Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Old Guy
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If anyone is planning to be in Michigan near the end of August, here is a fun event you might want to think about attending. Log into Facebook There's really no other feeling like being surrounded by hundreds of Goldens everywhere you turn. This year may be the year it breaks 200 Goldens... I sure hope so. There is a $5 parking fee that allows the promoters of the event to cover costs (tents, porta-potties, loudspeakers, prizes, stuff like that) while also keeping a tab on predicting attendance (car-wise)... which is important since there is only limited parking available on-site. If I remember correctly it seems as though the limit is either 200 or 250 cars. As in past years the attendance number really begins to rise the closer we get to the event date so if you're planning on going you should probably get a parking ticket soon. Hope to see some of you there...

·
Kate
22,463 Posts
So.... what's the point of going? Just curious.

IE - Will there be vendors, what do people plan to do specifically when they get there?

·
Old Guy
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well if its like past years your dogs have access to a cattle pond without the cattle (never been any cattle)... you mingle with other Golden owners, you get to mingle with the Goldens (some of which are on leash and many are off). There is approx 8 acres much of which is grassy area surrounded by a corn field (it will become a corn maze in the fall) and an orchard on one side so the dogs will have lots of room to play with each other without getting anywhere near a road, however more than half the free running dogs I bet will likely be in and out of the pond at any given time. If you've ever been to a well attended dog park you've no doubt experienced just how friendly and easy most dog people are to talk to... contrast that to what people are like in a normal park setting without dogs. Golden people are even more friendly and the opening topic is always going to be the dogs... that's the obvious common interest linking us all... so there you have the reasons to go... its a dog friendly social event. I've always found any of the Golden gatherings (much smaller local gatherings) to be amazing because I like to crouch down to their level where immediately I become engulfed in happy wagging Goldens... I call this "swimming in a sea of Golden Retrievers", there's nothing else like it. Based upon past years (only been two so far) there will be a vendor or two or three (food and T-shirts) and free ice cream for the dogs, likely the local press will visit with cameras and there will be announcements and prizes... stuff like that. Also there is a rinse station if needed... (it can be a wash station if you bring shampoo... just saying, the pond can get a little mucky with over a hundred Goldens splashing about and retrieving).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well if its like past years your dogs have access to a cattle pond without the cattle (never been any cattle)... you mingle with other Golden owners, you get to mingle with the Goldens (some of which are on leash and many are off). There is approx 8 acres much of which is grassy area surrounded by a corn field (it will become a corn maze in the fall) and an orchard on one side so the dogs will have lots of room to play with each other without getting anywhere near a road, however more than half the free running dogs I bet will likely be in and out of the pond at any given time. If you've ever been to a well attended dog park you've no doubt experienced just how friendly and easy most dog people are to talk to... contrast that to what people are like in a normal park setting without dogs. Golden people are even more friendly and the opening topic is always going to be the dogs... that's the obvious common interest linking us all... so there you have the reasons to go... its a dog friendly social event. I've always found any of the Golden gatherings (much smaller local gatherings) to be amazing because I like to crouch down to their level where immediately I become engulfed in happy wagging Goldens... I call this "swimming in a sea of Golden Retrievers", there's nothing else like it. Based upon past years (only been two so far) there will be a vendor or two or three (food and T-shirts) and free ice cream for the dogs, likely the local press will visit with cameras and there will be announcements and prizes... stuff like that. Also there is a rinse station if needed... (its can be a wash station if you bring shampoo... just saying, the pond can get a little mucky with over a hundred Goldens splashing about and retrieving).
This sounds like so much fun! Where I live there aren’t too many places to take a dog swimming (I’m not too far from the ocean, but the amount of beaches that allow dogs is very limited) so I wouldn’t miss out on that pond if there was something like this in my area.

·
Old Guy
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kate... I would say that is likely true... certain types of people and dogs enjoy dog parks and have a wonderful time socializing... if one doesn't like dog parks, I would think it quite likely they would not enjoy an event of this type.

·
Kate
22,463 Posts
Definitely sounds like a horrible idea. There’s no way I would take my dogs!
Right?

Getting together for an impromptu We are Golden parade in places like Frankenmuth or Mackinac Island where foot traffic is pretty safe + all dogs on leash would be a lot more fun and less concerning. :)

You guys do something like that and a lot of us who are super protective of our babies might join in.

·
Old Guy
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Definitely sounds like a horrible idea. There’s no way I would take my dogs!
Too bad but I'll admit its not for everyone. However its actually been a lot of fun for those that have attended in the past. Proof of fun? watch this Log into Facebook from last year or this <iframe width="1041" height="586" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> from the year before. It all looks like great fun to me... though I'm sensing a lot of negativity here, which feels strange coming from Golden owners... our Goldens teach us to 'wag more and bark less'. There are tons of more videos and pictures but I just grabbed the first ones I could find... better yet go visit the facebook group pages and scroll through the photos of get togethers of past and judge for yourself if you think this is something you might enjoy. I'm only posting this for those who think it would be fun and bring a smile to the faces... the rest need not apply as they say.

BTW, the second video was mine (that's me talking and Cooper is the white Golden wanting to water retrieve some more)... this was during the winding down phase and many of the Goldens splashing in the pond retrieving had exited to get some free ice cream (its what you see everyone feeding their Goldens near the truck and the tent and on the hills and those waiting in line for... notice how many of the dogs are still wet). The guy at the very end was a photographer from the local paper... he was a funny guy. These are the memories that bond you to your dog long after the event is over.

·
Old Guy
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Right?

Getting together for an impromptu We are Golden parade in places like Frankenmuth or Mackinac Island where foot traffic is pretty safe + all dogs on leash would be a lot more fun and less concerning. :)

You guys do something like that and a lot of us who are super protective of our babies might join in.
Don't know where you're from but if you are remotely close to Traverse City consider monitoring the group and look for activities you think you might enjoy... for instance they organize a leashed walk through downtown TC during the Christmas season and march in parades leashed. Other activities are often left up to the owner to decide leashed or unleashed... after all who would know their dog better than the owner? I do daily activities with my dogs and rarely do they require a leash... and its the reason they don't require a leash... get how this works?

·
Old Guy
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This sounds like so much fun! Where I live there aren’t too many places to take a dog swimming (I’m not too far from the ocean, but the amount of beaches that allow dogs is very limited) so I wouldn’t miss out on that pond if there was something like this in my area.
I know, don't get me started on the lack of dog beaches... Beaches are god's gift to all of nature's creatures, don't you think? Why are some people allowed to own them or restrict what can be allowed onto it? I see used baby diapers left on the beach but no signs saying "NO BABIES ALLOWED ON THE BEACH" and broken plastic toys and empty beer cans and people peeing when they think no one can see them. According to statistics every third household on average has at least one dog (that's 30% of the tax paying population) and yet less than .001% of publicly supported beach front is legally accessible to dogs owners with their dogs. Grrrr.... I feel like biting someone.

·
Kate
22,463 Posts
Other activities are often left up to the owner to decide leashed or unleashed... after all who would know their dog better than the owner? I do daily activities with my dogs and rarely do they require a leash... and its the reason they don't require a leash... get how this works?
Sure, owners should be the ones to decide if their dogs are leashed or unleashed because they they know their dogs better than anyone else.

🦄 <= And these exist. :)

·
Old Guy
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sure, owners should be the ones to decide if their dogs are leashed or unleashed because they they know their dogs better than anyone else.

🦄 <= And these exist. :)
sigh... Note to myself... wag more, bark less. Choose for yourself, if it scares you its best you don't participate. End.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Too bad but I'll admit its not for everyone. However its actually been a lot of fun for those that have attended in the past. Proof of fun? watch this Log into Facebook from last year or this <iframe width="1041" height="586" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> from the year before. It all looks like great fun to me... though I'm sensing a lot of negativity here, which feels strange coming from Golden owners... our Goldens teach us to 'wag more and bark less'. There are tons of more videos and pictures but I just grabbed the first ones I could find... better yet go visit the facebook group pages and scroll through the photos of get togethers of past and judge for yourself if you think this is something you might enjoy. I'm only posting this for those who think it would be fun and bring a smile to the faces... the rest need not apply as they say.

BTW, the second video was mine (that's me talking and Cooper is the white Golden wanting to water retrieve some more)... this was during the winding down phase and many of the Goldens splashing in the pond retrieving had exited to get some free ice cream (its what you see everyone feeding their Goldens near the truck and the tent and on the hills and those waiting in line for... notice how many of the dogs are still wet). The guy at the very end was a photographer from the local paper... he was a funny guy. These are the memories that bond you to your dog long after the event is over.
As long as there’s off lead dogs I don’t know, my dogs wouldn’t be there. My dogs and I bond over training and going on our trial weekends. We tend to stay away from off lead chaos.

·
Old Guy
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As long as there’s off lead dogs I don’t know, my dogs wouldn’t be there. My dogs and I bond over training and going on our trial weekends. We tend to stay away from off lead chaos.
Did you actually view the videos? Where some see chaos, I venture others see fun... for both dogs and owners. We are each free to choose which is which and apparently you find it frightening... its your prerogative. You've made it crystal clear this type of event is not for you... sigh. End.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Did you actually view the videos? Where some see chaos, I venture others see fun... for both dogs and owners. We are each free to choose which is which and apparently you find it frightening... its your prerogative. You've made it crystal clear this type of event is not for you... sigh. End.
Frightening isn’t exactly the word I would use.…. You are correct, it’s not the type of event I would enjoy. Its exactly the kind of thing we warn students to stay away from.

·
Old Guy
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Frightening isn’t exactly the word I would use.…. You are correct, it’s not the type of event I would enjoy. Its exactly the kind of thing we warn students to stay away from.
Okay this is getting ridiculous... You obviously have a different philosophy on how to treat dogs, that's not surprising, we all think differently from each other as life would be boring otherwise... what perplexes me is why do you and Kate persist in putting down this event, by all accounts you should be ignoring this thread since you obviously disagree with the way the event is conducted and claim to have no interest in attending. The whole purpose of starting this thread was to make this event known to those who find socializing fun and can well make up their own minds for themselves. We don't need you telling us what behaviors you find acceptable. This posting under the forum titled Golden Retriever Events is meant to be informational for those who live in Michigan and would like to attend a Golden Retriever Event... it doesn't need your endorsement. You two obviously dislike the whole idea but rather than ignoring and walking away as would be the normal thing to do for someone not interested, you two insist on inserting yourselves and your beliefs on dog socialization. We get it, you don't enjoy dog parks, nor having dogs off-leash so, why comment at all? Here's a constructive idea for you: Why not start your very own thread about why no one should attend any dog venues that will possibly have a dog off-leash... your comments would be appropriate there, not here. I hope this is not considered typical for responses to anyone who posts on this forum... you're going to drive people away... which probably explains why so many have moved away from forums and onto facebook groups. Thanks for ruining a perfectly reasonable thread. Comment all you want, I'm outta here.

·
Kate
22,463 Posts
This posting under the heading of Golden Retriever Events is meant to be informational for those who live in Michigan and would like to attend a Golden Retriever Event... it doesn't need your endorsement.
OK, if I wanted to be mean - I probably would have more to say about that mud puddle that the dogs are swimming in. ;)

You posted on multiple threads a mysterious link suggesting people check it out - without providing any information.

I personally didn't click on the link until after it was clear others did - because I thought it was spam or buggy.

Then after I clicked the link - I was trying to figure out what the draw was intended to be - since it was unclear.

You explained you are looking to have 200 goldens show up and be off leash - and it does not sound like there is any screening process to weed out people with aggressive dogs. And your response when questioned is that people know their own dogs and can decide if they should be on leash or off. Which is irresponsible and reckless, btw. But have fun. :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,288 Posts
A reminder all- please be respectful to one another and keep the Forum Rules in mind when making posts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts