Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My pup George is now 5 months old and is getting rather big! He has been crated during the day and night since we have had him but since Xmas we have entrusted him during the day to have the run of the puppy proofed kitchen. He's been a very good boy with this.

Although the crate we have is the one for golden breed at full size, it doesn't look big enough for him to spend the whole night in. His crate is in our bedroom and we would like George to stay sleeping in our room (eventually with the door open so he can have the run of the house. However we tried leaving the crate open last weekend and he kept jumping on the bed. After over an hour of no and coaxing back into the crate we gave up and zipped him in hiss crate.

How do I teach him not to get on the bed at night? He's allowed up in the morning but I can't have him up there all night there's no room!

Thank you all

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
How do I teach him not to get on the bed at night? He's allowed up in the morning but I can't have him up there all night there's no room!
You're a better person an I. Ben has been on our bed from 5 months. Once we get up to go to bed, He now walks slowly outside, does a wee, and wanders back inside and down the hall and onto the bed like an 80 year old man...Doesn't even look around. He'll stay there the entire night and wake me up 5 minutes before the alarm.

We have a King size bed... and there isn't enough room... doesn't matter how big the bed is there'll never be enough room

·
Sasha, Honey & Toro's Mom
741 Posts
Does he have a bed in your room and can you teach him to lay on that? We have put up gates to try to keep our dogs in room and off of bed? But I have to tell you we usually have one in bed with us all night.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We never allowed our dogs on the bed so the transistion was easy but now that he's been on your bed it will be difficult to change that. Does he wait to be invited?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Work on a go to bed/stay on bed during the day.

One thing I (still) do is put an expen (or two) around my bed so the dogs can't get up there - my dogs can usually sleep with me but there are nights where they are a little too dirty to be up there. It's kind of silly, but way less work than bathing everyone when I'm exhausted and it doesn't happen often enough for me to want to spend the energy to teach them ot stay on beds at night.

·
Sheila 91-99; Haley 01-12
1,301 Posts
Like SwimDog, I don't want Summit on my blanket when he's truly dirty. For this situation, we stretch an unfolded pen across the room to give him space but no access to sleeping people.

Even with air conditioning, dog beds are too hot for my dogs, so Summit sleeps on cool tile. Jet's still in his crate at night.

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
Simple way is to never allow him on the bed, dogs have trouble separating your rules...keep it simple and maybe after he is older (1-2yrs.), you can loosen up a bit with the rule.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
^^ I agree with this. It's too hard for him to understand he can get up there at THIS time but not at THAT time.

Personally, I'd let him up there all the time! ;) But if you really don't want him up there, you have to make one rule.

Reactions: goldlover68
1 - 8 of 8 Posts