Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switched to Frontline 4 months ago and saw great improvement over Advantage. However, its still not 100%; Jeffrey still gets the occasional bite on the chest area (1-2/wk). I suspect he gets them from pushing through shrubbery/tall grass on our walks. Its fairly consistent, so I don't believe its because the medicine loses its effect towards the end of a cycle. Doesn't seem to bother him and I only find the scabs, but I'd still like to treat for it (as opposed to modifying his behavior). He weighs in at 87lbs, so I'm using the the purple (45-88lbs). He's quite healthy and we're very active.
The question is, how significant are the Frontline weight limits? Will bumping up to red (89-132lbs) help, or is there a significant risk with the greater dose?
I asked the Vet, who said she'd need to call Frontline (Merial). I called, but it was after hours, so I thought I'd ask you folks for some input.

thanks in advance

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
The buy the red box and split the dose between 2 goldens who are 63 and 65 pounds and I know one has gotten more than the other before, but have never had fleas.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Great question but I'd be afraid to give you an answer. I agree with your vet to contact the manufacturer. I use Frontline also but I am scared to death of the stuff and wash my hands five times after applying it then for a couple of weeks I wash my hands after petting the pups.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
From my understanding the fleas will still bite the dog after they've been treated with the Frontline and then the flea/tick dies after the bite. It's not a repellent, but more of a poison.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I hate having to use that stuff but we've had a couple of bad flea years here. Never found any on the dogs but the vet found some flea dirt on the cat. I don't use it year round.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
I have never had a flea leave a scab, and rarely a tick unless I have pulled it off. Are you sure the scabs aren't caused by the brush itself?

And I would not go to the next level for Frontline or Advantix without checking with the manufacturer or my vet. Too much for their weight could possibly cause some health issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments.
The scabs were ID'd as flea bites by my Vet, so I have to rely on her knowledge. I'll have to be more vigilant and look for any wounds that could indicate he's being poked by twigs, etc.
Spoke to a Tech at Frontline who stated the medicine only works on contact, and is not a repellant. As such, the occasional flea can make a bite before they die. So no real gain to bumping up to red. As far as any risk, its pretty much as I originally thought: It really depends on the animals health, activity, metabolism, etc. So overall, not worth it, I'll stick to purple.

thanks again

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a Frontline question...

Flea season is just about over here in OH. I treated Hank with Frontline on 9/12. On his last vet visit 10/15 I bought another box. He got his last round of shots plus heartworm meds that day so I wanted to hold off on the Frontline. I was reading the box and it states that it works for up to 3 months. I'm thinking about not using it anymore this year. We haven't seen any fleas Hank or the cat. Thoughts?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a Frontline question...

Flea season is just about over here in OH. I treated Hank with Frontline on 9/12. On his last vet visit 10/15 I bought another box. He got his last round of shots plus heartworm meds that day so I wanted to hold off on the Frontline. I was reading the box and it states that it works for up to 3 months. I'm thinking about not using it anymore this year. We have seen any fleas Hank or the cat. Thoughts?
It works for fleas every 3 months, but for it to work for ticks, it needs to be applied every month. Fleas don't worry me like ticks do. I use Frontline for ticks, so I would give him another dose right away. However, I don't know what your area is like for ticks.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
It works for fleas every 3 months, but for it to work for ticks, it needs to be applied every month. Fleas don't worry me like ticks do. I use Frontline for ticks, so I would give him another dose right away. However, I don't know what your area is like for ticks.
I've never found a tick on any of my dogs or cat in the 12 years we've lived here which surprises me since we're in a wooded area. I just don't feel comfortable putting all these chemicals on my pets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts