Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 5 month old female golden retriever. Since we got her at 8 weeks, she's consistently needed to be let out to pee every 20 minutes while we're home. (she's trained with bells so she lets us know when she needs to go). If we push her to hold it for longer, she will pee inside the house without fail. However, she is able to be inside her crate when we're away for 4 hours without any accidents. Any advice? We've taken her to the vet where they ran several tests to see if there was an underlying condition and she got a clean bill of health. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would suggest a 2nd vet's opinion. I don't know what tests were done, but frequent urination could be anything from a bladder infection, to Diabetes, Diabetics Myelitis, to ????????????

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Ask the vet to do a sterile draw and a culture if crystals are found. Not going when crated is very different than when they are up moving around. But if they ever have the chance to piddle on the floor and you are not there to quickly take them out to reinforce the training.. they aren't ready to be left out alone yet. 5 months is still pretty young to be trusted alone but agree that she should be able to hold for more than 20 minutes. Does she piddle several time when you take her out? Like she still has the urge to go even though she has gone?
If the sterile draw shows nothing, have a blood panel done as well to check the kidneys. If all checks out then it's back to basic potty training skills 101.
The good news is this time it will go much faster, it's more of a refresher course on what you expect from your pup. But get a clear bill of health 1st, can't expect her to hold it if she physically can't do it. Hope all is well!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! We did have the sterile draw done as well as a full blood panel and kidneys and liver looked good. We will go to a 2nd vet to get another opinion.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Thank you! We did have the sterile draw done as well as a full blood panel and kidneys and liver looked good. We will go to a 2nd vet to get another opinion.
if they did a sterile draw and didn't find anything and blood panel is good this is good news. Because she is only 5 months I might guess you have a training issue. My girl was sick for months and because of this she learned to hold it for 20 minutes... so when she finally got better she still wanted to go out every 20 minutes. She was good to alert when she needed out but if I wasn't there to open the door she wouldn't hold it. So we started with 20 minutes and took her out, then upped it by 10 minutes the next day but had to contain her those last 10 minutes until she figured it out. It took a couple of weeks to work up to 2 hrs. By the time she was 6 or 7 months (I forget it's been a while) she understood going out was about need not by the clock. But we took her out on a leash, rewarded for going ... basic potty training.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,526 Posts
Yeah this is likely a UTI. Sterile draw is a little more expensive, $150 or so I'm my area, but the best way. Doing a sample from a pan can lead to a miss diagnosis and have to do a settle draw later anyway.

Odds that a puppy has diabetes is severely unlikely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much does she drink? My six month old has no control on when to stop drinking, so I have to limit her water intake. We went though all the medical tests and nothing was found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 5 month old female golden retriever. Since we got her at 8 weeks, she's consistently needed to be let out to pee every 20 minutes while we're home. (she's trained with bells so she lets us know when she needs to go). If we push her to hold it for longer, she will pee inside the house without fail. However, she is able to be inside her crate when we're away for 4 hours without any accidents. Any advice? We've taken her to the vet where they ran several tests to see if there was an underlying condition and she got a clean bill of health. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
Have you had any luck getting this resolved? We are having the exact same issue! She just turned 6 months old and is peeing every 20 minutes when not in her crate. She can go 8-9 hours at night and several hours at a time during the day, but when she’s not in her crate, I’m constantly taking her out. Clean bill of health from the vet and was told that it’s probably behavioral. But, she truly needs to go all the time. There has to be an issue we aren’t seeing. What have you found? Anything? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you by chance give your puppy treats for going potty outside? I read if you do that they will want treats and never fully empty their bladder.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Boys pee in fractions- girls this is not true of as they do tend to empty their bladders but probably as a hangover from earlier days in the canine development history boys (who may need to mark their territory) do tend to pee in fractions. I've never noticed this being tied to treats vs no treats,though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I came onto the forum looking to write this exact same post! Bella (just turned 3 months) pees every half an hour during the day (will pee on the floor if I don't let her out) but can hold it up to 5 hours in her crate at night. And if she's in her pen (an enclosed area in the house as I'm tired of cleaning poop off her wire crate every day), she will pee and poo if she has to go...she doesn't have the ability to hold it in it seems. It's a bit frustrating, but she's only 3 months old so I guess I will wait and see how she is in a couple of months. But I"m worried about boarding her if this kind of frequency is her norm!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts