Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering at what age GR's have their full coat? Also, when do they start to look more stalky (Sp)? Cooper is 8 months old and still really long legged and skinny. He is not neutered yet, we were thinking somewhere between 10-12 months old. It seems like his weight gain has kind of halted, he only weighs 58 lbs which he has gained only like 5 lbs in the last 6 weeks. I'm hoping he gets bigger! He's 22 inches tall. Is there any truth to taking the weight at 6 months and doubling it to know what their full adult weight will be? If so, we have a long way to go.

Ok one more question.....we were at the vet today which he loves going because of course there are new people to play with and the resident cat to sniff. He was sitting by the desk and started "chattering" his teeth, shaking (i believe excitement vs. anxiety) and fur was just flying off him. What is this? I'm sure hoping its not a precursor to anxiety problems. I noticed the fur flying one other time when he was really excited.

:confused::bowl:

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
You won't see a full adult coat until around 2 years of age, so you still have a long way to go. Our 16-month-old is still growing his coat. Goldens blow their coats several times a year and it can take several months for it to all come back in.

As far as weight, 58 pounds is right around where he should be at 8 months old. That is generally the age when growth starts to slow down quite a bit. You don't want him to grow too fast or put too much weight on since that can have a negative impact on his joints. Slow growth is always best and you want to avoid obesity, which is, unfortunately, very common in retrievers. It's always recommended to keep them lean and make sure they get plenty of exercise. We keep Tucker right around 70 pounds at his 24-inch height.

The teeth chattering could be either over-excitment in a new environment or anxiety.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I agree with Jo above. Even though they don't grow much in height he will fill out in both body and coat till he is about two.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,603 Posts
Just wondering at what age GR's have their full coat? Also, when do they start to look more stalky (Sp)? Cooper is 8 months old and still really long legged and skinny. He is not neutered yet, we were thinking somewhere between 10-12 months old. It seems like his weight gain has kind of halted, he only weighs 58 lbs which he has gained only like 5 lbs in the last 6 weeks. I'm hoping he gets bigger! He's 22 inches tall. Is there any truth to taking the weight at 6 months and doubling it to know what their full adult weight will be? If so, we have a long way to go.

:confused::bowl:
Golden Males continue to slowly grow and fill out until about age 3.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
As a comparison, my Molson is almost 11 months and he weighs right around 65 lbs. His coat is nowhere near complete. I sure hope that doubling the weight at 6 months isn't true - Molson would be 100 lbs! :p

Molson was pretty long and lanky at 8 months, and like you said, that's about when his weight and height started its plateau. Since then he has just started to fill out a little bit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know! THanks guys. I was worried that he was too skinny because his hips are really bony. The vet said he is thin but not emaciated so I guess that's good. I suppose; like humans; when you're young your metabolism is also really high. His neck fur is really wavy and poofy, I'm excited to see his full coat. I need to post some updated pics!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts