Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Codys mom
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deciding on a puppy was hard work for us as we went to show after show looking for a champion that ticked all the boxes for us, then came the long wait as we waited for the studs owner to let us know when he had been put to a suitable bitch. Its a bit back to front but we wanted a male with a certain look & temperament so we went looking for the stud first & told the breeder to let us know when he was put to a bitch who matched our criteria in looks, temperament & health. It took two years to find the stud & another two years before he was mated to a bitch we felt happy with. It's been worth the wait & all the checking & meetings with breeders as he is a top quality dog with an impressive pedigree & genetics. We decided not to show him as I am unable to drive due to an injury, but he does obedience & some agility.

What this loooong ramble is leading up to is a question of how much you can see of the sire & dam in your dog's behaviour. Cody looks just like his daddy - we really wanted that and we are pleased we got it, but as he gets older I am more & more amused to find he has other of his daddys' habits too. He has only briefly seen his sire once as a pup so he couldn't have learnt the behaviours but he certainly has them.

One habit in particular is amazing. His daddy is a total clown & when he sees people looking at him he will go over to his water bucket, scoop a mouthfull of water up into the air & pretend to catch the water coming down. As long as he has an audience he will do it. Cody started doing the same when he turned one. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Obviously not everyone knows the sire & dam of their pup like this, but for those of you who do, can you see any funny behaviour or traits in your dog that seems to be hereditary?

·
Codys mom
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that would be a treat! I should take him up to go visit his dad, but it might turn into a sit-a-thon as both of them deal with other males by sitting on them :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts