Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Ramses

Registered
Ramses

Registered
Ramses
Thank you very much for replying. I will definitely buy this henceforth. What do you think about the condition of his legs? Will they straighten out?
I'm sorry about the condition of your puppy's legs 馃槙 I'm not at all experienced to advise on such conditions and I did not go through this with my puppy... I can only state that If I were in your shoes, I would listen to more experienced and knowledgeable members like Prism and ArkansasGold.. I guess the first step is to start with the food change and perhaps to take vitamin C (as I read from the thread)? Maybe Prism can clarify for you if you should still continue this and how much?

I really hope your puppy is going to be better....馃馃徑

Registered
Ramses
Thank you so much for replying. I went to the vet on Saturday. He blamed the marble flooring in my house for his condition. He advised placing mats/carpets around the house for superman to walk on. He explained how the slippery flooring caused this. He suggested making him walk in the soil and rough surface and as he is already 4.5 months old the legs might not go back to perfect but could correct somewhat. He said if I went to him a month earlier he would have splinted his legs and the condition would correct about 90%. He said his bones have almost hardened. I am so heartbroken right now.

I now have carpets covering almost 90% of the area in my house where he usually walks/stays/plays. I started taking him for walks when he was a little over 3 months old. Since Saturday I am making him walk on the soil as much as I can. For an hour or so. I have also started massaging his front legs by pressing the joints in the opposite direction.

Has anyone got something to add?

I am not experienced but alot of people I know have the marble type of flooring you speak about and have had puppies as well from 8 weeks of age (they have Labradors so similar to Goldens??). These dogs are now about my Golden's age - roughly 2 years old and they don't have this condition.... I don't really like to criticize vets because it's their field of expertise.. But I find this very strange that the vet just blamed the flooring! 馃檨

Registered
Ramses
This is only getting more and more confusing. Who do I listen to? Are arkansasgold, sankari and prism goldens able to share the contact details of their respective vets?

I would have loved to share my contact of my vet but she doesn't speak English but French (I actually live in France) and I'm right now in a remote no man's place in Norway due to work 馃う馃徑鈥嶁檧锔 I'm so sorry about this. But I can say from what I have seen back in my neighborhood in France, I know of 5 different labrador puppies (then) in different homes/owners that had grown up with marble flooring and are now reaching almost 2 years old.. they do not look like this visually so I'm inclined to feel marble flooring cannot cause this condition....? but it's my belief hence not scientific..

Also ArkansasGold and Prism have so much experience about raising so many puppies and golden retrievers... Personally, I have high confidence in their advice..

If you would really like some advice, I can share this image of your puppy with my husband and ask him to ask for you on your behalf? But this would take time, as all the vets in France are swamped...

Registered
Ramses
Thanks for replying and being so helpful. Please feel free to share the pics with everyone and anyone you like

I'll get back to you as soon as I can.. It may not be a definite answer as the vet in France will not be able to examine your puppy in person and of course as Prism has very kindly warned me before (in my situation) pictures alone are not enough to diagnose... If you get a possibility to do a video consult through a vet Prism knows, that might also help you to understand the situation of your pup better.. Even so, it will be good to know if the French vets have the same consensus as their American counterparts or if they differ - why....

Registered
Ramses
Following up on the nutrition, I was reading again your original post to give the details and I was calculating the amount of N&D food you were giving your golden.. you mentioned 325g puppy food in total. But I believe you wrote.. 100g for breakfast, 25g for lunch and 100g for dinner = only 225g... Are you feeding 100g less or is this a typo? Just to clarify... Thanks..
Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well.

I am new here. I found this forum a few days ago while I was looking for some answers on my golden retriever's front legs.

I have a golden retriever. His name is SUPERMAN. I am worried about his front legs. The knees are knobby and the paws are pointing outwards. He is 4.5 months old. His weight is well above 16kgs. He plays well, jumps, sprints, attacks us and does not limp or has any kind of pain. All in all, he is active. I am feeding him 325grams of N&D puppy food.

Morning - 100grams + Calcium supplement 3 ml + megaflex powder 4 grams + 1 egg white + 1 bowl curd
Lunch - home made food + 25 grams N&D food + 1 multivitamin tablet (Pet Tabs) + 1 egg white + 1 bowl curd
Dinner - 100 grams + Calcium supplement 3 ml + megaflex powder 4 grams + 1 egg white + 1 bowl curd

He also eats fruits like bananas, mangos, watermelon etc. in between his meals.

I am so concerned about his feet. Please show me the way. Please tell me if this will be automatically corrected or if I need to visit a vet. I have read so much about this on the internet and everyone has their own opinion. Everyone says something different. Please take a look at these photos of him.

Look forward to your suggestions. Thank you.
View attachment 893308 View attachment 893309 View attachment 893310 View attachment 893311 View attachment 893312 View attachment 893313 View attachment 893314

Registered
Ramses
That wasn't my post. I wouldn't feed the N&D either. I would find a kibble that meets the wsava guidelines. Do you have access to Purina foods?

Sorry Hildae, my mistake I meant to quote the OP's original post (#1 post) regarding the amount of kibbles he was feeding his golden

Registered
Ramses
I'll also let you know what my vet says - I will be slow please bear with me (as I explained the reason why in an earlier post) but in the meantime, if I'm in your shoes, I'll do what Prism says.

I just wanted to know if I was in your situation what would a French vet say.. - this is in no way a slight on the American or French vets... It's just to understand and further the discussion so I hope nobody who offered you help (including you) is offended by my suggestion to ask my vet. Like I mentioned, I am not experienced and I do not want my comments to seem like a challenge to anyone's experience or expertise.

Registered
Ramses
So basically you are saying cut all supplements, feed vitamin c(how much? When?)? I have already cut the supplements

I think you were meaning to ask Prism...? I was never asked by my vets to give any supplements to my golden and I did not give any on my own initiative - so I have no knowledge on this.. sorry.

Registered
Ramses
No I meant to ask you but everyone can comment.
Oh well, I have no idea sorry. At that age (4.5 months old), I only gave my golden his kibbles only. He did not even get treats. His treats were his kibbles (Royal Canin). The vet have never recommended anything else for us - apart from deworming, vaccinations....

When I meant I will do what Prism says -- it was regarding the vet appointment she set you up with and to send the relevant information and get some insight into Superman's condition....

Registered
Ramses
I just came back from the second vet. He saw him walk and run before he physically examined all his 4 legs and blamed "the excess calcium" for the conditon of his front legs and asked to stop all supplement.馃槓 He suggested taking him to swim twice a week for 30 minutes.

He also checked him for hip dysplasia and suggested X-raying him for it. That's it

You mention the vet suggested x-rays.. ? Will he be doing them or can you suggest him to do them?? These can help quite alot...

Registered
Ramses
He suggested xrays for hip dysplasia. I asked if he will do xrays for the front legs鈥 he said i would do it but it is not required as it is because of xcess calcium and suggested stopping all supplements. He said it is not an emergency to do the xrays right now and I can sleep over it鈥 what do yall suggest?

Again stating as fact: Prism, ArkansasGold and Hildae.... all way more experienced than me... Im not experienced but I'll personally ask for the radiographs because I would think you would have a better idea what's going on in his pasterns? It can possibly help with treatment....? Also the vets abroad can take a look at it and make better concrete conclusions..

For my golden, I like more diagnostics as they are factual and cannot be disputed. This way, you will not have any more nagging suspicion as to why Superman is this way... (I am just going by personally how I work in my field and I like to see more facts because it helps me to make a better and more defined conclusion...) Maybe they will reply you soon so you can make a better decision ... I can always be wrong and I have no problem admitting that..

**Edit to reflect: Prism has answered why radiographs might not be useful in your case..

Registered
Ramses
My husband will be dropping by the vet this Tuesday evening to pick up Ramses' flea and tick pills and he will ask her about superman if you're still interested... Let me know

Registered
Ramses
Yes definitely. Please go ahead. Thank you very much.

Hello, I got the feedback from the French vet.. She did confirm what the other more experienced members have said already that it's not due to the marble flooring. She said to put Superman on a good quality kibble (do not feed grain-free) and no extra supplements... She thinks the condition can be remedied but that he may not be able to recover fully --- she isn't sure about this. She also wondered about parents' pedigree if they presented with any issues. She did say to put him on a good quality diet and wait for changes

Registered
Ramses
I would like to thank you and your husband for all the help you have provided. I am so grateful to you both for taking the time. I have stopped all supplements and am only feeding the kibble, curd and some fruits like watermelon, mango, banana.

The breeder here won't provide any information about superman's pedigree. Even if he shows me the dam and sire, something just wouldn't let me believe that he is showing me the real ones. The breeders here just want to breed the dogs and sell the litter off asap. The last time I called the breeder he didn't even remember me and said there are a lot of people who take dogs from me I can't remember everyone so I am sure he wouldn't remember where superman came from. The breeders here have a foul mouth. They are not very literate either. There is no law governing them. There is even fraud with pups registered with KCI which is the equivalent of AKC in India. I am not even sure if superman was his own breeding or if he was just a middleman. Anyways superman is very dear to me. I miss him all the time I am away from him. A HUGE THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Hello you're welcome 馃槉. I actually didn't do anything apart from forwarding the message. My husband was the one that asked all the questions back in France..

I have been helped alot by people in this forum (like Prism) when I was very, very desperate.. I like to pay it forward but it's a very small gesture on our part. It was sad for me to see Superman this way and also wondered if our primary vet here would also agree with the conclusions or not (nothing against vet from either countries).. I just didn't want to ask other vets working in that office apart from the primary one because I know personally in one of my situations, I did not get good advice - so hence the delay.

Normally, I think, the breeder knows alot about their dogs and the litters. So maybe that's a red flag as you mention 馃槙.. but at least Superman's got a very good owner. Maybe if you get radiographs or other info in future - maybe the members here or their contacts or even us in France can have them checked for you... I can only say that in France we might be slower compared to the Americans...

I'm keeping fingers crossed that superman's issues will be resolved 馃馃徑

1 - 16 of 16 Posts