Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Fund raising policy change for individuals on GRF?

• Prohibit members starting threads seeking donations for individuals.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • Allow members to continue threads for individuals seeking donations.

Votes: 37 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
If you want to make a donation to a person for a dog, make the check to the vet or ask for the phone number to make a credit card donation to the vet.
That is how I think too, makes perfect sense. My vets office has a legacy fund set up in honor of their Golden mascot that had MS and one of their previous vet techs. Clients donate when they can and it goes to help out people in hard times to get their animals the care they need.

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,910 Posts
I don't have a problem with making a donation directly to an Acct. set up at a Vet Clinic at all. However, the most recent request for donations, the money was given directly to a new member and not the Clinic, which raised many questions and a controversy.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I miss interperted the thread. I thought it meant that I ( if I choose to ) could not ask for donations for my area shelters. The one shelter in Park Rapids is having a walkathon and I was thinking about asking if anyone wanted to sponser me. So I chose allow members to post individual donation threads.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Would it be possible to implement something like this?

Keep the donations board open and allow people to post a thread on there, but then lock it so no one can comment. Then people who would like to help can pm the OP and they can figure it out through pm.

·
Administrator
16,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Would it be possible to implement something like this?

Keep the donations board open and allow people to post a thread on there, but then lock it so no one can comment. Then people who would like to help can pm the OP and they can figure it out through pm.
Probably not, this is why. Only Mods can lock a post so if someone posted it the thing would be open for comment until a Mod could get to it. As for Mods posting it, there are some of us that may not want to do it in case a donation request went south and we posted it. So this is has to be a all or none change in the policy.

Yes I do agree that people have been helped by donations, but I am leary of what could happen anymore with this being on an open board. Also this poll was brought out to you members to vote on because this is one of the few things we could not agree on either. So this will end up being the boards decision this time.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
i have to remember and thank the forum members who helped save d.b.cooper several years ago. he was a golden i pulled from a shelter in michigan who sold to class B dealers. he was heartworm positive and i was so devastated, he was about 2 years old and so sweet. mid michigan boxer rescue took him in to their rescue and i raised money to pay for his treatment. he was successfully treated and adopted to a nice family. donations were sent directly to the vet clinic. as for last weekends fiasco, hannah just had surgery to remove a growth and the cost was 450.00. i am unemployed, have 3 other dogs,do not have a new car or an ipad,my cell phone is an old one that doesn't even take pictures(old school),but oddly i had a care credit care. (just a little vent). as i cannot remember who all contributed to d.b.cooper, however thank you again to pg(laura), steve sharlin and karen v.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I still haven't voted on this. I think something needs to be changed, but I don't think this should be stopped altogether.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
My vote is allow. We are all grown ups; we shoudl be able to make up our own mind when facing a donation request. We are all different in what we regard as genuine, plausible, or possibley crooky. Nobody has to give or even answer. When and if I decide to give to anything is my business. If I give, I can decide to make it public on the request thread or keep it private. If I do not give, I can decide to answer the thread or not.

Allowing the request to stay may lead to a life saved or a family fullfilled; it may lead to some money to disappear into the netherworld but in that case, what the heck, it is just money, not blood.

·
Administrator
16,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
To all,

After a 2 week voting time this poll has closed. As you can see in the poll results more of the board membership voted to no longer allow personal donation requests for individuals. So once we have something formal Yung will add it to the FAQ section of GRF board rules.

·
Mac's Dad
848 Posts
Ooooooops

To all,

After a 2 week voting time this poll has closed. As you can see in the poll results more of the board membership voted to no longer allow personal donation requests for individuals. So once we have something formal Yung will add it to the FAQ section of GRF board rules.
:wavey:Rob .... I understand everyone's frustrations at some of the way donations have been handled but ...and this is not to be nasty or attituded but I joined the Forum to be involved with whatever happens here ...I don't need to be directed and mandated like a child if one does not wish to donate or get involved in any fashion ....DON'T but to stop because of a small percentage "85" people out of how many members !!! wow big brother has reached the forum.... not a good thing !!!! :no:

·
Administrator
16,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Everyone please remember that this is a decision the Mod team did not make and we have to go with however the poll results turned out. Had the results went the other way there would be people posting about their unhappiness as well.

I am sorry to all but what is done is done. I wish more members had voted and that is why I left the poll open for 2 weeks.

So as not to have members from both sides of the poll now posting here and creating another hot topic I am going to just close this thread as well.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.