Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Fromm family dog food questions

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Petit Cadeau 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally decided to try Fromm since it was on sale! Picked up the chicken a la veg and surf n turf.

Is there any concern with the fat content (15 and 19%)? I'm currently using wellness lbp with fat at 12%. Not so much concerned with her gaining weight but is higher fat in a diet good for the dogs and is it ok for digestion?

If Fromm ok for a 7 mo old? Heard it's all life stages with calcium/phosphorous under 1.2

#2 ·
We've been feeding our 7 1/2 month old puppy Fromm large breed puppy food for months now and we've had to feed him more than the suggested amount on the bag because he was too skinny. So, we're not concerned about the fat content. I'm not sure what Fromm's adult food is like, fat-wise.

#3 ·
I love the whole idea of Fromm- they even raise their own chickens. But we also tried Chicken a la Veg and Surf and Turf. We just had terrible coats and the dogs didnt hold their weight.

#8 ·
Jill I wonder if its possible to describe the negative effects on the coat that some, not all experience. As someone who doesn't really know what a good coat looks like or feels like. Sure I think my dogs have nice coats but what constitutes a good coat on a golden. I don't even know if I phrased that correctly. But I've heard this a number of times here and always wondered. Maybe I think Roxy has a good coat and really doesn't ;)
Maybe I should start a new thread?

#5 ·
We just switched our guy back to Fromm after several months on something else.

I wouldn't hesitate to try Fromm with a 7 month old. You might want to keep an eye on his weight, though, with the increase in fat percentage. (We just learned that the hard way!)
I doubt that an active 7 month old will pack on the pounds as quickly as a 4 year old will, but still... I would keep an eye on his weight-gain to make sure it isn't above and beyond the normal filling out that he's going to do, anyway.

#7 ·
I should clarify my fat content question... Is a higher amount of fat safe/healthy for dogs in general and their digestion?

Surf & Turf is also 30% protein - does that mean softer poos? ;)
Fat provides energy, supplies essential fatty acids, serves as a carrier for fat soluble vitamins and can also prevent dehydration.

You should be fine with the fat in dog kibble. But do not go feeding chicken or turkey skins, gravy etc. or you may wind up with a dog having a Pancreatitis attack, not good.

Fiona eats Fromm, either the duck or salmon, and thrives on it. Great coat, energy level and muscle tone. Whatever food you end up with that your dog thrives on, let no one dissuade you. I have known plenty of dog that have lived very long happy healthy lives on dog chow, pedigree, ole roy, gravy train etc.

Higher protein content in and of itself does not mean softer stools IMHO.

#10 ·
I've fed Fromm's since switching from puppy food to adult food at 6 months. I usually have the Sweet potato and duck or the Salmon variety. Tess loves it. People always remark on the softness of her coat (and as a therapy dog, people touch her all the time), so I guess her coat is fine.

#12 ·
I tried Fromms on Toby for a short time and I was so disappointed when he started to lose weight, lose energy and his coat started thinning and looking bad. The worst was the soft stools, which I attributed to the higher fat content and lower fiber content. I switched to something else, and then his vet and I had his digestive enzymes tested and he has a significant cobalamin and folate deficiency. These probably accounted for the symptoms we saw and attributed to Fromms. We are trying to get those enzymes under control now (it's taking a long time) and once we have them stable I may try again, simply because I like the Fromms concept!

#15 ·
I tried Fromms on Toby for a short time and I was so disappointed when he started to lose weight, lose energy and his coat started thinning and looking bad.
Same experience here with both of our boys after many months on Fromm. We tried just about every formula in the 4-star line with the same results. Their coats had never looked so horrible and they were skin and bones while eating it. We were blowing right through the 30lb bags just trying to keep weight on them. At one point, they were up to 5-6 cups a day. I was very disappointed. I wonder why so many goldens have that type of reaction to Fromm. :confused:

#13 ·
Fromm Family Holistic Gold

Soon after losing our 10 year-old golden boy, Taylor, to histiocytosis last October, we asked a breeder we met during field trials what she fed her dogs. She recommended Fromm Family Holistic Gold. After some extensive research, we immediately switched foods (we previously used a readily available commercial dry food advertised on this website).
Our two girls now have fabulous coats, lots of energy and are not at all overweight. We use the large breed dry formula, and the large breed dry puppy food for our new boy, Bayou. He loves the food and we are now slowly introducing him to the adult food. I can't recommend this food highly enough. We've tried to eliminate variables that may trigger any cancers, to even storing the foods in their original bags, away from any possible cancer-inducing agents. Who knows, but we feel more confident that their food is from a better, more reliable source. Sorry to be so long-winded, but these are our babies. And cancer is the one thing we cannot fully protect them from. But, we're trying.

#18 ·
I agree with Enzo's Mom.
Some dogs thrive on different types of foods, and some don't, just like their owners. Not everything works well for every dog. But, we have noticed a remarkable difference in the coats of our two girls (4.5 years and 2.5 years old) and the coat of our puppy, who will be 1 year old Oct. 24th. With the prior food, there was alway coaxing them to get to eat it. We used to have to "spike" the food with peanut butter, or small bits of crackers to get them to eat it. They've been on the Fromm food for almost a year now and seem to be better because of it. No coaxing, and they all belly-up to their feeding station with great anticipation. Also, there has been no other related digestive "issues", either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.