodle with CKC actually means nothing. I wonder what the stats are on the CKC and whether they have gone up or down in registrations.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Activist have pushed it to the point where I live that I can't take Jack to the beach & let him go chase a ball because he might stumble on a piping plover nest although there are more nesting on roofs than the beach.I will not get political on here. Sorry for changing the point.
You have a friend from Maine! There are two Plover on our three miles long beach, and it becomes a no dog zone. Grrrrr. Meanwhile, cats, racoon, and fox are trapped and killed to protect them. All two of them. . . I don't blame this one democrats or republicans though, lol. The bird fanatics are legends all by themselves.

Reactions: LibertyME
1 - 12 of 12 Posts