Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
Ramses
383 Posts
Yes definitely. Please go ahead. Thank you very much.

Hello, I got the feedback from the French vet.. She did confirm what the other more experienced members have said already that it's not due to the marble flooring. She said to put Superman on a good quality kibble (do not feed grain-free) and no extra supplements... She thinks the condition can be remedied but that he may not be able to recover fully --- she isn't sure about this. She also wondered about parents' pedigree if they presented with any issues. She did say to put him on a good quality diet and wait for changes

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Hello, I got the feedback from the French vet.. She did confirm what the other more experienced members have said already that it's not due to the marble flooring. She said to put Superman on a good quality kibble (do not feed grain-free) and no extra supplements... She thinks the condition can be remedied but that he may not be able to recover fully --- she isn't sure about this. She also wondered about parents' pedigree if they presented with any issues. She did say to put him on a good quality diet and wait for changes
I would like to thank you and your husband for all the help you have provided. I am so grateful to you both for taking the time. I have stopped all supplements and am only feeding the kibble, curd and some fruits like watermelon, mango, banana.

The breeder here won't provide any information about superman's pedigree. Even if he shows me the dam and sire, something just wouldn't let me believe that he is showing me the real ones. The breeders here just want to breed the dogs and sell the litter off asap. The last time I called the breeder he didn't even remember me and said there are a lot of people who take dogs from me I can't remember everyone so I am sure he wouldn't remember where superman came from. The breeders here have a foul mouth. They are not very literate either. There is no law governing them. There is even fraud with pups registered with KCI which is the equivalent of AKC in India. I am not even sure if superman was his own breeding or if he was just a middleman. Anyways superman is very dear to me. I miss him all the time I am away from him. A HUGE THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

·
Registered
Ramses
383 Posts
I would like to thank you and your husband for all the help you have provided. I am so grateful to you both for taking the time. I have stopped all supplements and am only feeding the kibble, curd and some fruits like watermelon, mango, banana.

The breeder here won't provide any information about superman's pedigree. Even if he shows me the dam and sire, something just wouldn't let me believe that he is showing me the real ones. The breeders here just want to breed the dogs and sell the litter off asap. The last time I called the breeder he didn't even remember me and said there are a lot of people who take dogs from me I can't remember everyone so I am sure he wouldn't remember where superman came from. The breeders here have a foul mouth. They are not very literate either. There is no law governing them. There is even fraud with pups registered with KCI which is the equivalent of AKC in India. I am not even sure if superman was his own breeding or if he was just a middleman. Anyways superman is very dear to me. I miss him all the time I am away from him. A HUGE THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Hello you're welcome 😊. I actually didn't do anything apart from forwarding the message. My husband was the one that asked all the questions back in France..

I have been helped alot by people in this forum (like Prism) when I was very, very desperate.. I like to pay it forward but it's a very small gesture on our part. It was sad for me to see Superman this way and also wondered if our primary vet here would also agree with the conclusions or not (nothing against vet from either countries).. I just didn't want to ask other vets working in that office apart from the primary one because I know personally in one of my situations, I did not get good advice - so hence the delay.

Normally, I think, the breeder knows alot about their dogs and the litters. So maybe that's a red flag as you mention 😕.. but at least Superman's got a very good owner. Maybe if you get radiographs or other info in future - maybe the members here or their contacts or even us in France can have them checked for you... I can only say that in France we might be slower compared to the Americans...

I'm keeping fingers crossed that superman's issues will be resolved 🤞🏽

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Abhishek! How’s Superman now? I have a 4months GR and he looks exactly like Superman and they seem to have the same case.

He started limping 2 weeks ago and I thought it was just a minor sprain from one of his zoomies sesh. One day, we were playing and he suddenly stopped, laid down, and cried coz of pain. I got so scared.

We took him to the vet 3 days after the limping started, they checked his right front leg,they confirmed that there is no bone fracture and no sprain as Loki (my dog) is not in pain when being touched. Like your Superman, he is running, playing, jumping like normal. So, t he vet advised to observe for couple of days.

The limping didn’t stop so we took him back to the vet after 4 days and that’s when the vet suggested to do an xray.

Xray results showed that Loki has a disorder called RICKETS. It could be genetic or Loki probably didnt get that much milk from his mom when he was a baby. Vet said Loki needs more calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D, and more exposure to sunlight. We are now adding some supplements in his food + pain reliever (for his limping) and salmon oil. We will see the vet after 2 weeks to see the progress and if he needs any sort of bandage or not.

Since I am a paranoid mom, I took him to another vet for 2nd opinion and Vet no.2 said the same thing.

Treatment is mainly proper diet and lots of sun exposure. And regarding the tile floor, it’s not the main reason of the disorder but placing a mat or carpet would really help. By the way, we used to feed him Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy kibbles only but now we are adding small portion of chicken or salmon or egg + some veggies on one of his meals daily on top of his supplements. And vet 1 and 2 said less exercise.

Here’s my boy:
Dog Carnivore Liver Dog breed Floor

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Your boy needs nails trimmed up- that'll be helpful downline, keep feet from splaying...
everything builds on the foot foundation, and nails are part of that. Read this whole thread- it'll have good advice for you!

Reactions: Sankari

·
Registered
164 Posts
Xray results showed that Loki has a disorder called RICKETS. It could be genetic or Loki probably didnt get that much milk from his mom when he was a baby. Vet said Loki needs more calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D, and more exposure to sunlight. We are now adding some supplements in his food + pain reliever (for his limping) and salmon oil. We will see the vet after 2 weeks to see the progress and if he needs any sort of bandage or not.

Since I am a paranoid mom, I took him to another vet for 2nd opinion and Vet no.2 said the same thing.

Treatment is mainly proper diet and lots of sun exposure.
This is a bit fishy to me, that a vet would be pushing sunlight exposure for vitamin D deficiency. Maybe there is competing data out, but as far as I know dogs and cats have not been known to produce vitamin D through skin exposure to sunlight. They typically get a sufficient amount from their carnivorous diets, and lost the ability to make their own vit D.

Uhl, Elizabeth W. “The Pathology of Vitamin D Deficiency in Domesticated Animals: An Evolutionary and Comparative Overview.” International journal of paleopathology 23 (2018): 100–109. Web.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a bit fishy to me, that a vet would be pushing sunlight exposure for vitamin D deficiency. Maybe there is competing data out, but as far as I know dogs and cats have not been known to produce vitamin D through skin exposure to sunlight. They typically get a sufficient amount from their carnivorous diets, and lost the ability to make their own vit D.

Uhl, Elizabeth W. “The Pathology of Vitamin D Deficiency in Domesticated Animals: An Evolutionary and Comparative Overview.” International journal of paleopathology 23 (2018): 100–109. Web.
Rickets is commonly caused by insufficient vitamin D and / or phosphorus that’s why bought vets we visited advised the same - more exposure to sunlight.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Rickets is commonly caused by insufficient vitamin D and / or phosphorus that’s why bought vets we visited advised the same - more exposure to sunlight.
Sunlight isn't going to fix this.
Dog needs OFF the Ca+ supps, and onto Vit C only if you must add a supplement.

·
the party's crashing us
4,680 Posts
Dogs do not produce Vitamin D from sunlight exposure like humans do. They only receive Vitamin D from their food. These vets should have remembered this from sophomore nutrition class!!!

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
"They" have now discovered that dogs do get some of their D from sunlight exposure- but the relative efficiency of dietary vitamin D2 versus D3 absorption in dogs is unknown. In this dog's case it was absolutely kinda stupid advice to give to owner, and even at most recent literature, UV mediated skin production of D serves at BEST an insignificant role, so essentially even the minor amount they can produce via sun doesn't change a thing re: Ca+/ P in the body. The useful D comes from their food.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts