Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone uses Frontline throughout the year or for just half the year. We live on Long Island in NY and I hate giving the dogs needless meds but know they need this in the summer time here but feel that in the wintertime it isn't necessary. I usually start giving it to them April 1st and they get their last dose October1st. I was talking to a friend that gives it year round here but I just assumed since it was for fleas and ticks that they died during the cold months. Am I wrong? I give the heartgaurd year round but not the frontline.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I live in CT, right across the sound from you, and I've found a tick in February. There was snow on the ground.

I stretch out Frontline doses over the winter, but in this part of the northeast, it routinely warms up enough in the winter for them to be at least a little active. It's a huge bummer.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I have also seen ticks on pets that come into the vet during snowstorms. Flea season is rough up until at least November, so I would continue to use it.

·
Kate
21,229 Posts
I still am creeped out by all the bugs you guys have out east. o_O

I have our guy on Sentinel alone. We have no flea problems and ticks weren't that bad this year. Last year at this time I'd picked off a handful over the course of summer. This summer I haven't seen any.

Even mosquitoes have been unnoticable for the last couple weeks.

We just have one more month's coverage and then we wait until spring.

About the only thing I'm having a problem with right now are spiders. Giant ambush spiders that go scampering insanely fast towards you and your chair. Or go darting across your chest while you are trying to sleep. Or dangle from the ceiling right by your head.... o_O!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I still am creeped out by all the bugs you guys have out east. o_O
Seriously. I set a record last fall with sixty ticks off of two dogs. Between Frontline and vigilance, we had no embedded ones, though. I love New England, but ticks and TBDs are a scary problem.

Though I'm not sure I'd trade you for attack spiders, though. Our spiders are typically quite timid, and the truly dangerous ones are very rare.

PS - Connecticut's main export is poison ivy, so there's another downside to living around here. ;)

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
I use it as scheduled during the spring, summer and early fall ending around Nov 1. Then I might not give them a dose every other month until spring. One flea and your dog would end up to a lot more chemicals then a monthly frontline. My yard is very controlled but my sister has a large yard. She can't miss a dose or her dogs would have a problem. We also like to take our dogs on long walks though trails in the fall when the bug population is down. Though the ticks seem to be waiting for us. Many people around here have been complaining that the fleas are real bad this year.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I live in Northern Illinois and use Frontline Plus year round because we track almost year round and I'm concerned about ticks. However, during the winter months I will apply it more like every 6 weeks instead of once a month.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I think it depends on where you live and how much time you spend outdoors. As others have said, you may encounter ticks and/or fleas any time it warms up above freezing. I've found them on me in February and November. Given your location, if you walk your dog in areas with trees or grass, I'd continue to treat year around.

·
Kate
21,229 Posts
I think it depends on where you live and how much time you spend outdoors. As others have said, you may encounter ticks and/or fleas any time it warms up above freezing. I've found them on me in February and November. Given your location, if you walk your dog in areas with trees or grass, I'd continue to treat year around.
I still think you guys are completely bug-ridden out there. :no::yuck:

We go hiking every weekend at the area parks.

We frequently go off the path to trek through the woods.

We live in the woods and have a wooded yard.

We have a frequently unmowed yard (last week we finally hired somebody to mow it and I spent the weekend quibbling about how darn short he cut it - it looked like he gave our lawn a crew cut compared to the plush green longish lawn we usually have).

We have an indoor outdoor cat.

The dogs spend a lot of time wading through the above mentioned grass + marking every bush, shrub, grass clump on the property.

My dude goes out to the barn with me and I even take him out into the pasture with me when retrieving horses.

My guy also goes to dog classes, petstores, dog events, etc with me.

My guy is not on any actual flea stuff other than Sentinel (which just aborts flea babies).

The last tick I saw was last summer. They apparently like to hobnob in my garden.

And the last flea I've ever seen was on our cat when I first brought him home a few years back. And that flea and all its buddies died a very quick death in the bathtub.

See, this is why I put Michigan on the Ideal/Perfect place to live thread. It's not just because I was born here... :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I live in Maine and find ticks until December and last year as early as March. I give it all year but stretch it out during those months. Makes me feel better that way.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I use it year round also. But I do stretch the application to 6 weeks rather than monthly during the winter months. I've seen ticks after one mild day in February, so they're out there. My Bridge boy contracted Lyme in the middle of the winter, I contracted it in March, so we have to be careful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts