Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
usually once i notice that i can hear him walking on our hardwood floors *click click click* i make a note to make a grooming appt for him. he wont let me trim his nails myself, and i'm too scared to force him and risk cutting it too low.. i would say he really needs it every month, if not more... but i tend to wait a bit too long sometimes so probably more like every 2-3 weeks?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It all depends on how much exercise your dog gets and on what types of surfaces. Oakly and I walk about three miles a day and most of that is on pavement. Consequently I have never in his 2.5 years had to trim his nails. Your mileage may vary. ;)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
i def agree with what Rob just said too! sam is a big baby and doesn't like to walk on sidewalk or pavement... he will literally run from grass section to grass section on our walks... he's so weird! :doh:

the only real running around he does is on grass or sand at the beach... his nails dont get filed down by anything really so he needs them trimmed more often.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
we do Layla's at least twice a week, usually more. A trainer friend of mine suggested doing this to help the quick to recede. we have done this since we brought her home and now you can't see her nails when she stands. (i also shave her feet & toes weekly) I just trim a little off each time, and have yet to "quick" her. Since I started her so young, now it is easy-i just sit on the floor with her beside me and clip them, she doesn't care at all.

·
Lovin my boy Tucker!
1,111 Posts
I would say I cut Tucker's nails once a week. We do this so the quick won't get long and we have been doing it since we brought him home. We take him to the groomer once every few months, and they have always been impressed!! :)

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I got Charlie's nails dremmeled at the vet in Aug. I haven't done anything since and they're not that long. We too go for LOTS of long walks on pavements. Probably in Feb, when he goes for shots we'll get them done again.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Mine get their nails done every week (with the Dremmel). But they are almost never on hard surfaces, which would wear them down naturally. Long nails are very hard on the paws. In extreme cases, it may splay their toes.

I agree, your mileage may vary (YMMV). :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Clipping Nails

Kelso and I walk 3-4 miles every day on 60% asphalt.
Consiquently there is no need to clip his nails.
We've been doing this for 3 1/2 years and nothings changed.

I also don't have to trim his foot hair for the same reason.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Kelso and I walk 3-4 miles every day on 60% asphalt.
Consiquently there is no need to clip his nails.
We've been doing this for 3 1/2 years and nothings changed.

I also don't have to trim his foot hair for the same reason.
Same here, Jacks nails never been trimmed...LOL, Peanut and Rusty for some reason I have to trim once in a while

Fuzzy Butt's

It's a Girl!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Depends on how much they get walked on the concrete. Beau's seem to grow faster than the others and his get done about every 2 weeks. Bama's nails I have done at the vet. He wont sit still for me to do them.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I only need to clip Merlins dew claws. His nails stay really short from walks. It's weird cause he's on the grass more than the pavement!

It's nice because nails clicking on pergo is LOUD! I always know when it's time to get the cats nails trimmed when I can hear him walking around at night. :)

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
I don't know if puppy nails grow faster than adults nails but, we have to trim them about every 2 weeks. I always do it after her bath. I was told by the vet to trim them as often as I trim my own toe nails because the pink part of the pad that grows into the nail can get longer if the nails are not trimmed enough.

·
Love goldens 4 life!!!
349 Posts
I didn't want to make a whole new post about this but...

My Shelby's nails are so long, I've tried having her walk in the street to file them down but it's not working. Riley has been to the vet recently and they always cut the nails for us. I've never done it before.

I want to learn how and I have syptic (sp?) powder to stop bleeding from my iguana years ago. Is there a certain brand of nail clippers that are far superior? Also I'm afraid to take her into Petco or Petsmart to do it because she was kinda mean to the vet tech last time we took her in, and I figured I should just learn how so I can do it in the future.

Shelby's nails are very long and I'm scared they will crack and hurt when I cut them. I plan to buy the clippers this afternoon and just take off very smalls amounts about 1 time a week until we get them down to where they need to be.

A few questions:

*Should I soak her feet in hot water before I do it so its eaiser to cut the nail?
*What kind of clippers should I use? Any certain brands you guys prefer?
*Shelby's nails are black so I can see the nerve so is taking off about 1/8 to 1/4 inch 1 a week a good guess to avoid the nerve?

Thanks in advance!

·
16,000 Posts
Each dog is different, and the growth rate of the nails will be individual, as well. Dogs eating a quality, high protein diet seem to grow nails quickly, as well.
If you are going to buy a guillotine type clipper, I recommend a Resco 747. The blades are replaceable, but you shouldn't have to do that too often with just one or two dogs to clip. Purchase a container of Kwik-Stop at the same time, a hemostatic powder to use if you "quick" the nail and it bleeds.
No need to soak the nails. Actually, it is better to clip a dry nail with a sharp clipper. Don't hesitate, just do it quickly, and you should get a clean cut. If you do it slowly, you are bending the nail, which is uncomfortable for the dog and will cause him to pull back.
With a black nail, clip the hook of it off. With white nails, you can see the quick (blood supply) and will clip just ahead of it. If the nails are very long, you may need to do this every week to get the nail back where it should be.
You can buff off any rough edges with an emory board, or, use a Dremel Tool to grind them.
I use a Miller's Forge "plyer" type clipper, but unless you are comfortable clipping nails, these can be difficult for the average pet owner to use.

I didn't want to make a whole new post about this but...

My Shelby's nails are so long, I've tried having her walk in the street to file them down but it's not working. Riley has been to the vet recently and they always cut the nails for us. I've never done it before.

I want to learn how and I have syptic (sp?) powder to stop bleeding from my iguana years ago. Is there a certain brand of nail clippers that are far superior? Also I'm afraid to take her into Petco or Petsmart to do it because she was kinda mean to the vet tech last time we took her in, and I figured I should just learn how so I can do it in the future.

Shelby's nails are very long and I'm scared they will crack and hurt when I cut them. I plan to buy the clippers this afternoon and just take off very smalls amounts about 1 time a week until we get them down to where they need to be.

A few questions:

*Should I soak her feet in hot water before I do it so its eaiser to cut the nail?
*What kind of clippers should I use? Any certain brands you guys prefer?
*Shelby's nails are black so I can see the nerve so is taking off about 1/8 to 1/4 inch 1 a week a good guess to avoid the nerve?

Thanks in advance!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I don't want to sound stupid but are you talking about a regular dremmel not a special one for dog's nails?

Selka HATES having his nails cut! I know I am bad but I keep putting off doing it cause he hates it SO much. They aren't real long but he clicks when he walks. I try to do it weekly so they don't get so long . I cut just alittle as I am so paraniod of hurting him and making him hate it more than he does.I need to do it tonight. : (

Now Gunner is the opposite. he runs so much that he has never needed his nails trimmed. They stay nice and short.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts