Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a few listings on Ebay for Furminators that were only $13 and free shipping...so I decided to buy one. I've heard that it can remove too much undercoat, is this true? If so, how often could I safely "furminate" (lol!) my two? One has a very dense undercoat and the other has a very thin one.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would brush them with the furminator only once a week. Dont use it on the feathers.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I got mine off ebay too! I haven't used it on the pups yet... They still have their puppy coats so they aren't shedding too badly yet, but my cat does and it works AWESOME on her. :D :D :D

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
I guess I can have an opinion on the Furminator, I use them every day. I found a bunch on Amazon that are the old model without the hair ejector feature for 5 bucks each....they are genuine Furminators without the bells and whistles. Use it with care and a light hand, No feathers, no tail and you will be fine.....they really get the job done when used sparingly

Reactions: leonidas7

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
I'm glad it works for you, I always felt like it was cutting top coat as well as undercoat.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I guess I can have an opinion on the Furminator, I use them every day. I found a bunch on Amazon that are the old model without the hair ejector feature for 5 bucks each....they are genuine Furminators without the bells and whistles. Use it with care and a light hand, No feathers, no tail and you will be fine.....they really get the job done when used sparingly

I agree completely -- I have the older model too and love it.

I don't use mine every day, usually 2-3 times/week but just don't go overboard with it, both mine don't mind it at all and it greatly reduces "fur bunnies" around the house -- they have a thick undercoat for a reason but shed it like crazy for a reason too.

I remember watching a video on youtube when I first got it to show me how to use it -- I'd recommend finding one of those and watching before trying it for the first time.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Jerry would you clarify?
Do you use it on your own dog everyday or do you use it on various customer dogs during the course of your job as a groomer?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts