Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have found something that keeps Zach occupied. I freeze peanut butter inside his Kong and he will lick at it forever. He loves it and it provides us a little "calm" time.

How often can we give him this treat?

Also...anyone know of any other great ideas (I got the PB one from here!) that would keep in entertained like this?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
This thread has several ideas : http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=31096&highlight=frozen+kong

Personally, I use only small quantities of peanut butter. While they love their PB, I find it really high in calories and fat to be given on a regular basis in big quantities.

My summer "diet" Kongs are made with cooked green beans, diluted chicken broth, a little pure canned pumpkin and a little unsweetened organic apple sauce... all that topped with a dollop of PB and frozen.

In winter, to provide more calories when it is colder, I do a mix of canned food, kibble and apple sauce.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sunnie loves the combo of unsweetened organic apple sauce, unsweetened no salt added mashed sweet pots. topped with a dollop of PB. This is her favorite combo so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Karma LOVES ice cubes...it didn't take her long at all to figure out the sound of the freezer opening...she's there every time. :)
LOL, my son started giving Lady ice cubes one summer, and I could not believe how she loved them!!! and I tell yeah, so entertaining to watch them chase it threw the house! And yes, even though its kinda messy, (although only water) the entertainment factor outweigh's the water mess! :p:

·
Mom to Geddy and Sawyer!!
6,059 Posts
Yup... Geddy & Sawyer both love ice cubes. I just don't give a lot (1-2 at one time) b/c I had read a story on here about a lady who put ice cubes in her dogs water and it ended up getting bloat b/c it ate them all too quickly and it was soo cold etc. But they sure are cute to watch them enjoying them.

Oh, I just thought of another... you can take yogurt and water and mix it 50/50 and then freeze that in ice cube trays... good for them and cold just the way they like em!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yup... Geddy & Sawyer both love ice cubes. I just don't give a lot (1-2 at one time) b/c I had read a story on here about a lady who put ice cubes in her dogs water and it ended up getting bloat b/c it ate them all too quickly and it was soo cold etc. But they sure are cute to watch them enjoying them.

Oh, I just thought of another... you can take yogurt and water and mix it 50/50 and then freeze that in ice cube trays... good for them and cold just the way they like em!!

Oh no, whats bloat???

·
Mom to Geddy and Sawyer!!
6,059 Posts

·
Allie's Mom
256 Posts
For the Kongs I've tried putting some mashed up bananas in there as an alternative to peanut butter. I read you can put yogurt in there too but I haven't tried.

·
Laura
688 Posts
I have a question - besides the fat content, Is peanut butter good or bad for dogs? For years I have been hearing both, so I've always stay away from it. However, I was thinking of using it in my puppy's kong.

Please share your knowledge

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I have a question - besides the fat content, Is peanut butter good or bad for dogs? For years I have been hearing both, so I've always stay away from it. However, I was thinking of using it in my puppy's kong.

Please share your knowledge

Thank you!
Blush gets peanut butter several days a week. it is a safe, gluten-free treat that she enjoys. we cut her meals by 1/4 cup on the days she gets the PB.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What size kongs do your puppies use and when you stuff them do you stuff them all the way?? Jonesy loved PB in his kong but I have yet to stuff it all the way full - I just put a blob inside & smear the end. He loves it until the blob falls loose into the inside of the kong, then he gives up on it. I have a large puppy kong and I've been hesitant to fill it completely full because I thought that might be too much PB for him.

If you do stuff the full inside of the kong does your puppy manage to get everything out??

Sue

·
Registered
780 Posts
You can put anything that will fit inside a kong. Mine never have any trouble cleaning them out, even if they are stuffed tight the whole way. As far as peanut butter goes, it is high in fat and calories which may be a problem if you have an overweight dog. But if you aren't watching weight, any treats aren't a problem. It is just junk food for them anyways, not their main diet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My pup loved cottage cheese mixed with her kibble and stuffed in the kong. Cream cheese smeared on the inside and outside was also a big hit. She wasn't always able to get it all out, so sometimes I'd take it from her and shake it toward the opening.

Here's a website with a ton of great combinations: http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/02/dog_recipes_for_kong_chew_toys.php

The simplest, I think, is to mix kibble with some chicken broth and freeze it inside the kong. Then you can just subtract whatever kibble you used from the pup's usual feeding.

Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here are a few of the recipes from that site. The site cautions that while it's fine to give dogs something straight from the freezer, it's never OK to give something right out of the microwave that could burn them. Also, you have to account for the calories you're offering in the kong so they don't become overweight.

CHEESY ELVIS: Combine a ripe banana, 3 spoonfuls of peanut butter, and a slice of cheese. Mix until blended well. Fill the Kong and freeze.

MONSTER MASH: Instant mashed potatoes (without the salt) -- or leftover mashed potatoes from dinner -- mixed with crushed dog biscuits.

DOGGIE OMLET: Combine a scrambled egg, some beef, yogurt, cheese and mashed potatoes all together

FIBER CRUNCH: Combine bran cereal with some peanut butter.

KONGSICLE JERKY POPS: The equivalent of a popsicle... Seal the small hole of the Kong toy with peanut butter. Fill to the rim with water and a pinch of bouillon (or just use chicken broth instead). Place a stick or two of beef jerky inside. Freeze. (This one gets messy in a hurry, so it's recommended only for outdoor use.)

GOOEY CHEERIOS: Combine cheerios and peanut butter. Freeze.

FRUIT KITTY NOODLES: Mix together some dried fruit, cooked pasta, banana and dry cat food.

BANANA YOGURT: Plain yogurt and mashed bananas. (You can also add a little peanut butter or other fruits.) Then freeze it.

PEANUT BUTTER GLUE: Fill Kong 1/3rd full of dog food. Pour in melted peanut butter (after it has cooled from microwaving). Add more dog food, followed by more melted peanut butter until the Kong toy is full. Freeze until solid.

ROCK-HARD KIBBLE: Combine some of your dog's regular food with cream cheese, which acts as a cement, keeping everything inside.

STICKY BREAD: Smear peanut butter on a piece of bread. Fold it over and stuff inside the Kong. Mix together plain yogurt with some fruits or vegetables (carrots, celery) and pour inside. Freeze. The yogurt sticks to the bread holding everything together.

APPLE PIE: Squeeze a small piece of apple into the tiny hole. Fill the Kong with a small amount of plain yogurt. Add a few slices of mashed banana, more apple, yogurt, banana. End with a slice of banana and chunk of peanut butter on the top.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
What size kongs do your puppies use and when you stuff them do you stuff them all the way?? Jonesy loved PB in his kong but I have yet to stuff it all the way full - I just put a blob inside & smear the end. He loves it until the blob falls loose into the inside of the kong, then he gives up on it. I have a large puppy kong and I've been hesitant to fill it completely full because I thought that might be too much PB for him.

If you do stuff the full inside of the kong does your puppy manage to get everything out??

Sue
We keep a bottle brush on hand for scrubbing between each use (we didn't do it once & they started to stink and grow stuff:yuck:)

their normal "mom & dad will be back later" kongs have some of their kibble in the small end, some yogurt on top of that, half a banana shoved in, capped with peanut butter with a treat sticking out. then frozen.

We also have "mom and dad will be back LATE tonight" kongs. those are for when we are gone during dinner. they contain their entire evening meal & their glucosamine pill, I pour a little chicken or beef stock in & freeze.

we have 6 of the classic sized kongs. 4 red ones "our everyday ones", a marbled blue & a marbled pink puppy strength "dinner" ones.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts