Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure which forum section to put this one in, so I'll just stick it here.

Has anyone heard of or used Frontline spray? I never knew it existed. I was just wondering if it'd be a nice extra touch especially for Dillon because of his severe flea bite allergy. I give mine both monthly Sentinel (HW + flea birth control) and also Bug Off Garlic daily, but wonder if Dillon might benefit from the extra flea protection as we get into our warmer buggier months.

K9 Advantix and Frontline topicals didn't seem to work too well for Sam as a puppy so I don't use those. As I understand it, the active ingredient in the Frontline spray is different from the monthly topical.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I have never heard of that but Im interested in hearing about it.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm reading that it's to be sprayed on once a month, but many reviews say they spray it on once every 2 or 3 months and find it to be very effective. I just wonder if it can be harmful especially since I have 2 dogs who like to chew on eachother often. lol

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know, many reviews said their vets recommend it so I'm assuming they sell it usually. I would imagine it would be MUCH cheaper buying it online somewhere though, as is the case with most flea products.

·
8,164 Posts
You are right...Im sure its cheaper online somewhere. Im going to look into it.

·
8,164 Posts
ok it looks like its just an quick kill for exisitng fleas..FRONTLINE Spray - Quick Elimination of Existing Flea and Tick Infestations Recommended for:
• Severe existing flea and tick infestations
• Initial treatment of flea allergy dermatitis (FAD)• Multi-pet households• Often used by your veterinarian, in clinic, for quick treatmentFRONTLINE Spray can be used on puppies and kittens 8 weeks of age or older and provides a quick and effective way of eliminating large flea and tick infestations already on your animal. FRONTLINE Spray is ideal for reducing and controlling fleas and ticks in multi-pet households.
With severe infestations, many vet clinics will apply fast-acting FRONTLINE Spray to your pet right in the clinic and then recommend at-home follow-up with the long-lasting control of FRONTLINE Plus or FRONTLINE Top Spot®.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I seen it in the doctor Foster....magazine.I'l look.
Ok,here it is : Use frontline spray to kill large flea and tick infestations already on you animal

·
Registered
16,391 Posts
I never heard of a frontline pill? Just the topical . . .

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I used to use it but you have to make sure that you wear the rubber gloves. Because one time that i didnt, it absorbed in my skin or I inhaled some and was very sick the next day. Since then I havent ever used it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Flea sprays are usually used to deal quickly with an infested dog that comes into a clinic/rescue/groomer to control spread. It is then fallowed up with bathing and regular topical treatments. If you want to add a topical treatment to what you are already using I would use the regular frontline drops. After checking with your vet to make sure its safe to use with your regular medication.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
This is the only flea product I've ever used on the girls and I ~knock wood~ have NEVER had a flea problem. I've always felt the spray repels fleas while the topical, not so much. My vet swears by it and not the spot treatment, too.
It doesn't repel ticks as well as fleas, but if they do attach, they're dead in 12 hours. Don't apply within 3 days after a bath and don't bathe for 3 days after application (the dog, that is, lol). Mine hate the smell so once they know they're getting sprayed, will allow me to drape a towel over their faces, then get the super zoomies when I'm done.

And wear gloves....:)

·
8,164 Posts
Do you spray it on once a month Moverking? You just spray it on the hair once a month and thats it?? Just along the back or all over? What happens if they lick themselves? I may not understand how you do it exactly....

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Do you spray it on once a month Moverking? You just spray it on the hair once a month and thats it?? Just along the back or all over? What happens if they lick themselves? I may not understand how you do it exactly....
Yes, the can says every 30 days (but I'll stretch it to 45 at times). Run your hand against the fur so the skin is more exposed. I'll spray a line down their backs, down each side and once up the belly, a tail spritz, a light neck spritz then I'll spray it on a paper towel and wipe ears in and out and down their leg feathers(not the front of the legs or paws).
Mine will not lick anything but their feet for days after I spray....by then they've jumped in the pool or the river. I try to keep them dry for the 3 days....but sometimes they'll only have 24 hours of dry-time:uhoh:
It really doesn't have a lasting smell, after dry I can't smell it. And doesn't affect the texture of their coat either. You can also use it on your kitties!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts