Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What flavor did you get and why?

I was thinking of getting the grain free surf and turf but seen some of you happy with the other flavors. Is there a reason behind the flavor you choose?

·
Winchestersonfieldville
1,328 Posts
I needed to get grain free so I decided on duck and sweet potato. No real reason for that choice. I just read other people who had gotten that flavor is all so that's what I went with. Winchester loves it!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I put Cody on the duck (4 star) for two reasons.... he had previously been on the Eagle Pack Holistic duck, and, if I remember right, the duck has a lower calcium and phosphorous level which he seems to do better on. I occasionally switch up and use the chicken but mostly use the duck. While the goldens do ok on grain free ( I like the Acana), he doesn't. Also, I'm just a little leary of having fish be the main protein source long term. I know Fromm fish has no ethoxyquin, but since so much fish contains other pollutants, it makes me question if this is the best for them. I know this could be me overthinking it.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I needed to get grain free so I decided on duck and sweet potato. No real reason for that choice. I just read other people who had gotten that flavor is all so that's what I went with. Winchester loves it!

The 4-star duck has grains...... barley, rice and oatmeal.;)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put Cody on the duck (4 star) for two reasons.... he had previously been on the Eagle Pack Holistic duck, and, if I remember right, the duck has a lower calcium and phosphorous level which he seems to do better on. I occasionally switch up and use the chicken but mostly use the duck. While the goldens do ok on grain free ( I like the Acana), he doesn't. Also, I'm just a little leary of having fish be the main protein source long term. I know Fromm fish has no ethoxyquin, but since so much fish contains other pollutants, it makes me question if this is the best for them. I know this could be me overthinking it.

Thanks Penny. I wondered since the surf & turf has a higher protein, if that would be best for him since he's 6 1/2 months old. I didn't know if more protein was good since he is still growing? I'm clueless so I appreciate your help. By the way, I don't know if you caught my post about the Kuranda bed that we got - he loves it!! He lays on it but he also stratches at it almost like a treadmill (I'm glad it can't tear). Last night while watching the Amazing Race, my son was laying near it and running his finger across the bottom (underneath it) and Ryder was chasing the sound and movement. He was pretty entertained. But, he lays on it and chews his bones and sleeps - it's an all purpose bed at our house for sure!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Many of the high protein foods say not for under 1 year. However, I haven't done the research to know what's appropriate for pups.... it's been so long since we've had one that young. My gut would tell me to keep them on a more moderate protein level though, not grain free.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I think wheat free is more important than grain free, right?

I don't think it's ever been proven that 'grains' are a problem with dogs as long as it doesn't replace needed protein or are the major source of bulk in the food.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I would try California Natural. It is a high quality food made specifically for dogs with Allergy issues.

With my Dakota, we went from 4 years of horrible ears to clean ears in 6 weeks, and he never had another problem with them for 6 years.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would try California Natural. It is a high quality food made specifically for dogs with Allergy issues.

With my Dakota, we went from 4 years of horrible ears to clean ears in 6 weeks, and he never had another problem with them for 6 years.
What flavor do you feed?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am feeding the Gold Large Breed Puppy Food. I am going to be switching soon and I think I will go with the Gold Large Breed Adult b/c she has done really well on the puppy version and at least at my pet store, the gold line is a lot cheaper than the 4 star line. Our budget is tight, so I want to feed a high quality food, but we don't have a lot to spend.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I am feeding the Gold Large Breed Puppy Food. I am going to be switching soon and I think I will go with the Gold Large Breed Adult b/c she has done really well on the puppy version and at least at my pet store, the gold line is a lot cheaper than the 4 star line. Our budget is tight, so I want to feed a high quality food, but we don't have a lot to spend.
The gold line is great... I just can't find it here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts