Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Oh well, I have no idea sorry. At that age (4.5 months old), I only gave my golden his kibbles only. He did not even get treats. His treats were his kibbles (Royal Canin). The vet have never recommended anything else for us - apart from deworming, vaccinations....

When I meant I will do what Prism says -- it was regarding the vet appointment she set you up with and to send the relevant information and get some insight into Superman's condition....
Oh yes… ok… have sent the information.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I just came back from the second vet. He saw him walk and run before he physically examined all his 4 legs and blamed "the excess calcium" for the conditon of his front legs and asked to stop all supplement.😐 He suggested taking him to swim twice a week for 30 minutes.

He also checked him for hip dysplasia and suggested X-raying him for it. That's it

·
Registered
10,621 Posts
hallelujah.
Unfortunately Superman really was on too much additional (excess) minerals. I would stick w that vet rather than the one who had you giving all this.
Did he do the radiographs? I would love to see them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
hallelujah.
Unfortunately Superman really was on too much additional (excess) minerals. I would stick w that vet rather than the one who had you giving all this.
Did he do the radiographs? I would love to see them.
nope nothing... just physical examination with hands after seeing him walk and run

·
Registered
Ramses
381 Posts
I just came back from the second vet. He saw him walk and run before he physically examined all his 4 legs and blamed "the excess calcium" for the conditon of his front legs and asked to stop all supplement.😐 He suggested taking him to swim twice a week for 30 minutes.

He also checked him for hip dysplasia and suggested X-raying him for it. That's it

You mention the vet suggested x-rays.. ? Will he be doing them or can you suggest him to do them?? These can help quite alot...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
You mention the vet suggested x-rays.. ? Will he be doing them or can you suggest him to do them?? These can help quite alot...
He suggested xrays for hip dysplasia. I asked if he will do xrays for the front legs… he said i would do it but it is not required as it is because of xcess calcium and suggested stopping all supplements. He said it is not an emergency to do the xrays right now and I can sleep over it… what do yall suggest?

·
Registered
10,621 Posts
I dk that radiographs would show more than current state of the pasterns but in the event of an inherited condition causing it, that might show. It is not an emergency, vet is correct. And he is also right on the excess minerals, that comes from him having knowledge on how supplements work in the growing body. I still think Vit.C can help, but nothing at all besides a good kibble is way better than giving a growing dog too much in the way of supplements. He's young, can likely get over this!

·
Registered
Ramses
381 Posts
He suggested xrays for hip dysplasia. I asked if he will do xrays for the front legs… he said i would do it but it is not required as it is because of xcess calcium and suggested stopping all supplements. He said it is not an emergency to do the xrays right now and I can sleep over it… what do yall suggest?

Again stating as fact: Prism, ArkansasGold and Hildae.... all way more experienced than me... Im not experienced but I'll personally ask for the radiographs because I would think you would have a better idea what's going on in his pasterns? It can possibly help with treatment....? Also the vets abroad can take a look at it and make better concrete conclusions..

For my golden, I like more diagnostics as they are factual and cannot be disputed. This way, you will not have any more nagging suspicion as to why Superman is this way... (I am just going by personally how I work in my field and I like to see more facts because it helps me to make a better and more defined conclusion...) Maybe they will reply you soon so you can make a better decision ... I can always be wrong and I have no problem admitting that..

**Edit to reflect: Prism has answered why radiographs might not be useful in your case..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
He's young, can likely get over this!
I love you. Thank you so much for saying this. You are the only person who has said this.

I haven't heard from the doctor you asked me to email. Just letting you. I do not mean to push you or the doctor to reply out of convenience. Just making sure the doctor got the email and that it didn't land in the spam box.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Again stating as fact: Prism, ArkansasGold and Hildae.... all way more experienced than me... Im not experienced but I'll personally ask for the radiographs because I would think you would have a better idea what's going on in his pasterns? It can possibly help with treatment....? Also the vets abroad can take a look at it and make better concrete conclusions..

For my golden, I like more diagnostics as they are factual and cannot be disputed. This way, you will not have any more nagging suspicion as to why Superman is this way... (I am just going by personally how I work in my field and I like to see more facts because it helps me to make a better and more defined conclusion...) Maybe they will reply you soon so you can make a better decision ... I can always be wrong and I have no problem admitting that..

**Edit to reflect: Prism has answered why radiographs might not be useful in your case..
Thank you very much for replying. I will get the xray done if the vets abroad want to look at them. No problem.

·
Registered
Ramses
381 Posts
My husband will be dropping by the vet this Tuesday evening to pick up Ramses' flea and tick pills and he will ask her about superman if you're still interested... Let me know

61 - 80 of 93 Posts