Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

My family and I have had Frosty for about six weeks now. She is turning 13 weeks on Sunday. Her behavior has been aggressive and has recently gotten way out of control. She bights us any chance she gets, despite the fact we tether her and put her in timeout every time she does. She relives herself in the house, on the carpet, about 50% of the time, even though we graciously award and applaud her every time she "goes" outside.

Frosty has been to four training classes, and one doggy daycare to get her to interact with other Goldens. She has ignored everything we've tried teaching her, and the worst part, she wakes up at 12:00am, 4:00am, 5:00am and 7:00am almost every morning to go potty, even though we last fed her before 6:00pm, and take her to go potty right before bed. I just can't figure out what my family is doing wrong. When we first picked out Frosty, she was very different than her fellow littermates. She never barked, ran, bit, or anything! We considered naming her "Mellow," but now she is the exact opposite. May "Lil' Devil" would be more suitable. Please give any tips you may have, from previous experience. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'd be making a trip to the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection. Are you using a crate or x-pen in the house? She should not be unsupervised in the house if she is having accidents. When Kea came home, she was under constant supervision. She was either tethered to me by her leash, in her crate, or a little later when she was older, baby gated in the kitchen. At that age, if your puppy has an accident in the house, it is YOUR fault, not hers. She's just a baby. You cannot punish her for going in the house. It won't work. If you catch her in the act, pick her up midstream, go outside, and when she finishes out there, throw a party. Praise, treats, etc.

Is there a facility near you where you could get her enrolled in a six or eight week basic puppy obedience class? I'd recommend a dog club type class over petco or petsmart. Training takes repetition - lots and lots of repetition, and consistency. There should be one primary person in your family who is responsible for the training, and the whole family needs to be consistent with training at this young age.

Puppies can be little landsharks! Providing appropriate chew toys is a must. If she's biting at you, get a toy, redirect, and praise, praise, praise for playing with the toy. There is a big difference between normal puppy behavior and aggression, and a good trainer or training class will help tremendously with helping you work through these issues.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Our dog is almost two years old, and we still call him Weasel on occasion.

I second the recommendation for a vet check for a UTI. Going out four times during the night is a lot for 3 months old.

Are you using treats to train her? If not, try treats. If so, try better treats. Most dogs are food-driven and will work for food. At this age, she should be able to learn Sit, Down, Shake, things like that. Keep on with the toys, she'll eventually get it. Lots of goldens have learned how to grab toys instead of people. I read a quote on the Internet about retrievers, "If nothing is at hand, a hand will do." So true.

She'll start losing her teeth in the next month. Things get much better after that. They switch from bitey to mouthy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts