Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

My 4.5 month old puppy, Diesel, randomly started going to the door every hour or so to go potty/urinate. He makes it all the way through the night without going (6-8+ hours), but when he's up throughout the day he's been going more frequently. Last week, he was going every 3+ hours, so that's why I'm particularly concerned. He's not drinking a ton of water and doesn't strain when going, so it doesn't look like a UTI? Urine seems normal, he's just going way more frequently than he was before. He isn't playing a lot before hand or being all hyper to cause him to go either.
He's not on any new medications or food. I thought maybe it was due to the snow that just came yesterday, but he started going frequently two days ago. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I agree, I would check with the vet. Sometimes you can just catch a sample and take it in.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
Hi everyone!

My 4.5 month old puppy, Diesel, randomly started going to the door every hour or so to go potty/urinate. He makes it all the way through the night without going (6-8+ hours), but when he's up throughout the day he's been going more frequently. Last week, he was going every 3+ hours, so that's why I'm particularly concerned. He's not drinking a ton of water and doesn't strain when going, so it doesn't look like a UTI? Urine seems normal, he's just going way more frequently than he was before. He isn't playing a lot before hand or being all hyper to cause him to go either.
He's not on any new medications or food. I thought maybe it was due to the snow that just came yesterday, but he started going frequently two days ago. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
Thanks!
Lucky you! your pup is alerting you. At this age if he can hold it an hour, you are doing good. He's a baby! When my girl had a UTI she needed out every 15 minutes... and we did this for 4 months!

An hour is about right at 4 months if they are up and about. Please don't compare to sleeping through the night. If your pup is sleeping through the night that's wonderful. Have you ever noticed that most people sleep through the night but use the restroom constantly throughout the day? When the puppy is active, so is his bladder :) As he grows he will learn how to control and hold a bit longer. A pup at this age does't have total control yet.
But if you are concerned you should have a urine sample checked at the vet.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hi everyone!

Thanks!
If in doubt, go get him checked! Your pup sounds perfectly fine to me. When they sleep, their metabolism slows, therefore they do not need to pee until they wake up....then look out, as it is coming soon!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I ended up taking him to the vet since it was getting pretty bad. He has a really bad UTI so got antibiotics. Thanks everyone! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts