Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my puppy Beau from a woman with two litters one AkC one not. Beau is not registered but she assured me he was full blood golden. He seems to have a long nose but I have noticed a some goldens do?!? Here is a picture of him he is almost 4 months old!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! He is such a sweetheart! He's currently going through a horrible biting phase! I know that's normal but I cannot wait for him to settle down a little:) do you have any idea why some have longer snouts?

·
Human to Maximus
219 Posts
Thanks! He is such a sweetheart! He's currently going through a horrible biting phase! I know that's normal but I cannot wait for him to settle down a little:) do you have any idea why some have longer snouts?
Ours look to be about the same age. :) Maximus was born April 12th, and also wants to play bite-at-the-hands all the time too! I got him a Himalayan chew treat, and he loved it. It kept him occupied and not trying to bite at me. But they do pick up on "no biting" very fast.

To me, it doesn't look like your Beau has that long of a snout, but that could be because I think mine looks the same way too. Might be just the growing process? We got Maximus at 8 weeks, and it seemed all of a sudden he was all legs and snout! But I think he is just going to be a big boy and will grow into them. Here's a pic of mine to compare if you want. Aren't they fun!?

Welcome (from another newbie) to the forum! :wave:

Attachments

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I think it's tough at that age to tell what they'll end up like. Bentley went through so many stages I lost count. At one point I thought he looked like a giraffe, another point an elephant (his ears got so long they hung in the water bowl) another point he was like a gazelle.

One day I woke up and he looked like a Golden Retriever YAY!!! :) Hang in there, every stage is cute but it goes very, very quickly. Take lots of pictures, it's fun going back and seeing all the different stages.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Beau lives up to his name--he's very handsome! Looks purebred to me, and his nose doesn't look longer than many I've seen.

If you search on here for "bite inhibition" or "biting" you'll find lots of good info. Goldens are very mouthy...they explore the world with their mouths and teeth,

Welcome to GRF!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the advice! I have bought several chew toys I will defiantly look into a few more you mentioned! He recently took out his chewing on my leather car seats:( I have always had cockers/ cavaliers prior to Beau and was not watching him enough in the car. This is our first golden and we look forward to making lots of good memories with him!

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Something they enjoy that's cheap, I tied a knot in a washcloth, wet it then froze it. He would sit for long periods chewing on that. It's also good when he's teething.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looks all golden to me! When Reese was a pup she looked really similar. They are not the "show type" goldens with longer, white hair & shorter legs. They are red, lean, tall & have longer snouts. We get asked regularly if Reese is a setter.. People just can't tell the difference. Here is a pic of Reese at 6 months with her cousin Coco, looks similar to your pup.

and now -

1 - 11 of 11 Posts