Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want veggies and fruits do you let your puppy or dog have? I was thinking of giving him some carrots and apples (i read those 2 off a book), but are any veggies ok for them to eat, like cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, sugar snap peas? What about fruits? can they eat oranges, pears, grapes (seedless), watermelon, cantalopes, melons, etc?

·
Registered
414 Posts
We feed Clancy most Veggies and Fruit, with exceptions.

Grapes and Onions can be poisonous. Grapes especially. Never give a dog grapes. Corn Cobs and Apple cores (seeds I think) are also dangerous.

Most veggies should be lightly cooked in order to get the nutrition from them.

Somewhere I had a link to poisonous foods for dogs. I will try to find it.

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
Yes, I've read it in several places that grapes can trigger kidney problems in dogs (so I would assume the same goes for raisins) but I've never seen any evidence that this is so and no one has specified the chemical compound(s) responsible for kidney failure... so, is this myth or fact... I don't know but just to be on the safe side we don't give Sidney grapes.

Onions... "Pieces of raw onion, cooked onion or even onion powder can cause damage to red blood cells, which could result in anemia. An onion-poisoned dog will become lethargic, develop breathing difficulties and will have pale gums (check around the teeth). Fortunately, the toxins will pass through the dog's system, but until then, he or she may need a blood transfusion."... this is an excerpt from a website that looks pretty darn official. I would assume this would apply to others in the onion family... example, I know daffodil bulbs and alliums are related to onions and are also considered toxic to dogs but what about garlic? 'They' say its very good for dogs but it is also related to the onion... so, go figure. Bottomline... onions NO! garlic? you're on your own there.

Another excerpt... "Macadamia nuts can cause muscular weakness and tremors in dogs."... besides, do you know how expensive Macadamia nuts are? "They are like... 25 cents a piece.";) ...taken from a Seinfeld episode.

Dogs do not have the appropriate enzymes to breakdown cellulose (the cell wall material in plants that trap all the nutritional goodies), so if you want your dog to get the greatest benefit from plant foods, you'll either have to cook them or run them through a food processor or blender or juicer (to break open a large enough number of cells to make their contents available to the dog's digestive system).

And just remember, members of the cabbage family, like broccoli and cauliflower can cause the dreaded 'doggie farts'... and boy can one of those things clear a room out pretty quick! So be careful there...

As a final note... I've always noticed that dogs seem to be particularly fond of tomatoes (must be the acidity) anyway, just remember to run them through a blender first.
...Bon Appetit!

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
Tracey,

Let me tell you about my watermelon experience......

I was slicing some watermelon and dropped a large piece on the floor. Holly ran over and scarfed it up before I could yell no. All was fine until my husband and I went out to dinner a few hours later. We can home to the BIGGEST case of the dog runs I have ever seen! She suffered for a couple of days after that....poor girl:(

She gets carrots and occasionally eats a piece of orange or banana....no more watermelon for her!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Tracey, I feed my three goldens on lots of fruit and vegies and its the best thing I have done.:wavey: Have never fed them tomatoes thou and recently was told that they are dangerous. Large quantities of broccoli could be dangerous as it causes broccoli toxicity but can be used as long as it does not make up more than 10% of their diet. Raisins and grapes are dangerous too. Macadamia nuts cause paralysis. My 5yr old used to love getting them off the ground and playing with them then munching them up until we thought he had a tick, he could not get his back end up off the ground. Try this site and see if it helps you www.vetinfo.com I found it very helpful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
monomer said:
Yes, I've read it in several places that grapes can trigger kidney problems in dogs (so I would assume the same goes for raisins) but I've never seen any evidence that this is so and no one has specified the chemical compound(s) responsible for kidney failure... so, is this myth or fact... I don't know but just to be on the safe side we don't give Sidney grapes.
I asked the vet about grapes this past summer; and he did say that those could cause kidney failure.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
When I start to peel or chop Lucky runs over, laying at my feet trying to not look like he's begging.

So this is what I know so far about him. Potato slices are great fun to flip and throw but he won't eat them. He will beg for them though. He'll spend about 10 min per slice playing. And then come for another.

He'll play with lettece and broccoli but eventully will start gnawing on them. Sometimes there are a few shreds left...sometimes not. Tomato slices are scarfed up quickly. Apple slices are gently picked up, taken away and slowly gnawed, but he leaves the skin.

I've given him cooked peas and he just LOVED those. I'm glad I never tried the onion...and I'm glad to now know about the effects of onion and onion powder. He likes corn...but I always see them later ...you know what I mean...so he doesn't get anymore of that.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
How about cranberrys? We eat a lot of Crasins (dried cranberries,like raisins) and Sam LOVES them. When I open a bag he will harass me until I give him one.He takes it over to the corner and eats it real slow,then he comes back for more.I only give him 2 or 3 a night,but I don't want to hurt him.
Shane

·
Reyna 1997 to 2004
2,720 Posts
Brandy will do anything for a carrot. But I give her tiny pieces because they don't stay down otherwise. She also goes nuts over bananas.

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
After reading someone elses posts about bananas and apples, we went an bought a few of each. Samson loved both. Apples were great fun for the whole family, because he liked so much, we could toss from across the room and he couldn't miss them. He isn't as good with any other kind of treat.

I bought a small bag of carrots, but my wife wouldn't let me give him them, because she was worried about him choking on them. Seems my mom told my wife that I almost choked on a small piece of carrot when I was a baby, so that makes my wife nervous.

Rick

·
3 goldens
12,119 Posts
Since i h ave read about giving dogs cranberry pills for kidney/bladder problems, i would not think eating dried ones woudl hurt.

My babies get canned (unslated) green beans and carrots along with cooked meat or canned or fresh baked fish almost every night. Sometimes i will make a "stew" using meat, rice and a box of peas & carrots and mix it with kibble at night. They love that.

My old irish setter loved fruits and veggies better than meat. i actually gave up on having a little garden because he would eat all the tomates and all the squash. He LOVED cantaloup and watermelon, bananas, strawberries, etc. He alsoi had a severe sweet tooth, which we ignored until he was diagnosed with bone cancer and just a very,very short time--which he managed to turn into exactly 10 weeks. During that 10 weeks, whatever we had for dessert, he had--strawberry shortcake, banana split, chocolate cake/vanilla ice cream, lemon pie, whatever.

·
Ron
103 Posts
We feed our dogs the BARF diet for their staple, but for treats, we give them very ripe Bananas, and blueberries,. They love it

3 goldens, I would do the same thing if my dog had a short time. They would get ANYTHING they wanted. Good for you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our goldens LOVE banannas. But our male won't eat them if they get to ripe he likes them almost green. He's a picky one and the female eats anything. but when i say bannana they go crazy

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Kody's favorite would be apples, in the fall you have to watch him because if you don't he will try to eat as many apples from under the apple tree as he can, Abby and Bianka are the same way.

Banana's would be second on the list for fruits.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Mine eat carrots (raw & cooked), green beans (cooked), watermelon, lettuce, potatoes (raw & cooked). Buffy especially loves raw potatoes. You can't peel them fast enough for her. She'll even eat the peelings.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would agree about the gas-inducing veggies like broccoli and cauliflower. I know they don't have good effects on humans, so I can't imagine they are pleasant in dogs!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Our kids eat carrots, green beans, blueberries, pumpkin,small pieces of tomato, lettuce(the crunchy part). They love it. They are on a raw diet and there are veggies and fruit in the patties they eat too. YUM they say. :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This is SO foreign to read!!!

My golden is like a 5 year old kid, knows what's good for him, and spits it right out with any fruit or vegetable!!!

This is too funny seeing what they will eat for healthier foods!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts