Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
I like your voice saying 'I love your mask'...
but hey! Anyone wanting to see 2500 Goldens all in same place, should come to the National Specialty! Field Trial, Hunt Tests of every level, WC/X, Agility, Obedience, Rally, CCA, Tracking and of course conformation- plus many many vendors! Ocala, FL- OCt 22-31 2021. Join us!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
First off, everyone be cautious if you go. My mom was telling me about the exact same type of thing for Collies in Michigan. Just kind of suspicious to me.

I can’t speak for Kate…

We are talking about somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 dogs. Some on leash, some off. I worry about safety. The smallest disagreement or misunderstanding between dogs and it’s on. It could get real ugly, real quick with 200 dogs running loose. One dog has another dogs ball, one won’t leave another alone…..I could go on all night. They will argue over just about anything, just like children with different colored cups. Even friendly dogs!

Then you have to worry about health. Does anyone have kennel cough? Rabies? Any other contagious disease out there? For people, there’s dog bites, being run over by dogs running around, stepping in poop because if that many dogs are running around, who’s cleaning it up? There’s also them finding something that could potentially hurt them.

I allow my dogs off lead in safe situations. They absolutely love field training, FastCAT, dock diving, agility, obedience, etc. One dog off lead at a time. Or if both dogs are well trained, 2 off lead. They don’t need to meet every dog at an event. Or any dog actually. Socialization is about coexisting in the same area with another dog or person, not in your face play. I love to take my dogs places But only if they are safe.

Not trying to be mean. I hope nobody gets hurt, human or canine.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I like your voice saying 'I love your mask'...
but hey! Anyone wanting to see 2500 Goldens all in same place, should come to the National Specialty! Field Trial, Hunt Tests of every level, WC/X, Agility, Obedience, Rally, CCA, Tracking and of course conformation- plus many many vendors! Ocala, FL- OCt 22-31 2021. Join us!
Now this is a safe way to be around many, many goldens! Unfortunately, we won’t be going this year. We definitely plan to go to next years though.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts