Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
The breakaway collar seems like a good compromise, but how does it work, if you are out for a walk, and the dog is pulling?
My question exactly!

I'm so glad Sadie is ok! Casey goes nekkid in the house, but only because if he were to sneak out the door he would be in the garage and would also have to sneak out that door as well....so it's not as dangerous for him. Also, i've taught him to sit at the door and not to go through it with out my ok....so that holds him back too.
Make sure Sadie's collar really fits her well...like it's not sagging off her neck. (but not too tight either!) that might help with it catching on some things...maybe re-do the tag system if they're hanging all over the place...i actually have Casey's tag wired on instead of using an easy-open clip thingy, so that his tag doesn't dangle so far off his neck.
Best of luck to you and your girl! let us know if you come up with any brilliant solutions! :D

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I recently found a puggle who had a breakaway collar and no tags in the middle of the road. The owner did end up finding me. The problem was when I tried to grab her by the collar and put a leash on her, it kept breaking off her. Luckily she was small enough for me to carry her, but just barely because she was so overweight.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
The breakaway collar is set up so when you attach a leash there are two d rings on either side of the breakaway tab so the collar won't pull apart when a leash is attached. It can be frustrating however if your trying to catch the dog by the collar as it keeps pulling apart...but then that's the whole idea behind the collar.

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Never tried it on a walk I use a harness mine has a big plastic clip that I think would snap if he pulled too hard but not sure

·
Coley - my cuddle bug
2,336 Posts
Coley's always naked except when we're on walks. But, we live in the county and a very quiet country neighborhood so "breaking out" isn't even a concern. He's out in the back yard quite a bit by himself in the mornings and never strays. We don't have a fenced yard. Duke, on the other hand, would go visiting every neighbor but Coley's more of a home body. Thank God!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
none of my dogs wear a collar in the house or outside unless they are going with us.... we have hooks near the door where the collars and leashes are hanging and the dogs know they are going when we grab the collars... I have had to cut collars off choking dogs... its just not safe....

glad your girl is ok

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
The problem was when I tried to grab her by the collar and put a leash on her, it kept breaking off her.
I always keep a lead in my car just in case I see a loose dog. Not a regular leash, though, I use a slip lead. My cousin got bit one time trying to hook a leash to a stray dog's collar. The dog was really sweet, just scared. With a slip lead it greatly reduces the chances of that happening. Collars aren't a factor with a slip lead. In fact, it's what I walk Chance with all the time.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
I recently found a puggle who had a breakaway collar and no tags in the middle of the road. The owner did end up finding me. The problem was when I tried to grab her by the collar and put a leash on her, it kept breaking off her. Luckily she was small enough for me to carry her, but just barely because she was so overweight.
Just fyi for the future use, slip the leash through the handle to make a loop and put the loop around a dogs neck rather than trying to snap a leash onto the collar. In the break away collar case unless you KNOW you have to clip the leash onto both rings the collar would just pull open when you pull on the leash.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm glad she's ok.

I just can't get past the worry of no collar means no identification if they get out somehow. Neighbors don't have microchip scanners, so the dog has to go to the shelter to be scanned.
Our collars have our last name and phone number embroidered on the collar...drs foster and smith purchase.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
Our collars have our last name and phone number embroidered on the collar...drs foster and smith purchase.
But some people don't have their dog wear a collar at home, so if they get out they are not wearing a collar and have no identification.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Freakish accidents, sorry you experienced this. One almost happened here yesterday, it was so unpredictable too.
I was feeding Brooks a treat of a little dab of peanut butter on the end of a large (soup type) spoon. He was so "eager" when he pulled at the spoon it came out of my hand and he somehow tilted his head back and I watched in horror as that big spoon started to go right down his throat!!!
Luckily he then jerked back and the spoon fell onto the floor. If he hadn't done that it clearly was going to go down. OMG!

·
Registered
154 Posts
We had the rough play incident and one jaw got stuck then thet both panicked. It is so scary because they were trying so hard to get apart it took both DH and I to get enough slack to free them. I was way too scared to leave collars on after that. So they are naked in the house and our fenced yard.

We have since had episodes of them making an escape. It is definitely more challenging to catch them. They don't run off, but are full steam ahead thru our neighbors yards until we can get them to come back in the house. Never a dull moment with goldens.

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
With our first golden, part of the purchase agreement was related to not having collars on in the house. The breeder had a dog catch in a furnace vent once and almost lost her.

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
Whoa! That was close! I praise the Lord our God for rescuing your Sadie. I am so glad she is okay. I can understand your wanting to bubble wrap her. I don't even have my dog yet, and I am already feelng protective over her or imagining how protective I will be over her.

·
Mercy Miracle (M&M)
5,097 Posts
With our first golden, part of the purchase agreement was related to not having collars on in the house. The breeder had a dog catch in a furnace vent once and almost lost her.
No wonder she has that rule!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
How scary... such a nightmare to think about it happening if you weren't right there!! Our dogs go naked in our house and back yard for this reason. They are home alone during the days while we are at work and I just couldn't take the risk, especially since they frequently play bite each other around the neck area while wrestling. Yes, we take the risk of them getting out without a collar/ID tag, but they are microchipped.. if we had kids coming in and out, it might be different, but it's just my husband and I and we can handle being extra careful.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts