Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shelby's breeder suggested that I start using Ivomec for heartworms. I talked with my vet yesterday, and although he couldn't tell me to use it, he talked with me about it for a long time and gave me lots of info. With the economy the way it is, I'm all for not spending money when I don't have to.

So, here's my question. What kind of syringe do you use to measure it? Does it have to have a needle on it? Can you reuse a syringe? I know these are probably really stupid questions. Sorry. Also, I've heard it's pretty bitter. Is there a good way to give this so the dogs don't spit it out?

About Frontline Plus. Would it work to get the one for 85-135 pounds and split it between the two dogs? They are 66 and 64 pounds. If I do that, how exact do I need to be in splitting it?

tia

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. It's very helpful. Just one more question...do you use the same syringe over and over again? But, then again, they are so cheap, it really doesn't matter, does it?

This is really going to mean big savings in the long run!

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Ivomectin will not do a thing for ticks. Be absolutely certain not to OD your dog on it- quite easy to misplace the decimal point and then you have a dog with toxicity. Check and double check dosage.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
also- the correct ivermectin is the 1% dilution, and if you ever find yourself drawing up over a ml you are overdosing. I know so so many people who have almost killed or killed their dogs so I cannot overemphasize checking dosage.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Splitting frontline- not recommended.
To do it you'd have to figure the dose and remove from applicator with a syringe and then remove needle and apply that way but you would not be sure you "got it right" without a good deal of math to determine what volume is in the applicator in the first place, and the concentration. It's not advised to split things that are not scored for splitting. Good example is the Heartgard- never split that. It's not scored. FL is about $10 per, while the larger one is about $15. For saving so little it is not worth the risk of overdosing.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
You might discuss this medication with your vet and read about this product to understand how to administer, how much and what other medications this may conflict with. There is a reason heartworm medications require a prescription.

Over medicating is really easy to do. You will need to monitor the dogs weight often. Questions about syringe and reuse should also be discussed with the vet. This stuff also kills hook & round worms so be careful not to over medicate if you worm your dogs. It will not kill tape worms... so if you are having problems with external parasites this will need to be addressed separately.
I'm assuming you have a golden, I've read articles that this medication does not do well with many of the herding breeds so again, discuss this with your vet.

Many heartworm medication contain this medication as well as control tape, round & hook worms and truly not that expensive if you only have one dog. Flea & tick is another discussion as this will not cover either of these.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts