Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These maybe totally stupid questions.... but i gotta ask lol.
Will using the furminator ruin the coat? Or is it just getting already pulled out dead hair out?
How often am I supposed to use it? once a month? or once a week? I saw somewhere, that its once every 6 weeks...

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
One of mine hates it.. one loves it. I can't say I've noticed that it damaged either of their coats after using it, but I guess with a lot of repeated use it could. I don't really use mine now, because a slicker brush does the job just fine, and Sam's a shedding machine either way.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
It can ruin the coat, it strips the hairs in the process of pulling out the dead coat. I've heard that's only if overused or used in the wrong way but not going to try it anyhow.

A greyhound comb does a good job of getting the dead coat out, as does a nice warm bath with lots of scrubbing.:)

Lana

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I use an undercoat rake with the solid steel spikes when the shedding is heavy. After the rake I go for the slicker. There is a great variation in golden coats so you need to experiment to find what works best for you.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I use an undercoat rake with the solid steel spikes when the shedding is heavy. After the rake I go for the slicker. There is a great variation in golden coats so you need to experiment to find what works best for you.

This is so true! Sam and Dillon's coats are totally different.. Sam's got a thick undercoat and tons of feathering and he requires tons of brushing.. and he STILL sheds all over my house. I really don't think Dillon sheds AT ALL.. his fur is very soft and short, and sometimes even a slicker brush is a bit too much for him.. I could literally use my regular hairbrush on him and that's all he needs. All the dog hair dustbunnies all over the floor of my house (and clothing) is BLONDE. :doh:

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
We LOVE the furminator and are constantly amazed at how much fur we get out. It's def. an outside only tool !!!!! Our girls have abundant, lush coat. We don't use it on feathers or tail and haven't had any damage from it.

·
Super Moderator
3,527 Posts
I borrowed one from our trainer last year and was amazed how well it worked in getting the undercoat out but my sister in law who is a groomer says it does cut the hair and not to use it and a metal comb is better. I'm on the search for the right tool presently as the shedding season has begun in our house and with a Golden and an Eskie, the fur is flying so to speak!

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
I love it & don't know what I ever did without one. However, I use it more on Goldie since she has a bushy coat & Aspen's is slick. In the summer, I use it 1-2 times per month; in the winter only a few times throughout the season prior to their shampoos.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've got one and just used again and got another 2 goldens from the fead hair i got from Shelley and Einstein. I don't find much difference in using the furminator to a metal comb. The only difference is the furminator pulls more hair out in a shorter time frame. but i still find it takes an hour to do each dog. But by looking at the dog theres no difference.
Picture of Shelley using metal comb,undercoat rake & slicker brush

Picture of Shelley after using undercoat rake,furminator & slicker brush

Please let me know if you see a difference between the pictures eg coat.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I use the Furminator on Mila much more than on Tia. Mila's coat is much thicker, and I know it's time to use the Furminator when I start seeing 'puffs' of fur sticking out. Her skin seems very sensitive, so I use the tool only for a couple of minutes at a time, and very gently. But it removes a ton of hair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts