Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a question for the future...currently we're feeding Innova Large Breed Puppy and doing well, but someday when Rosie's an adult, I'd like to try some of the Fromm 4 star foods. When you feed one flavor and switch to a different one, do you have to make the switch gradually? Or can you just switch to a different flavor all at once, since they're the same brand?

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
No, they're meant for rotation. They are also all stages food... good for all ages. www.frommfamily.com to read more.

That being said, Innova is a great food too. I rotate mine through it also.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they're meant for rotation. They are also all stages food... good for all ages. www.frommfamily.com to read more.

That being said, Innova is a great food too. I rotate mine through it also.
When you rotate Innova and Fromm, do you do it gradually? Or can you do it all at once, since you know your dog does fine on both brands?

The reason I want to switch her to Fromm someday is to give her some variety. I've heard that dogs don't mind eating the same thing day after day, but I still want to give her some different tastes every now and then! Maybe I'm humanizing her, but I can't help her! I love her! :)

·
Didge's Mommy!
1,144 Posts
We feed our dogs Fromm and they told us we can switch between all the flavors at will.... That is one reason whe choose Fromm's... They LOVE the Duck and Sweet Potato.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Mine switch cold turkey and do fine... they've been doing it for awhile. A day or two ago I started a thread about a vet/nutritionist and she is one who approves rotational feeding. For dogs that handle different foods, to me it makes sense since each company uses a different vitamin pack and different foods. What one might be lacking, another might be strong in.

Here's the thread....http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=69410

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
In general if you do that on a regular basis, switching between foods shouldn't be as big of a deal. If the dog has been on one food for years, it would be more of a 'shock' to them to suddenly switch. Also depends on what you are switching to, if it's similar in protein and fat etc. it 'should' be ok.

What you can do is make a point of getting the next bag before you're totally out of the current one, then mix a bit of the new in over the course of a few days. Or like a friend of mine does, take the old food out of the container, put the new food in and then put the old stuff on top and feed as usual so it's mixed for a day or two..

Lana

1 - 7 of 7 Posts