Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
comet had an accident in his crate saturday morn. all day his #2's were off. lots of pumpkin usually helps. Saturday night he woke us to run out and go again. sunday he was loose but went through the night. monday night he woke us at 2am again to sprint out.

so last night (tues night) we make him ground beef and white rice. his last bowel movement was 6pm tues. i tried for an hour this am to get him to go outside, or on our walk etc with no luck. now it's a waiting game to
see if he'll go with my MIL at lunch (most likely not) or come home to a mess at 5pm with 2 meals sitting in his gut.

can he really get constipated that fast from rice?

i mean his daily kibble is canidae lamb and rice, so he's by default almost ona limited ingredient diet.

what a pain. also thinking he's being stubborn as part of this teenage stage (7 months) or since his spot is on the property line, the sudden loss of all leaves and coverage from teh street distracts him.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We have had a lot of trouble with soft stools and him waking us up in the middle of the night needing the toilet... Like youselves we had 3 or 4 days of it then he went over 24 hours without anything at all.. Our vet said its not uncommon in Puppies when they get an upset tummy its followed by a long period if nothing, its just there is nothing left in his belly... You would probably find that when he goes again it will be a mixture of hard and soft then after that he should go back to normal...

A couple of warnings tho if hes squatting and dosnt go then he is constipated and they shouldnt be straining so that would be something to keep an eye on... Also reoccuring Diarreah in dogs is not a good sign especially if its every 7-10 days.. If its a 1 off then its all part of the "puppy proceess" but if it happens again in the next few weeks I would get a sample to the vet to check its not a parasite of some sort.. Unfortanatly we experienced this with little Shanks and it went on from June until September/October with different problems from Gardia to Anal Gland infections...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gotcha, thank you for the advice.

i guess i am wrong in calling it constipation then as he doesn't even attempt to squat and poop. so maybe he is empty...

was fearing the rice was making comet a walking timebomb.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
i second the idea with him being empty for now. hope he starts feeling better soon.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Yeah, he's empty. When Flora was a pup and had really bad diarrhea she would go a full 24 hours without pooping. I've seen constipation in Flora, the poor dear - they WANT to poop, they just can't.

Hopefully your guy has a little stomach bug that he's just getting over.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
went to the vets last night to be safe since he gets neutered on wednesday, brought in a sample. vet said 60/40 rice/boiled chicken. 1 cup 4x a day. since he's in daycare today we are breaking into 3 meals for today, gave us 5 days of antibiotics. they said no news is good news with regard to teh stool test but i'll call this afternoon anyways.

in other news, i always ask the vet how he looks weight wise, she said he was nice and lean just how she likes em. I was concernced cause he's 41 lbs at 7 months, truely a runt. she was shocked at the amount of food we give him too. 1.5 cups 2x a day in addition to treats. she said she recommends 2.5 cups a day total and that is including the treats for pups his age.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I was concernced cause he's 41 lbs at 7 months, truely a runt.
Glad your pup is feeling better!

Just want to mention that just because he's small, doesn't make him the runt. The "runt" of a litter has a medical reason for being small, etc. Some puppies, on the other hand, are just small.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts