Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 6-8 weeks I been trying to find out why my golden has such coarse hair on his spine... It's wavy, and not smooth.

He's 9 months old, I been feeding Van Gogh fish oil pills, and flax seed oil pills and vitamin E every other day.

I give him a bath weekly and I use isle of dog products, give him eukanuba food, isle of dog fur, And joint dog treats.

Rest of his fur on his body is silky smooth but on his spine area is different..

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or what I can do differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Maybe it is just a hereditary thing. That coarse hair is something that he inherited from his parents and all the things you are doing will not change that. One of mine is teddy-bear soft, and the other not so much.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
At his age that hair down his spine is probably just his adult fur coming in. It's sometimes referrred as a "racing stripe". It will all even out and become more uniform as he matures. His adult fur will be different than the puppy fur.

·
Registered
994 Posts
At his age that hair down his spine is probably just his adult fur coming in. It's sometimes referrred as a "racing stripe". It will all even out and become more uniform as he matures. His adult fur will be different than the puppy fur.
Yup, Cassie had that too. Soft puppy fur on the side, coarse wavy racing stripe up top.

Don't worry... once the fur grows in, it'll all be nice and soft.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe you all may be right. It's a stripe down his back; so ill just wait and see how he does.

What's a suggested dosage of fish oil? I've read many articles stating for larger dogs 2000mg of fish oil is suggested. But I wasn't sure

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Here's a pic of Hank's racing stripe when he was about that age, if you look close you can see the differet length & texture..

Attachments

·
Kate
20,707 Posts
When you brush the fur upward, does he have a lot of dandruff?

The reason why I ask - and it could be the lighting in the picture, but the coat (not just the back) does look a little dryer/duller than it should be.

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
He looks like a puppy getting his grown up fur to me. :) I'm sure he's fine. If you're really concerned a trip to the vet will probably reassure you. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
Yup - it's the adult fur. Tesia's came in like that at about that age, and she never lost it. The rest of her fur is really soft, but she has that one strip of coarse, wavy fur down her spine. Hers looks exactly like the ones in the photos posted in this thread.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have a photo of what she looks like now?

The breeder said the mom is a curly hair golden " old world field golden " is what he said the fur type is.

I don't know what that is, or what that means: is that good?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
Do you have a photo of what she looks like now?

The breeder said the mom is a curly hair golden " old world field golden " is what he said the fur type is.

I don't know what that is, or what that means: is that good?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Her fur is almost exactly like your Van Gogh's (hers is even wavier up top), or Willow52's Hank further up in this thread, or NindeGold's Tucker. It is just normal Golden Retriever fur! Part of what makes them unique. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know you asked about the recommended dosage of fish oil. We give our dog Nordic Naturals and here is what they recommend. Hope it helps.
20–39 lbs.: 1/2 tsp. (184 mg EPA/253 mg DHA)
40–59 lbs.: 1 tsp. (368 mg EPA/506 mg DHA)
60–79 lbs.: 1 1/2 tsp. (552 mg EPA/759 mg DHA)
80–99 lbs.: 2 tsp. (736 mg EPA/1012 mg DHA)
100+ lbs.: 3 tsp. (1104 mg EPA/1518 mg DHA)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts