Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I know everyone on this forum are huge animal loves with multiple fur-babies, I was wondering if anyone had a limit to the amount of fur-babies(dogs, cats, horses, etc) you would want at once and/or if you have already surpassed it. When I got Nyah I though one was enough, but then we got our new kitty and I'm not so sure anymore. I wouldn't mind having another golden and another kitty around in a few years (Shhhh I didn't say that ;)). My limit seems to be rising with every new fur-baby I adopt :doh:. I was thinking about volunteering at a local animal shelter but realized that isn't a good idea or else I am bound to have a zoo in my house. :D lol

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Currently I have three dogs and four cats. My all time high was 4 dogs and 5 cats. My goal in the future is 2 dogs and 1 cat. No, I am not getting rid of any of my pets, but I won't be adding to the zoo for quite a while. All of my cats are seniors, ranging in age from 9 to 15.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Currently I have 4 of my goldens, my son currently lives home with his one golden. I occasionally keep my other sons 2 labs. My son away at college has a lab mix who I keep when he travels for club tennis. When I have 8 here, it is too much!!!! 4 are 2 years old or under?!?! Eventually, I'll just have 2 Goldens......not getting rid of any either though!

·
Kate
21,688 Posts
It's as much as I can afford...

Which at this point is 3 dogs (we have 2 right now - and I will bring home a third at some point), 1 cat, 6 birds, and the horse. ;)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Our limit is two--due to our lifestyle, house configuration and walking routines. Right now though, it's best we are at just one, even though I'd love to add a puppy to the family! Our Toby has had a number of health issues that required expensive diagnostic and monitoring tests and he also had a double cataract removal surgery. We need to recover, emotionally and financially.:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
for the longest time we only had one cat, as we didn't live somewhere that allowed more than that. now that we have moved into our own place on a very spacious farm, we have 1 dog and 2 cats, and in the spring when we build our large dog run i hope to get at least one more dog and hopefully another golden. but for the winter i get to babysit all my family's dogs has they travel to 'warm destinations' (curse being a broke college student!) so in December we will have 3 additional dogs here, one being a great dane haha, but i am excited.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I have 2 dogs, (although Lucy should only count for 1/2 a dog, if that ;)), and 2 cats. More than I should have right now because of my finances, but...they were with me long before I lost my job, so they're with me forever, no matter what, (but I would never add another right now). Thankfully, I have a high limit CareCredit account for their vet needs.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I've only ever had one dog. I think my limit would be one more pet, mostly because I'm a student living a very transient lifestyle, but also because I hope to one day travel extensively, and I know having more than one or two pets would make that very difficult.

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
I never in a million years ever thought I would have more than 2 dogs and 1 cat. Then I started fostering, and 1 extra dog somehow inched up to 2 extra dogs. Today I have my two dogs, 1 adult foster, and four 8 week old puppies in my house. I don't think I have been down under four dogs in the last two years, always seems to be at least 2 adult fosters, or a litter of puppies.

How did this happen?

When my son comes over to visit and brings both his Goldens, I do reach my limit, six adult dogs is more than I can handle.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My limit is "no more after XXXX". Meaning, each time I get a new pet, I say that's it, no more....until the next one anyways :doh:

I have 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 2 rabbits. Once my rabbits are gone (no not getting rid of them), no more rabbits. I will always have 2 dogs. I will always have 1 cat, and eventually I want 2 horses, 2 goats, 2 pigs, multiple chickens, and multiple cows. LOL!

I love being surrounded by animals :D.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
One dog at a time is my limit. Two horses is one too many but I love them both and am too fussy about where home I require for the extra horse, so he stays with me.

Things were really out of hand when I had 12 horses and 3 were preggers, 30 chickens and only God knew how many cats were living in the hay loft!

Although I envy those who post pictures of their many Goldened families, I'm an content with what I have now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts